Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax Returns - Canada

Tax Returns - Canada

Old May 13th 2015, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Returns - Canada

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Because, when a person tries to file a return on-line, the CRA's system does some data matching to verify the identity of the filer. One example is it checks if the date of birth on the tax return is the same as the date of birth they have recorded against the filer's SIN number. If they cannot complete this verification they will reject the file.

Most Canadian children's SINs and dates of birth are in the CRA's system as their parents claimed them as dependents on their tax returns. Therefore most Canadian children can file their first returns on-line. New immigrants cannot.
Ok but if I understand what you're saying, it's not the fact that they are Canadian citizens which would allow a first time filer to file online. You're saying it's whether or not they have been included on prior tax returns. For example, I have 4 kids who are all Canadian citizens. Two of them have been claimed as dependents on Canadian tax returns (including my oldest daughter who just filed for the first time herself). The younger two have not and have never even lived in Canada. So, from what you're saying, neither of the younger two would be able to file their first Canadian tax return online despite being Canadian citizens. I would have thought that once they apply for SINs, then they would be "in the system" and their name/DOB/SIN could be validated when they file a tax return.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 13th 2015 at 4:43 pm.
Old May 14th 2015, 9:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marko86bfc
Wow never imagined it would take so long and im in Canada too.

Oh well sounds like its the ordinary then.
They're allowed up to 60 days to process a paper return, iirc what the agent said to me a few years ago. I filed around the start of April, no notice of assessment yet but they cashed the cheque immediately. And that was the Winnipeg tax centre.
Old May 25th 2015, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

We filed about 6 weeks ago by paper for our first return. I was hoping to see our refund sooner than later but I guess I was too optimistic!
Old May 25th 2015, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
We filed about 6 weeks ago by paper for our first return. I was hoping to see our refund sooner than later but I guess I was too optimistic!
Yeah I filed April 1st by paper from the UK so imagine we're on similar sort of time frames.
Old May 25th 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It does get faster once you are in the system ........... although that is no consolation to you right now!

We went to our Financial Advisor's office on April 29 to sign the necessary forms, and our refunds were deposited in our bank account on May 7th

Interestingly though, we did not get any notification of the refunds going in, and only got the Notices of Assessment today ........ they were sent first to the Financial Advisor (stamped received May 13) who checked the figures out carefully before forwarding on to us, mailing date last Thursday.

Thar's the first time in about 47 years of filing that we haven't received the NOA very close to the refunds going into the bank.
Old May 26th 2015, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
It does get faster once you are in the system ........... although that is no consolation to you right now!

We went to our Financial Advisor's office on April 29 to sign the necessary forms, and our refunds were deposited in our bank account on May 7th

Interestingly though, we did not get any notification of the refunds going in, and only got the Notices of Assessment today ........ they were sent first to the Financial Advisor (stamped received May 13) who checked the figures out carefully before forwarding on to us, mailing date last Thursday.

Thar's the first time in about 47 years of filing that we haven't received the NOA very close to the refunds going into the bank.
Yeah last year I got the refund within 10 days of filing electronically so this is painful haha
Old May 26th 2015, 2:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the joy some folks seem to get from getting a tax refund. It is a refund, you are getting your own money back, money that you need not have paid the government in the first place. You get no interest, the govt gets money interest free!
Old May 26th 2015, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Marko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond reputeMarko86bfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, received an email that I will be able to view my Notices of Assessment online on Thursday. Does anyone know whether I will be receiving the refund around this time or does it still take some time after receiving this also?

Thanks
Old May 26th 2015, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I don't understand the joy some folks seem to get from getting a tax refund. It is a refund, you are getting your own money back, money that you need not have paid the government in the first place. You get no interest, the govt gets money interest free!

Both of us got large refunds this year, due to two somewhat unusual factors .........

1. Medical expenses not covered by Pharmacare, Extended Health or Dental Insurance. This expense happens every year, but the amount varies. This year, they were particularly high. So far as I know, it is stupid to reduce the amount of tax taken from our pensions on the off chance that we will have really high medical expenses every year

2. We sold our vacation property in March last year, and are carrying the mortgage for 2 years. We sold for more than we originally paid, but the capital gain and the interest part of the mortgage payments were balanced off against the amount we had spent on major structural repairs. The interest on the mortgage will count as income in the next 2 income years.

I don't like to get the huge amounts we got this year ......... but I do prefer to get a small refund back rather than have to write yet another cheque to the government
Old May 26th 2015, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

The joy is that you *could* have owed money to them instead! I think it's especially joyful as you rarely get a tax refund in the UK if you are on PAYE and haven't had a break in employment.
Old May 26th 2015, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

The joy is that you *could* have owed money to them instead! I think it's especially joyful as you rarely get a tax refund in the UK if you are on PAYE and haven't had a break in employment.

Do you not get deductions in the UK for things such as medical expenses over 3% of your net income, donations, membership in professional societies / unions, cost of attending an annual meeting of a professional society, cost of uniform if you have to supply one, child care costs, etc???
Old May 26th 2015, 9:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's especially joyful as you rarely get a tax refund in the UK if you are on PAYE and haven't had a break in employment.
That's because they get it right the first time.

Do you not get deductions in the UK for things such as medical expenses over 3% of your net income, donations, membership in professional societies / unions, cost of attending an annual meeting of a professional society, cost of uniform if you have to supply one, child care costs, etc???
Can do.

I don't know how charitable donations work here but in the UK you can pay the after tax rate (if I can call it that) so you're still not overpaying tax that has to be claimed back.

I have two sources of income in the UK and the Tax Office does something with my tax code so that both paying bodies get my tax right when they pay the income.
Old May 26th 2015, 10:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you can file T1213 and reduce your withholding.

And they do pay interest if it's outside normal processing times, I got 1 cent of interest on a $200 refund a few years ago.
Old May 26th 2015, 10:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

It does get faster once you are in the system
I don't think it makes any difference, some years they're super quick, some years they're not, depends on their staffing levels seems to me.

With new filers they have nothing to refer back to, so I would have thought it's pretty quick actually.
Old May 26th 2015, 10:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's because they get it right the first time.
The PAYE RTI system is to me just a system to deceive people because most people don't file a tax return so they are unaware of how much tax they are paying.

They make mistakes also: HMRC tax error could affect up to 15 million | Money | The Guardian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.