Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax Return Question

Tax Return Question

Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future
Default Tax Return Question

We were wondering if someone could confirm for us that we don't have to file a Canadian tax return this year.

We've read the wiki and visted the CRA web site (here specifically: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts...nwcmr-eng.html) and it seems that even though we landed last year we aren't tax resident as we don't have a house, drivers licence, bank account, SIN etc or any other ties in Canada, with the exception of the family friends we have in Canada whose address we used to have our PR cards sent to.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return Question

Originally Posted by GandH
We were wondering if someone could confirm for us that we don't have to file a Canadian tax return this year.

We've read the wiki and visted the CRA web site (here specifically: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts...nwcmr-eng.html) and it seems that even though we landed last year we aren't tax resident as we don't have a house, drivers licence, bank account, SIN etc or any other ties in Canada, with the exception of the family friends we have in Canada whose address we used to have our PR cards sent to.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
I assume you live in the UK? If so, and based only on the information you give above, then you are not required to file a tax return unless you have some Canadian sourced income.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

Yes, we are still, unfortunately, in the UK, hopefully moving soon Thanks for your advice.

Much appreciated.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Tax Return Question

Hi,
We were in exactly this situation (ie technically landed in Jun 2010, but not actually physically moving until May 2012). I rang the Canada Revenue Agency and a very helpful guy told me that we wouldn't be tax resident until we actually moved to Canada and thus wouldn't have to complete a Tax Return until then.
Not looking forward to my first one next Jan, but I guess it's a small price to pay.
Cheers
Kevin
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

I wonder if I could hijack this post a little as it is related. I have been here as a landed resident since May last year. I am for all intents and purposes retired. I don't work, I don't have a SIN, I live off my savings and I still have my house in the UK that I can go back to anytime. I still pay my Council Tax over there, my tv licence and indeed, my tax. Now, I am hoping to keep it like that. It seems such an upheaval to start going through the process of a Canadian Tax return especially since I am going to be returning to the UK on a more permanent basis. Any views from anyone really would be welcome.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
I wonder if I could hijack this post a little as it is related. I have been here as a landed resident since May last year. I am for all intents and purposes retired. I don't work, I don't have a SIN, I live off my savings and I still have my house in the UK that I can go back to anytime. I still pay my Council Tax over there, my tv licence and indeed, my tax. Now, I am hoping to keep it like that. It seems such an upheaval to start going through the process of a Canadian Tax return especially since I am going to be returning to the UK on a more permanent basis. Any views from anyone really would be welcome.
Do you receive a pension of any kind?
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

No, I am just living off savings. I could claim my private pension when I'm 55 but I'm not there yet.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:47 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
So if you became seriously ill today would you fly back to the UK for treatment at own expense, even if it was on a stretcher? Do you drive/travel on Canadian roads and highways? Such things, and many more, are heavily subsidized by Canadian taxpayers.
Do you think that's okay? Well I, for one do not. Be an honest member of society and file your Canadian Income Taxes.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

I don't see that it matters that he/she files a tax return. No income = no tax payable. More likely they will get money from the government
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
So if you became seriously ill today would you fly back to the UK for treatment at own expense, even if it was on a stretcher? Do you drive/travel on Canadian roads and highways? Such things, and many more, are heavily subsidized by Canadian taxpayers.
Do you think that's okay? Well I, for one do not. Be an honest member of society and file your Canadian Income Taxes.
That was my point Auld Yin. If I have no income, what tax do I pay? This is not a matter of evading tax, I simply was seeking some sensible answers. It could well be that it costs more for my tax form to be processed than any tax I have to pay, which is likely to be none. Having said that, it is a good point you raise isn't it. I mean, what if someone was a resident here and lived for say 5 months a year here, did not earn any income and then returned to the UK. Their country for tax would be the UK, yet they are still likely to use Canadian roads.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 2:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justkidding
I don't see that it matters that he/she files a tax return. No income = no tax payable. More likely they will get money from the government
If they have savings, they have income if it is invested. CRA require all world income to be reported as well as any foreign owned property (incl bank accounts) that cost over $100k. Failure to report will incur significant fines. Paying tax in the UK does not satisfy CRA if tax in Canada is owed. Not getting a SIN, does not mean you don't want to play! However not having a SIN can cause no end of complications at some point.

If one is not sure of their status, consult a tax accountant or ask CRA for a determination. If you 'think' you are not tax resident, then it turns out you are, it can be pretty expensive.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

A question to laser558. Are you enrolled in your provincial health care plan?
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aviator
If they have savings, they have income if it is invested. CRA require all world income to be reported as well as any foreign owned property (incl bank accounts) that cost over $100k. Failure to report will incur significant fines. Paying tax in the UK does not satisfy CRA if tax in Canada is owed. Not getting a SIN, does not mean you don't want to play! However not having a SIN can cause no end of complications at some point.

If one is not sure of their status, consult a tax accountant or ask CRA for a determination. If you 'think' you are not tax resident, then it turns out you are, it can be pretty expensive.
Laser558 has said he has no income in the previous post. I'm not saying he shouldn't file a tax return but when he does he will probably qualify for the GST rebate.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justkidding
Laser558 has said he has no income in the previous post. I'm not saying he shouldn't file a tax return but when he does he will probably qualify for the GST rebate.
He also says he is living off savings. Presumably he is shewed enough to have invested savings, which generates income. He has also said he has a house in the UK. If CRA deem him as tax resident, he has to report earnings on those savings/investments and/or CGT if applicable, regardelss if tax has been paid in the UK. As he said he pays tax in the UK, he must have some income, otherwise there would be no tax paid in the UK either.

If his investments and savings total more than $100k and the house is valued at more than $100k and he is deemed tax resident, these have to be reported as foreign assets and failure to do so results in heavy fines if found out.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm not disagreeing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.