Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Test Automation/QA/IT Engineers

Test Automation/QA/IT Engineers

Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Test Automation/QA/IT Engineers

Originally Posted by dbd33
I just looked in linkedin at 10 profiles of developers I know. 8 of them use "Software Engineer" or similar as a job title. I know people don't like the term on this board and there may be an issue in a company that includes other types of engineers but it is in common use in Ontrario. I would put something like "Automated Testing Guru" in the title line and "Software Test Engineer" as the job title in the section describing positions held.
depending on the province using the title engineer in conjunction with software may actually be ok.

A strict reading of the engineers and geoscientists act (re. Law) in BC, for example, says you cannot use terms like professional engineer, P.Eng, or associated regulated terms such as mechanical engineer, civil engineer etc. The issue is that the act never really took account of more modern engineering professions such as in the IT industry.

There have been multiple attempts by the professional associations to bring these into line with other uses of the title but I am not aware of anything having been settled or resolved. That being said it is still best to avoid the term so you don’t end up being targeted for enforcement.

Quebec I know is much stricter on use
Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
That's a strange and quite surprising one since reports seem to suggest that the Canadian job market is booming right now, especially in Ontario and with increased demand for employees normally comes improved terms so companies can secure the best people. Unless Canada is fudging its employment statistics in the similar way to how the UK has been doing since 2010-ish.
I'm thinking in terms of 10 years. Employment has shifted over the past decade towards using more casual employees so as to avoid providing pension and healthcare benefits. The number and proportion of computer people employed "on contract" has increased while the payment differentiation of contractors from employees has declined. If the Canadian computer job market was to boom I would expect bodies to be attracted by paying an increased hourly rate and/or allowing the people to work from where they are now rather than having to come here.. Offer someone a contract at fifty bucks and allow them to work from India and they'll bite your hand off (and probably subcontract the work to someone at $15). The same contractor would ask for $90 here. I don't think traditional employee benefits such as physical relocation payments, paid vacations and the like are much of a factor as I can't see that an increase in demand for computer people would ever be met by hiring them as employees.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
you don’t end up being targeted for enforcement.
There is, I suppose, some risk of an engineer reading one's linkedin profile and tutting at one over the internet. I can live with that.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 1:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Usmaan.W
Thanks for all your replies!

Seems like the contracting situation out in Canada is quite different from the UK. Although I'm impartial to a permanent role or contract it was important that the latter counted towards experience for PR... which it does.

As for the job title, again this is something new to me that the 'engineer' title is so regulated. In the UK my job title is 'Software Test Engineer' so I would need to find an alternative job title to apply for in Canada that matches my skillset.

Uzzy

Not if you are self employed... you can be employed part time for different companies, but self employed experience doesn't count towards Canadian Experience Class under Express Entry.
Any periods of self-employment or unauthorized work will not be included in calculating the period of work experience [R87.1(3)(b)].
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...xperience.html

and
Determining an applicant’s employment status

Applicants under the CEC must satisfy a CIC officer that they meet all program requirements [R87.1]. Any period of self-employment shall not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience under the CEC [R87.1(3)(b)]. As such, the CEC requires that applicants demonstrate they acquired skilled work experience in Canada through authorized employment by a third party.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 19th 2019 at 1:56 am.