Tax 2012

Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax 2012

Originally Posted by SnoopDop
3 MONTHS ‽‽‽ can anyone else share their experience with 1st time returns processing times ?
Yes, three months is not uncommon for the first return. Once you are in the system you can net-file next year and get your refund in 10-14 days.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Hell, we just used them for out first return. Not really sure what to expect. Nothing very complicated or so we thought. Just hubby and his UK military pension, I'm not working. Quote seemed ok but final cost almost $300 apparently as they split his pension it cost more. Hopefully the refund will be what they have calculated. Will be doing our own next year.
F4
In the search dialog box type 'split pension"
Select T1032
Right click
Select "optimize split pension"
Return.

It is really expensive to do.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

JimandBettina is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I will be moving to Canada in the first few days of Jan 13. When do I have to file my first return - Apr 13 or Apr 14?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:37 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JimandBettina
Hi,

I will be moving to Canada in the first few days of Jan 13. When do I have to file my first return - Apr 13 or Apr 14?
By Apr '14.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:48 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JonboyE
F4
In the search dialog box type 'split pension"
Select T1032
Right click
Select "optimize split pension"
Return.

It is really expensive to do.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

It takes only a few seconds to calculate the amount to split a pension if you have the right software. If that was the excuse for increasing their fee it was most likely a load of old b****cks.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:14 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

It takes only a few seconds to calculate the amount to split a pension if you have the right software. If that was the excuse for increasing their fee it was most likely a load of old b****cks.
I have to say the lady we saw there, who was the senior person in the office did not really give the impression that she knew her stuff. Very difficult to gauge what was a reasonable price when everyone's case is so unique.

She also told us we can receive some amount of child benefit after 12 months on a TWP. We queried this as the website says 18 months but she was adament and said we should get backdated money automatically once taxes filed....I am not so sure.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

H&R Block, enough said
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

I think in the olden days firms would charge extra for each schedule to the tax return. I suppose that made sense as each schedule took extra time to complete. Nowadays the software auto-populates most of the required schedules.

Self-employed income, rental income, medical and other types of receipts add to the time and therefore costs. Something like splitting pension income does not.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

I have to say the lady we saw there, who was the senior person in the office did not really give the impression that she knew her stuff. Very difficult to gauge what was a reasonable price when everyone's case is so unique.

She also told us we can receive some amount of child benefit after 12 months on a TWP. We queried this as the website says 18 months but she was adament and said we should get backdated money automatically once taxes filed....I am not so sure.
Unless the CRA are telling porkies:

Child tax Benefit:

you or your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month.

Universal Child Care benefit:

You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:

Canadian citizen;
"permanent resident" (as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act);
"protected person" (as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act); or
"temporary resident" (as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act) who has lived in Canada throughout the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month (other than one that states "does not confer status"). If this is your situation, you should not apply before the 19th month.

GST Credit: you need to be resident in Canada for tax purposes so this may be what she is thinking about, but this is only for families with low incomes so it is very unlikely you will qualify.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Just my experiences here:

used H & R block for the first time last year for my first Canadian Tax refund. I used Turbo Tax initially to see how I could get but felt more comfortable doing it in person as it was the first return.

They managed to get me significantly more than Turbo Tax and the whole process took about 30 minutes. This was with a '9' Sin number. I had my refund in the form of a cheque 8 days later.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:09 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
Just my experiences here:

used H & R block for the first time last year for my first Canadian Tax refund. I used Turbo Tax initially to see how I could get but felt more comfortable doing it in person as it was the first return.

They managed to get me significantly more than Turbo Tax and the whole process took about 30 minutes. This was with a '9' Sin number. I had my refund in the form of a cheque 8 days later.
This suggests to me that your attempt with TurboTax wasn't done properly or that H&R did something wrong.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
This suggests to me that your attempt with TurboTax wasn't done properly or that H&R did something wrong.
Yeah I'd agree.

I actually took the H&R course. I definitely was not prepared to be a tax preparer unless there was only a few slips and medical receipts. Several of my (in my opinion - less educated) classmates were actually given positions.

I now work for a more professional tax preparer, and was shocked at how under-educated I would have been to prepare tax returns by myself.

A friend (single student, 24) went into a Walmart branch of H&R and they told her not to bother filing because the refund would cost her more than their fee. We did her return last year, and got her $600, plus her other credits she received through the year.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 2:11 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
This was my experience the one and only time I used them. They individual doing my return was the manager and had no idea of accounting terms. Ended up costing me another $1000 in tax, plus interest.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

This might be a silly question but it's my first time fling a tax return so bare with me. I used Turbo Tax to fill out the forms and have claimed for my monthly metropasses do I have to mail the passes in with the return as supporting documents or no? Same with my T4, do I have to mail a copy of that with the forms as well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.