Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Temporary Work Visa - Help please?

Temporary Work Visa - Help please?

Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

TheSmiler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Work Visa - Help please?

Hello,

I'm needing a bit of help with my temporary work visa. I sent off for one and I got a package through the other day with my passport in it and a receipt.

I know that you get the visa as you enter the country but I think I need a "letter of authorisation" from the canadian high comission unless the receipt is that.

On the receipt there is a receipt number, a file ID and a user ID and it says Employment Authorisation (Individual) £80.00.

As you all probably know if you have ever tried to contact the canadian high comission that getting information out of them is like trying to get blood out of a stone!

Is the receipt what I need or do I need something else, any info would be gladly appreciated to put my mind at ease?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Work Visa - Help please?

Hmmm. I'm confused too - from what I've always understood, you should get a 'pre-approval letter' from CHC London which is then what you would take to Canada to get your actual TWP.

Definitely nothing else in the envelope? Not even squished down the bottom?!? I assume everything was ok with your application i.e. LMO was all in order, form was signed, etc?

In which case I'm afraid I have no idea but hopefully somebody else will be along with the answer shortly.

Out of interest, what's the job you're going to do and whereabouts?

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, yeah I'm pretty sure that was the only thing inside the envelope and all the forms and stuff were signed and I made sure that I had everything on the checklist they gave me.

I'm going to be a snowboard instructor at Castle Mountain in Alberta.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:33 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheSmiler
Hello,

I'm needing a bit of help with my temporary work visa. I sent off for one and I got a package through the other day with my passport in it and a receipt.

I know that you get the visa as you enter the country but I think I need a "letter of authorisation" from the canadian high comission unless the receipt is that.

On the receipt there is a receipt number, a file ID and a user ID and it says Employment Authorisation (Individual) £80.00.

As you all probably know if you have ever tried to contact the canadian high comission that getting information out of them is like trying to get blood out of a stone!

Is the receipt what I need or do I need something else, any info would be gladly appreciated to put my mind at ease?
When did you send the application off? It sounds to me like they have just sent your stuff back and you are still waiting for your Letter of Authorisation.

Have you tried going onto the CIC website and using the ID numbers to check if you can see an update on your file on-line?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:42 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your temporary work permit approval letter cannot be mistaken. It is a letter from CIC with your name and file number saying that you have been approved for a work permit and says very clearly that you must hand it into immigration ... you will have a seperate letter for each person on your work permit/study permit application.
Hope this helps, (our letters had nothing else in the envelope)
Good luck
Terese
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:46 pm

re-reading your post it sounds like they just returned your documents with a receipt for the payment for your permit application

Last edited by terese677; Dec 10th 2008 at 11:54 pm. Reason: misspelt
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:59 pm

When you arrive at the airport in Canada, you go to immigration and hand in the letter ( and passport etc) and they then write out a work permit, (they decide the time limit )and they then staple it in your passport
then you have a fab time in Alberta!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Well I sent it off over a month ago now and the receipt says the 14th November on it.

Also tried the CIC ID number thing but no joy.

edit: just read your post terese677, thanks for that just so it clears it up although no sign of it yet... and I leave on saturday.

Last edited by TheSmiler; Dec 11th 2008 at 12:17 am.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:31 am

I know people have posted the number for CIC that worked for them in the past (you could try a search) here's crossing my fingers for you for Saturday ( mind saying that can't you just apply at POE with your LMO etc )did you need a medical is that why you went through London?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheSmiler
Well I sent it off over a month ago now and the receipt says the 14th November on it.

Also tried the CIC ID number thing but no joy.

edit: just read your post terese677, thanks for that just so it clears it up although no sign of it yet... and I leave on saturday.
14th November to this Saturday is not really long enough - TWP's usually take at least 6 weeks when applying via London! And can take a couple of months I'm afraid.

If you've got your job offer letter, contract of employment and LMO then you could apply at POE if that helps? Probably your best bet although I don't know how that is affected by you already having applied and whether they'll have a record of that?

Good luck.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Well I am hoping that they'll have it on record but just in case I'm taking all my documents.

Anyway I had no choice as that was when my employer sent me the job offer and he wanted me to start on the 16th December.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 11:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be certain but they may ask you to pay for it again at poe - even if you have your reciept. Someone may be able to correct me but be prepared for it at any rate.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Can't be certain but they may ask you to pay for it again at poe - even if you have your reciept. Someone may be able to correct me but be prepared for it at any rate.
We had to pay again...nice bucks for CIC!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

If you paid once then you shouldn't have to pay again. I know we didn't unless I decided to get my twp but I knew there would be issues so we decided to wait