Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tenant in Canada moved to UK, but did not pay last month's rent

Tenant in Canada moved to UK, but did not pay last month's rent

Old Aug 30th 2015, 2:16 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenant in Canada moved to UK, but did not pay last month's rent

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
No I do not!
That is your assassins gear... I felt that it was very appropriate. I just track your prey. You do the dirty deed!
I'm worried that you might fetch the body back, that's an instinct thing isn't it for you gun dog types. Could you just dig a hole and bury them?
Old Aug 30th 2015, 2:36 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

For an increased cut of our fee, I would eat the evidence!
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:16 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Bats and Stinky.... Has quite a nice ring to it
Wasn't there a cartoon about those two.

Oops I got it wrong it's Pinky and the Brain.

Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:01 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

For an increased cut of our fee, I would eat the evidence!
You want meals provided now?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 2:40 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You want meals provided now?
I'm doing you a favour! I'm concealing the evidence
Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
...... You must have had some very bad experiences in life to make you so distrustful of people.
Nope, no bad experiences, and I put that down to being cautious.

BTW Much "verification" can be achieved by looking for consistent information between different sources of information and what a person tells you. Liars usually make mistakes, and identifing discrepancies often leads to other "issues".
Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macarre
Thank you for the replies. Yes, I had a deposit (1 month). But don't think there is going to be any money left after deductions.
I'm curious as to what deductions you are talking about. You had a deposit of one month's rent so shouldn't the only deduction be you deducting the final month's rent from that deposit? The only other things I can think of are (a) loss/damage caused by the tenant or (b) unpaid utility bills. Not sure what the set up is but weren't utility bills in the tenant's name?

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 31st 2015 at 1:59 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'm curious as to what deductions you are talking about. You had a deposit of one month's rent so shouldn't the only deduction be you deducting the final month's rent from that deposit? The only other things I can think of are (a) loss/damage caused by the tenant or (b) unpaid utility bills. Not sure what the set up is but weren't utility bills in the tenant's name?
If the renter skipped out on rent and moved to the UK, there is a decent chance they didn't clean the place and/or left a bunch of stuff that needed to be removed.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If the renter skipped out on rent and moved to the UK, there is a decent chance they didn't clean the place and/or left a bunch of stuff that needed to be removed.
I'm curious about the "deductions" that the landlord mentioned and how those amount to a full month's rent. I mentioned loss/damage and utility bills (although utility bills are usually in the tenant's name unless the property is shared with the landlord). As you said, there might be clean-up fees to get the place into a state fit to rent if the tenant didn't leave the place as it was found. However, I consider that to be part of the cost of doing business unless the tenant left the place in a real mess (in which case, I would consider that to be damage). We're guessing until the landlord confirms. We're also only hearing one side of the story. It could be that the tenant left thinking the deposit covered the last month's rent and wasn't aware of any other fees - whatever they are.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 31st 2015 at 2:40 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious about the "deductions" that the landlord mentioned and how those amount to a full month's rent. I mentioned loss/damage and utility bills (although utility bills are usually in the tenant's name unless the property is shared with the landlord). As you said, there might be clean-up fees to get the place into a state fit to rent if the tenant didn't leave the place as it was found. However, I consider that to be part of the cost of doing business unless the tenant left the place in a real mess (in which case, I would consider that to be damage). We're guessing until the landlord confirms. We're also only hearing one side of the story. It could be that the tenant left thinking the deposit covered the last month's rent and wasn't aware of any other fees - whatever they are.
That is certainly possible since Alberta allows a deposit equal to 1 month rent.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is certainly possible since Alberta allows a deposit equal to 1 month rent.
And the landlord has already confirmed that the tenant gave a deposit for 1 month's rent (see post #26).
Old Aug 31st 2015, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

And the landlord has already confirmed that the tenant gave a deposit for 1 month's rent (see post #26).
But "one month's deposit" and "one month's rent not paid" are a wash, leaving nothing to cover damage or extraordinary cleaning. There might be nothing else to pay for, but it is fairly easy to spend a deposit on damage (more than "normal wear and tear") to carpets, walls, and doors.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But "one month's deposit" and "one month's rent not paid" are a wash, leaving nothing to cover damage or extraordinary cleaning. There might be nothing else to pay for, but it is fairly easy to spend a deposit on damage (more than "normal wear and tear") to carpets, walls, and doors.
Understood and the landlord has been short on details thus all the guessing. It would be interesting to know what deductions the landlord has actually come up with in this particular case. Was it made clear to the tenant that the deposit was not actually for the final month's rent? That is, the final month's rent was to be paid regardless and then the deposit would be refunded afterwards minus any deductions for loss/damage etc. Once the final month's rent wasn't paid, did the landlord try to recover it during that final month? Or did the tenant leave before the lease was up?