Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

tenant's rights & responsibilities in England

tenant's rights & responsibilities in England

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:37 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tenant's rights & responsibilities in England

Hello - can you people help?

I let a flat in England and will be moving soonish (to my new house! ) and I'm trying to find info about stuff, ie: how much notice do I have to give? should I expect interest to be added to my deposit when I get it back? does the landlord/letting co. have the right to show my flat - well more like - how much notice do they have to give? do I have to clean the carpets? etc... I can not find a website; I think I'm stringing the wrong words together in Google. Is there such a website and/or general outline of rights & responsibilities of tenants?

<dangles karma>
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tenant's rights & responsibilities in England

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

I let a flat in England and will be moving soonish (to my new house! ) and I'm trying to find info about stuff, ie: how much notice do I have to give? should I expect interest to be added to my deposit when I get it back? does the landlord/letting co. have the right to show my flat - well more like - how much notice do they have to give? do I have to clean the carpets? etc... I can not find a website; I think I'm stringing the wrong words together in Google. Is there such a website and/or general outline of rights & responsibilities of tenants?

<dangles karma>
Hi Wasabi,

I has been along time since I rented a flat, but as I recall all the things you asked about should be detailed in your rental agreement. I do not remember ever receiving any interest on my security deposit when returned.

As for cleaning that was always stipulated that the apartment had to be returned in the same condition as when let, or they start ducting from the security deposit, and generally the smallest defect or but of damage caused a reduction in the returned deposit.

I guess it depends on how well you got on with your landlord/agent as to how strict they are likely to be to the terms of the contract.

The notice period will most defiantly be defined in the contract. On all my rental contracts of more than 6 months, the minimum notice period, after a no get out period of generally half the contract, was 1 month. Ie in a 1year contract the minimum rental was 6 months with no termination and then 1 month notice was required. I did have 1 contract that had no minimum period and the whole contract had to run.

Generally the landlord/agent does not have rights to enter your apartment unless stipulated in your agreement and with your permission and a suitable notice period probably 24 to 48 hours. It is probably in your best interests to be a little flexible on this, especially if you are trying to get out of the contract early.

As I said this should all be defined in your contract.

Regards

Dozzzzy
(Karma Tart)
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:32 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

<dangles karma>
Hi WHP ..... as Dozzzzzzzzy says you should have a tenancy agreement which sets out all that stuff (although it's not a legal requirement ). Alternatively try www.landlordzone.co.uk - I have used that site a lot in the past and it's got some good information there.

Good luck! J
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:04 pm

Thanks Karma Tart and Jenwren.

I do have a rental agreement but during my tenancy the original letting co. was purchased by another so I guess I'm wondering if contracts vary between companies or if there is a 'legal' standard that all companies abide (or should) by.

I scour that website. Thanks.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

When we rented a house, our landlord decided to start selling the house from under us. It was in our tenancy agreement that they were not allowed to enter the house without giving us prior notice, however if we weren't home they were allowed to let themselves in.

When we moved in, the house was a mess and in the 3 years we were there we made a lot of improvements. We spent 2 days cleaning it after we moved out so as not to give them any cause to try to keep the security deposit. The landlord claimed that there were cobwebs behind the pelmet in the living room, and as such wanted to keep the whole security deposit for professional cleaning. We escalated it through the agency, detailing all of the repairs that the landlord never completed, the fact that a badly repaired garage roof destroyed our tumble dryer, the fact that a broken toilet leaked raw sewage through our kitchen ceiling for 2 weeks before he got a plumber out to fix it (and this was our 1 and only bathroom), etc. Needless to say we got our deposit back. But you definitely don't get any interest on the deposit, it wasn't invested, therefore you don't get interest.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
Generally the landlord/agent does not have rights to enter your apartment unless stipulated in your agreement and with your permission and a suitable notice period probably 24 to 48 hours. It is probably in your best interests to be a little flexible on this, especially if you are trying to get out of the contract early.
The Landlord has every right to inspect the property. But the guidance is that they should give you verbal or if you don't trust them written warning. It is their property remember and they might suspect something is wrong should you make them feel uneasy.

At all times be accommodating as in the end they control you.

But if it goes wrong seek legal advice firstly fromyour local council.

They will give you a list of your rights.

No interest is ever given. They are not banks.

Carpets. It might be advisable to have had written statement as to condition as without the landlord may be able to claim/keep monies for cleaning purposes. But it is best to smile and look dumb to begin with. Any problems that you see come out fighting with all guns.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:29 pm

Thanks cov-canuck and SANDRAPAUL.

(FWIW, if anyone's renting in Canada - check your provincial residential tenancy act because, at least in BC, your damage deposit, when returned, must include interest... but don't rely on the landlord or rental company to inform you of that!)
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:55 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

<dangles karma>
Karma tart !

When we quit our rented house in 2002 there was a bunch of disputes from various residents regardong some issues with the letting agent.

Despite this what we agreed (pretty much on our insistence) was to hold back the final months payment in exchange for the deposit we had paid up front (one month only). We were on a 4 week notice so that worked out fine.

This was under a signed rental agreement with all the bells and whistles in place. The company knew we had taken very good care of the place (we were the first occupants from new build) and we allowed them to show it to prospective tenants (whilst we were present only, and we had written to them to state that condition, as agreed under the rental clause) even though there were numerous disputes in place.

Hope this helps.

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of

with regard to interest on your deposit money, you are not likely to get it but letting agents will hold it in a clients account at their bank most of which will only generate very modest interest, but... the agents are legally obliged to tell you of this and what they do with it...!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Tenants in the UK since the late 70`s have been given a lot of strength through Government Legislation.

To those reading this thread - Private Tenants in Canada, through Provincial Legislation enjoy "bomb proof" stability in remaining in a let, it`s tuffer to shift a renter, then in the UK. One reason of course is the freezing winters.