Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Laptop in Canada ?

UK Laptop in Canada ?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about
Default UK Laptop in Canada ?

Or Canada laptop in the UK?

My question is would it be better to buy a UK laptop and bring it over to Canada to use for a year or wait until we get to Canada buy one there and bring it back to the UK?

Thank in advance for the advice.

Tom
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Laptop in Canada ?

Originally Posted by Loki117

My question is would it be better to buy a UK laptop and bring it over to Canada to use for a year or wait until we get to Canada buy one there and bring it back to the UK?

Tom
Wait till your there and pay half the price
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:26 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Tom
I use my UK laptop in Canada. Because they run on a battery and the transformer pack is normally compatible with either 240 or 110v then everything works fine. So if you already have one no problem bringing it but if you are moving to Canada v soon you might be as well to wait 'til you're here. Half price might be a bit of an exageration but you will probably save a little.

If you buy a laptop in Canada or US it wont have a "£" key - might be a slight nuisance when you get back to the UK.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I use my UK laptop in Canada. Because they run on a battery and the transformer pack is normally compatible with either 240 or 110v then everything works fine. So if you already have one no problem bringing it but if you are moving to Canada v soon you might be as well to wait 'til you're here. Half price might be a bit of an exageration but you will probably save a little.

If you buy a laptop in Canada or US it wont have a "£" key - might be a slight nuisance when you get back to the UK.

Good spot I didnt think about the £ key that annoyed the life out of me when I was working in the states! That and the @ symbol was moved! This kinda ties in with the last question about finding prices for things in canada for example there is a Dell on sale over here at the moment with 2gig of ram and a 120 gig hd for £390 Do they have this sort of price in Canada?

Thanks again for the help,

Tom
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:36 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

You won't save a great deal by waiting till you get to Canada on a Dell.... if you're going to be here for another year, buy one now.... if you're going soon, wait, as Dell's warranty isn't worldwide (except select models).
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:39 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leecyndisanders
Wait till your there and pay half the price
Laptops are not cheaper in Canada. There are loads of additional charges that are not reflected in the advertised prices. Mail in rebates you have to wait months for, no decent software included, no printers and no cable (s) to plug the thing into the wall, for example. I have a UK lap top and one bought here. The UK one worked out cheaper by about £60 in the end.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Good spot I didnt think about the £ key that annoyed the life out of me when I was working in the states! That and the @ symbol was moved! This kinda ties in with the last question about finding prices for things in canada for example there is a Dell on sale over here at the moment with 2gig of ram and a 120 gig hd for £390 Do they have this sort of price in Canada?

Thanks again for the help,

Tom
Just went to the Dell Canada website and configured their cheapest laptop Intel® Celeron® 550 (1MB cache/2.00GHz/533Mhz FSB) with 2Gb ram and a 120GB hard drive, 15.4" monitor, 24X DVD burner and wireless internet $569 (approx £272) plus taxes.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dingbat
Laptops are not cheaper in Canada. There are loads of additional charges that are not reflected in the advertised prices. Mail in rebates you have to wait months for, no decent software included, no printers and no cable (s) to plug the thing into the wall, for example. I have a UK lap top and one bought here. The UK one worked out cheaper by about £60 in the end.
Then compare this futureshop dell

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

to the same amazon dell

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiro.../dp/B00196ISBM

at todays rate it is approx $875 from amazon and 699 from Futureshop 175 cheaper in my book.

Granted not all will be cheaper but at least you have mail in rebates. In the UK these are very few and far between
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:17 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

We brought over both our laptops and they work fine .

Don't think it works out alot cheaper ,tbh.

We also brought over our pc as well
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leecyndisanders
Granted not all will be cheaper but at least you have mail in rebates. In the UK these are very few and far between
I can't imagine anyone collects on those. I find that either the company doesn't honour the rebate or they do but in US dollars which, after the conversion fee, makes the rebate worth very little indeed. I think you have to decide on the purchase independent of the rebate and then, if it comes, treat it as a prize.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't imagine anyone collects on those.
We have. Twice. Prompt payment in Canadian dollars both times. Though why they can't simply knock off the $50 is irritating.

I guess they really on people not bothering.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We have. Twice. Prompt payment in Canadian dollars both times. Though why they can't simply knock off the $50 is irritating.

I think i have decided to do it once I get over to CA we have a laptop here that should last until we arrive anyway! Thanks for all the help!

Tom
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Though why they can't simply knock off the $50 is irritating.
I believe it has something to do with manufacturer recommended pricing (but could be totally wrong, and am willing to be corrected ).... either the shop cannot advertise the price for less (due to contract) or the manufacturer has to offer the same price through numerous shops....

The mail-in (eventually) gives you a discount without then having to break their agreements.....

But I agree.... it's a pain in the butt!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ramsey
I believe it has something to do with manufacturer recommended pricing (but could be totally wrong, and am willing to be corrected ).... either the shop cannot advertise the price for less (due to contract) or the manufacturer has to offer the same price through numerous shops....

The mail-in (eventually) gives you a discount without then having to break their agreements.....

But I agree.... it's a pain in the butt!
They do it in the UK with mobile phones all the time but a investigation showed that if everyone who could cash in a rebate did the companies would go bankrupt!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

By having you send in the rebate works out better for the company. Kinda false advertising. They know if they advertise rebates more people may purchase, but not all will send in the rebate. Result is high sales little rebate. On the flip side, knock of the rebate at source and result is high sales but less profits. All to do with marketing gimmicks etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.