Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax Return Question

Tax Return Question

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tax Return Question

Just to maybe close my part of this thread. I actually spoke to an accountant today and when I explained my position even they were confused as to any tax liability. However, she is going to let me know. I am more than happy to complete a tax return here and pay any tax but I suspect that it will probably end up costing me more to sort it out but hey ho. So thank you to everyone who contributed to my little part of this, I do appreciate it very much.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 7:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
Just to maybe close my part of this thread. I actually spoke to an accountant today and when I explained my position even they were confused as to any tax liability. However, she is going to let me know. I am more than happy to complete a tax return here and pay any tax but I suspect that it will probably end up costing me more to sort it out but hey ho. So thank you to everyone who contributed to my little part of this, I do appreciate it very much.
Get the accountant to put their advice in writing, covers your butt if CRA disagree with your accountant, its you who ends up paying the bill and any fines. Don't forget to ask them about foreign asset reporting. If you file, you may end up getting enough back to cover the cost, HST credits etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aviator
Get the accountant to put their advice in writing, covers your butt if CRA disagree with your accountant, its you who ends up paying the bill and any fines. Don't forget to ask them about foreign asset reporting. If you file, you may end up getting enough back to cover the cost, HST credits etc.
Thank you so much for your advice. I hope it will be okay. Bit more awkward than a UK tax return!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A question to laser558. Are you enrolled in your provincial health care plan?
This is an important question and might save you a few dollars in accounting fees.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

This is an important question and might save you a few dollars in accounting fees.
Sorry JonboyE, I missed that, yes I am.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry JonboyE, I missed that, yes I am.
Then you are a tax-resident of Canada. Your world-wide income is taxable in Canada.

You are required to file a tax return if you owe tax for the year, or have made a capital gain.

You are also required to file a T1135 form if your overseas assets had a cost of $100,000 or more (for assets you owned before you became tax-resident in Canada this is the market value on the day you became tax resident). You don't need to file this form for the year you first became tax resident but you must do for every subsequent year. The penalty for failing to file is up to $2,500.00.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Then you are a tax-resident of Canada. Your world-wide income is taxable in Canada.

You are required to file a tax return if you owe tax for the year, or have made a capital gain.

You are also required to file a T1135 form if your overseas assets had a cost of $100,000 or more (for assets you owned before you became tax-resident in Canada this is the market value on the day you became tax resident). You don't need to file this form for the year you first became tax resident but you must do for every subsequent year. The penalty for failing to file is up to $2,500.00.
So as I have only been here since May last year, I don't have to complete T1135 for tax year 2011 I assume? Thank you JonboyE. This is really appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:09 am
Binned by Muderators

So as I have only been here since May last year, I don't have to complete T1135 for tax year 2011 I assume? Thank you JonboyE. This is really appreciated.
Yes, if you have only been in Canada since May 2011 you don't have to file the T1135 for 2011.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, if you have only been in Canada since May 2011 you don't have to file the T1135 for 2011.
Hello to you JonboyE, I have sent you a pm.