Reload this Page >

Taxes again - Assets and inheritance

Taxes again - Assets and inheritance

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxes again - Assets and inheritance

OK I understand that even on work visas, one can be a tax resident in Canada

a- What is acceptable evidence or documentation for valuing assets at the entry into Canada. Does it have to be a valuation performed the same day/month etc

Eg. for property, how will Canada value this (taken as having acquired property at X CAD)

Is a real estate opinion/email enough or do you have to get formal valuations?

b- For inheritances, say these are not taxable in the home country due to no death taxes. However, will Canada tax these?

c-Do people do these foreign income and asset returns on their own, or is an accountant necessary?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes again - Assets and inheritance

Originally Posted by lookingtogo
OK I understand that even on work visas, one can be a tax resident in Canada

a- What is acceptable evidence or documentation for valuing assets at the entry into Canada. Does it have to be a valuation performed the same day/month etc

Eg. for property, how will Canada value this (taken as having acquired property at X CAD)

Is a real estate opinion/email enough or do you have to get formal valuations?
The tax value in Canada is the fair market value on the day you become tax-resident here coverted to Canadian dollars at the Bank of Canada exchange rate that day.

A formal written appraisal by a qualified surveyor is bullet proof. Lesser evidence like a letter from an estate agent will probably be good enough. I would want something in writing for my own peace of mind. That said, the CRA will quite likely accept your return as filed, especially if it is accompanied by a large cheque.

b- For inheritances, say these are not taxable in the home country due to no death taxes. However, will Canada tax these?
No inheritance tax in Canada. It is all yours to keep.

c-Do people do these foreign income and asset returns on their own, or is an accountant necessary?
You can do it yourself.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No inheritance tax in Canada. It is all yours to keep.
Very helpful. Thank you Jon.

To clarify the inheritanec point:

If I inherit an asset in the UK which is tax free (in the UK), Canada will also deem it tax exempt (foreign income/asset tax exempt) - is that correct?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lookingtogo
Very helpful. Thank you Jon.

To clarify the inheritanec point:

If I inherit an asset in the UK which is tax free (in the UK), Canada will also deem it tax exempt (foreign income/asset tax exempt) - is that correct?
There is no tax on the acquisition of the asset. Its tax cost in Canada is its fair market value on the day you inherit it, converted at the exchange rate that day. Any income or gain from the asset after you have inherited it is taxable in Canada. It is also potentially reportable on a T1135.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Ahh I see. Thank you again Jonboy. Interesting - and awful!