Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can we afford to live on VI on this?

Can we afford to live on VI on this?

Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can we afford to live on VI on this?

Having read a few posts on here I am wondering if I can manage TO AFFORD to retire on VI. I have seen a property near fair winds golf club that I can afford to buy out right, I get a regular income of approx $30k per year from a business venture, that might deal with my day to day expenses, is this doable? If I buy my property and car outright when I arrive, is $30k pa enough to live on and retire in my 40's. I child in tow (16 nearly 17) me and mrs y.

Don't get me wrong, I might work once I see the right opportunity, but if I wanted to relax for 17 years and do leisure, is it a goer?

Incidentally, I may return to UK when I am 67 to get my uk state pension and live out my life, but then again I might not, I have a business in UK that I could release capital from if the going gets tough, but would prefer not to.

Incidentally, do I have to pay into a canadian pension fund to benefit from it? Mad question I know, I cAn only find the years to qualify, not what I have to pay to qualify, I suspect the Canadians will want some tax from me, does this entitle me to a pension?

Thanks, I look forward to your replies.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:59 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we afford to live on VI on this?

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Having read a few posts on here I am wondering if I can manage TO AFFORD to retire on VI. I have seen a property near fair winds golf club that I can afford to buy out right, I get a regular income of approx $30k per year from a business venture, that might deal with my day to day expenses, is this doable? If I buy my property and car outright when I arrive, is $30k pa enough to live on and retire in my 40's. I child in tow (16 nearly 17) me and mrs y.

No idea, but I know a man who does.

Don't get me wrong, I might work once I see the right opportunity, but if I wanted to relax for 17 years and do leisure, is it a goer?

Incidentally, I may return to UK when I am 67 to get my uk state pension and live out my life, but then again I might not, I have a business in UK that I could release capital from if the going gets tough, but would prefer not to.

Incidentally, do I have to pay into a canadian pension fund to benefit from it? Mad question I know, I cAn only find the years to qualify, not what I have to pay to qualify, I suspect the Canadians will want some tax from me, does this entitle me to a pension?

Yes.

Thanks, I look forward to your replies.
Answers above
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

If you were debt free in a similar situation in the UK, could you afford to retire? The cost of living on VI is comparable, so could you continue to support your family, pay for higher education if necessary, fix the house or car as needed, take a holiday etc etc? I can't see how it'd be a fun lifestyle, just subsistence living.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Answers above
Yes to a pension or yes I have to pay something in?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
If you were debt free in a similar situation in the UK, could you afford to retire? The cost of living on VI is comparable, so could you continue to support your family, pay for higher education if necessary, fix the house or car as needed, take a holiday etc etc? I can't see how it'd be a fun lifestyle, just subsistence living.
Yes I could afford to retire in UK, but not paying for higher education. in UK you don't have to pay for higher ed, they get student loans and a little support from home.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:13 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I could afford to retire in UK, but not paying for higher education. in UK you don't have to pay for higher ed, they get student loans and a little support from home.
Don't you have to pay for the whole course or are you in Scotland?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:14 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to pay for higher ed in UK? Nonsense !
It's no different in Canada. They either get loans or,if they're lucky, assistance from home. Nothing is free, either in the UK or in Canada.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
No idea, but I know a man who does.

As 'hinted' at, I could and do. With less and more people to pay for when I was first new here.

I suspect you might, however, be used to a different lifestyle to the one I and the Canadian family I now have were used to.

On the other hand your teen may be independent of you soon, so maybe you have to think 'two' instead.

By the way, you don't need to return to the UK to qualify for your pension, you only need to be there for annual uprating.

There is a pension in Canada based on years residence rather than paying into (as a resident you will have contributed taxes anyway) but it's income related and your other income would likely rule it out.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Don't you have to pay for the whole course or are you in Scotland?
I don't, the student does and they pay it back when they earn more than £23k pa.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:19 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Fly at it then. I don't envy the lifestyle it'll afford you. By the time you've paid property and car insurances, property tax, utilities, TV, Internet, MSP premiums and all the usual bills each month, you're not going to have a great deal left over for gas, groceries and any luxuries or unexpected overheads. $2,500 per month for 3 adults isn't going to provide much scope for enjoying yourselves.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:21 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I don't, the student does and they pay it back when they earn more than £23k pa.
Oh right, so your child's problem then eh?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:33 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

As 'hinted' at, I could and do. With less and more people to pay for when I was first new here.

I suspect you might, however, be used to a different lifestyle to the one I and the Canadian family I now have were used to.

On the other hand your teen may be independent of you soon, so maybe you have to think 'two' instead.

By the way, you don't need to return to the UK to qualify for your pension, you only need to be there for annual uprating.

There is a pension in Canada based on years residence rather than paying into (as a resident you will have contributed taxes anyway) but it's income related and your other income would likely rule it out.
I wasn't referring to you.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Oh right, so your child's problem then eh?
Why do I get the impression that you are trying to irritate me? Forgive me if I am wrong.

In the UK, that would be the case, her problem, it is the same for many going to uni. It is more likely that she will go to uni on Canada. So I will likely have to find some funding, notwithstanding this, I opened a thread about uni and funding in Canada, funding is dependant on parental income to some degree, if I am on a low income, she will receive more grants, and perhaps her grandparents may help with the fees. But that is a whole different can of worms..."
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do I get the impression that you are trying to irritate me? Forgive me if I am wrong.

In the UK, that would be the case, her problem, it is the same for many going to uni. It is more likely that she will go to uni on Canada. So I will likely have to find some funding, notwithstanding this, I opened a thread about uni and funding in Canada, funding is dependant on parental income to some degree, if I am on a low income, she will receive more grants, and perhaps her grandparents may help with the fees. But that is a whole different can of worms..."
Wrong, innit? To bring only a low income into the country when you could bring more, not to work, and then to claim benefits such as education subsidies because the income is low. Bloody immigrants, coming here, sponging off the country.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Wrong, innit? To bring only a low income into the country when you could bring more, not to work, and then to claim benefits such as education subsidies because the income is low. Bloody immigrants, coming here, sponging off the country.
There are so many in the UK feel the same way, of course I do not feel that way, I suspect I will contribute like so many in Canada, I just don't want to be destitute soon After I arrive in Canada. I think we can just about get away with it and look for a business or job in the medium term, once I have made some connections where we live. Perhaps the area needs a great cook to make life more palatable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.