Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Telegraph: Canada, the best place to live ...

Telegraph: Canada, the best place to live ...

Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:03 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telegraph: Canada, the best place to live ...

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Yes, but most people don't live downtown anywhere!

And why have you picked-on northern towns.
Because that is where i am from, Down town, Blackpool.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:06 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Because that is where i am from, Down town, Blackpool.
Then Toronto is a step up for you.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:08 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Ha Ha yeh, one small step for mein, one big step for mein family

Last edited by magnumpi; Apr 24th 2011 at 1:17 pm. Reason: N. Armstrong had a small one
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:11 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think you're right in so far as most people who read the Telegraph don't consider.
I do. Many things. Although I agree with the absurdity of the sample selection and size in this survey. Still, never letting the facts get in the way of a good story is scarcely a philosophy limited to the Torygraph. Hyperbole has never featured in the pages (or pixels) of the Grauniad has it? (Granted it may never have been spelled properly.)
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:22 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes kent is nice. I have worked that area on several occasions. I could never afford to live there though.

Compared to ontario, yes, kent would have some apeal.

But,compare ontario to downtown blackpool. Preston, blackburn, bolton, hartlepool, and ontario apears idealistist.
Wouldn't moving to Kent have been easier and nicer?
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:23 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
If he lived in Toronto that might be true.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Wouldn't moving to Kent have been easier and nicer?
No.

I would still have to commute to Scotland, Wales and Mid England, incl Bpool to work. Does not matter where you live in the UK you still goto travel the length and breadth of the country to work as a PI.

As i said in a previous thread, i get to go home at night living within the G...Toronto...A.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Returning to the subject, if you were to also look on the Aus & NZ sites, you would also find similar complaining, for example- with Aussie, its about house prices & with NZ, the salaries.

My own take is that the happier you are in your immigration, the less likely you are to seek out sites such as British Expats, as such- the number of people who bitch & complain are higher than those who wax lyrically about how wonderful their move has been.

The more tangible document I reference is the Economist 'best city to live in' report each year. I don't think its an accident that Aus, NZ & Canada have, within the last 5 years, comprised 60-70% of the top 10 places. It may not be 100% correct, but it is indicative of my own thoughts.

I have lived in all 3 places. NZ works for me presently, as I have kids at a school age & have no desire to send them to a private school to get a good education. I have not been disappointed, but this sort of thing is highly subjective. At the age of 25, Toronto, London & to a lesser extent, Sydney- held a good deal more appeal for me.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 5:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

No.

I would still have to commute to Scotland, Wales and Mid England, incl Bpool to work. Does not matter where you live in the UK you still goto travel the length and breadth of the country to work as a PI.

As i said in a previous thread, i get to go home at night living within the G...Toronto...A.
Plus we don't like northerners very much.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:03 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
If he lived in Toronto that might be true.
I thought he did as he has it as his location. Who would pretend to live there ?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

"More than half of those Britons living and working abroad earn between £50,000 and £100,000"

Is that really true? One person or the household income?

If it is one person's salary, that is surely impressive.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidsk
"More than half of those Britons living and working abroad earn between £50,000 and £100,000"

Is that really true? One person or the household income?

If it is one person's salary, that is surely impressive.
Bear in mind that this is a sample of Natwest International Banking clients published in the Telegraph. This demographic is likely to container higher earners. Doesn't neccessarily follow that all are in this position.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howick
My own take is that the happier you are in your immigration, the less likely you are to seek out sites such as British Expats, as such- the number of people who bitch & complain are higher than those who wax lyrically about how wonderful their move has been.
I agree to some extent. I have met many happy and long-term Brits here in Calgary.

None of them are members here, or read BE. How is that possible?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howick
I agree entirely. I love living here, and as such I rarely come to this forum other than to give advice and help others, which I don't always have time to do. Once I've spelled out everything I'm happy with there's not much else to say, but people who are unhappy can keep finding more and more things to complain about...