Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Telegraph: Canada, the best place to live ...

Telegraph: Canada, the best place to live ...

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telegraph: Canada, the best place to live ...

Originally Posted by Tangram
I don't think that theory holds water, even if it was offered tongue in cheek.

I love it here, enjoy many activities away from my mac, but as you can see have a reasonable amount of posts since joining, as do you ( in fact you have a higher post rate than I do ).
I didn't say that everyone who posts is unhappy....I just suggested the possibility that perhaps a higher proportion of them are. And yes, it was tongue in cheek.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:33 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I didn't say that everyone who posts is unhappy....I just suggested the possibility that perhaps a higher proportion of them are. And yes, it was tongue in cheek.
Fair enough. But I still don't think it's true or has much relation.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:43 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. But I still don't think it's true or has much relation.
Me neither. Well, maybe today. Cos I've spent it assembling furniture, getting bits off tree of the roof, pressure washing the outside benches and doorsteps and now I've got to mow the lawn. Damn you domestic chores!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 12:09 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Me neither. Well, maybe today. Cos I've spent it assembling furniture, getting bits off tree of the roof, pressure washing the outside benches and doorsteps and now I've got to mow the lawn. Damn you domestic chores!!!
We have just got home after a weekend away at my cousins place.

I used my fone to keep updated with this forum and a rc plane forum were we were aranging another day out at the flying field for tmw.

These new (well new to me) smart fones are great.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:28 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
....... now I've got to mow the lawn. Damn you domestic chores!!!

Serves you right for choosing to live in a place where lawns dare to start growing before mid-May at the earliest!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:35 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well according to the article, the survey is based on a poll of 1000 expats, presumably (if the poll was well designed) mostly in Australia, the US and in EU countries, especially Spain.

I'd think of those 1000, perhaps 100 are in Canada. In Canada: so that's maybe 10 per province.

C'mon, it is a Telegraph article. Just ignore it.
Originally Posted by Greenhill
How can we be sure the demographic data used to make the poll is even derived from a fair representation of all types of British "expats"? It might just be an advert for "NatWest International" (whatever that is...), for all we know.

+1 on "ignore it".
Well, it would seem likely that those polled are NatWest International (off-shore banking) customers, and as you say, only 1000 in total, so the demographic is bound to be somewhat skewed ....

I only posted it as I believe that most people who read that article in the Telegraph will not consider the demographic or sample size for one instant, and many might well leap to the conclusion that "Canada is definitely the place to go!!"

Batten down the hatches!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Well, it would seem likely that those polled are NatWest International (off-shore banking) customers, and as you say, only 1000 in total, so the demographic is bound to be somewhat skewed ....

I only posted it as I believe that most people who read that article in the Telegraph will not consider the demographic or sample size for one instant, and many might well leap to the conclusion that "Canada is definitely the place to go!!"

Batten down the hatches!
I think you're right in so far as most people who read the Telegraph don't consider.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:36 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm rather concerned by this piece of the article:

"The country does, however, have one crippling disadvantage for expats. It is one of the 150 or so countries where British migrants can expect to have their pensions frozen at the rate they are when they first start drawing them abroad - something which causes serious financial difficulties for many of the country's oldest British settlers. "

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 3:43 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999

"The country does, however, have one crippling disadvantage for expats. It is one of the 150 or so countries where British migrants can expect to have their pensions frozen at the rate they are when they first start drawing them abroad - something which causes serious financial difficulties for many of the country's oldest British settlers. "

We should start a petition don't you think ?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 4:06 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, not another petition ! Why don't we just all buy block heaters and melt the freeze ?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:01 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by lmartin999

This is News to you? ... after all the threads we've had on here over the years?

Put down that wooden spoon right now sir!
Old Apr 24th 2011, 4:13 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I mis read this as Telegraph (Cove), Canada, the best place to live..must get my eyes checked
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by magnumpi
You dont hate canada? But you would rather live in the uk!

Even though on your jollies you most likley did not do a full weekley house hold shop, attempt to get a job, sell or buy a house, go further north than watford gap? ect.

Not every one who lives in the uk spends all week drving around admiring the scenery and sitting in pub beer gardens.
I moved back to the UK and did not hate Canada. For us it was the not the place for us after 8 years.

I took my Canadian friends this weekend around the countryside and took them to country pubs. Their daughter move to Kent for work and she loves the UK.
We walk along the Dover seafront and along the North Downs footpaths. They through it was great so many people were enjoying the warm weather, fishing, sailing, sailboarding, walking and people swimming.

They are from Ontario and they chatted about living costs such as food, hydro, insurance, housing costs all rocking up in price. To me it sounded not difference to what we are experiencing in the UK with high inflation.

The were sitting on my patio over the weekend and kept on about our views and they said that the through England was a nice place to live and could see why my family and their daughter likes living in Kent.

We found not much difference in day to day living and standard of living between living in Ontario and England. Financially we are better off in the UK as I earn more money and have a smaller house to run compared to Canada.

Hudd

Last edited by huddm; Apr 24th 2011 at 10:14 am.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:01 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes kent is nice. I have worked that area on several occasions. I could never afford to live there though.

Compared to ontario, yes, kent would have some apeal.

But,compare ontario to downtown blackpool. Preston, blackburn, bolton, hartlepool, and ontario apears idealistist.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
But,compare ontario to downtown blackpool. Preston, blackburn, bolton, hartlepool, and ontario apears idealistist.
Yes, but most people don't live downtown anywhere!

And why have you picked-on northern towns. I'm sure that Ontario towns and cities have their crap areas (Edmonton and Calgary, here in Alberta certainly do). And we certainly have our fair share of social problems. When will UK newcomers stop viewing Canada as some of kind of nervana, where the kids are ALWAYS polite and well-behaved, drivers are considerate and the homeless just genial and jovial characters dotted around the landscape? Oh, and all the houses are luxuriously appointed and cost only $100,000? (And, dare I say it? There are not so many immigrants!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.