Tax Cuts

Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Cuts

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I reckon that you reckon that yer average Canadian earns $40K. Maybe true, but I pity the average Canadian.

The GST cut (or the equivalent revenue) could've been better used in urban infrastructure development, childcare investment, or ... a bunch of other stuff.

You'll have difficulty finding an economist (sorry Howard, an Economist), who thinks this was a good idea.
spot on!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Do you pity dbd33? Not only does he appear to be existing on less than $40K (with his GST rebate) he will also be dancing naked soon...
My T4 income is about $36k I think. I know it's less than the alimony payments.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:42 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the taxes shouldn't actually be cut, but better larger scale government programs should be implemented. Healthcare, aid for the cities, giving the military post-Korean War equipment. There are so many things they could spend the money on that would be beneficial for the average Canadian resident that's it's got to be better than giving back a few dollars.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
I agree the taxes shouldn't actually be cut, but better larger scale government programs should be implemented. Healthcare, aid for the cities, giving the military post-Korean War equipment. There are so many things they could spend the money on that would be beneficial for the average Canadian resident that's it's got to be better than giving back a few dollars.
I don't think the government should spend more on the military. The Canadian military is used in pursuit of US policy objectives and the US should fund it.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My T4 income is about $36k I think. I know it's less than the alimony payments.
Sooo, would it be more prudent for a piece of the surplus to be used to help the prevention of incompatible sexual relationships between people? You'd be laughing all the way to the bank now, naked presumably.

There was a news item a few days ago which told of a huge increase in military arms exports from Canada, so the money doesn't need to go there. And I agree with Novo, even after being here a month I can see the benefits of throwing a good portion of money into public infrastructure, the roads around here are diabolical, not a vote winner though I guess. Another observation, politics here are no different to the political shenanigans in the UK, just less subtle.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by steve666
Sooo, would it be more prudent for a piece of the surplus to be used to help the prevention of incompatible sexual relationships between people? You'd be laughing all the way to the bank now, naked presumably.
Eh? With whom am I not sexually compatible?

Originally Posted by steve666
There was a news item a few days ago which told of a huge increase in military arms exports from Canada, so the money doesn't need to go there. And I agree with Novo, even after being here a month I can see the benefits of throwing a good portion of money into public infrastructure, the roads around here are diabolical, not a vote winner though I guess. Another observation, politics here are no different to the political shenanigans in the UK, just less subtle.
Less subtle and more overtly corrupt. The OH, who had not previously heard of Brian Mulrooney, was shocked by last night's documentary about the cash bribes everyone knows he took. You don't get that casual acceptance of financial sleaze where she comes from.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Do you pity dbd33? Not only does he appear to be existing on less than $40K (with his GST rebate) he will also be dancing naked soon...
No, I don't pity dbd33. His T4 income may be what he claims, but he pays his accountant more than that.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Less subtle and more overtly corrupt. The OH, who had not previously heard of Brian Mulrooney, was shocked by last night's documentary about the cash bribes everyone knows he took. You don't get that casual acceptance of financial sleaze where she comes from.
With you on that... right up until the final sentence.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
With you on that... right up until the final sentence.
'twas a little tongue in cheek. Still, he hasn't had to deal with anything like the Whitewater investigations.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:13 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
I think that all of those expenditures with the exception of the Military are the responsibility of the Provincial Governments (along with Road maintenance) rather than a federal one. The Provincial taxes are not being cut.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:00 am
Born again atheist

'twas a little tongue in cheek. Still, he hasn't had to deal with anything like the Whitewater investigations.
Not to mention Ms. Lewinski's blue frock.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:01 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I think that all of those expenditures with the exception of the Military are the responsibility of the Provincial Governments (along with Road maintenance) rather than a federal one. The Provincial taxes are not being cut.
There are however things called transfer payments.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:26 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
T'aint so on roads at least. There are federal roads and provincial roads. So the Trans Canada Highway will be a Federal responsibility f'rexample. Other, presumably smaller roads are provincial responsibility.

Interesting to hear the Ontarians complain about road quality. I thought that Newfoundland had the worst roads in Canada!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:35 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
T'aint so on roads at least. There are federal roads and provincial roads. So the Trans Canada Highway will be a Federal responsibility f'rexample. Other, presumably smaller roads are provincial responsibility.

Interesting to hear the Ontarians complain about road quality. I thought that Newfoundland had the worst roads in Canada!
I believe the Trans Canada Highway is a shared responsibility between the Federal and Provincial Governments.

As for Newfoundland having the worst highways, I think over the last ten to fifteen years all provinces have been vying for the dubious honour of having the worst roads and highways in the country.

Quebec with its overpass collapse and other highway issues may have won though.