Tax 2012

Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:28 pm
Banned

Albertabrenda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax 2012

We are looking into doing our own tax returns this yr.

There is a few free programs out there or is it better to buy one

Standard family with kid/s, both parents working.
Is there advantages of paying for a package, its not our first return so dont have to mess with all that this yr.

Brenda
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax 2012

I think as long as its got the CRA seal of approval it doesnt really matter. It comes down to how convenient is it to use and how do you get along with the interface. The more expensive name brands tend to have a nice slick look to them.

Ive used tax freeway for a few years now, the main reason I go back now is that if I dont I would have to enter all the details again manually in a new package rather than have it load them up from last time, and that would double the time it takes to do my return once Ive gathered all the paper receipts etc together.

I was impressed with it at first because it found me an extra hundred bucks or so over what Ufile calculated, and the taxman has so far let me keep it
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Ive used tax freeway for a few years now, the main reason I go back now is that if I dont I would have to enter all the details again manually in a new package rather than have it load them up from last time, and that would double the time it takes to do my return once Ive gathered all the paper receipts etc together.
That's exactly why I keep sticking to TurboTax as it's called now, I first used it in I think 2000 and it's the only reason I keep my slightly dysfunctional ancient Dell PC laptop (TT is not sold for OSX).
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:00 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's exactly why I keep sticking to TurboTax as it's called now, I first used it in I think 2000 and it's the only reason I keep my slightly dysfunctional ancient Dell PC laptop (TT is not sold for OSX).
I use the online version on the Mac which is fine. You still end up with a printed pdf etc for records.

By the way if using Turbotax, google TD discount. There is usually a link to give 20% off.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

xero9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I myself had been using TurboTax for years, mainly because they kept automatically billing my credit card and sending it to me. Well this year I've decided to save the $40 and try out StudioTax (which is free). So far the interface doesn't look as polished as TurboTax, but for a simple return it shouldn't be too difficult.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

james_patrick_page is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Albertabrenda
We are looking into doing our own tax returns this yr.

There is a few free programs out there or is it better to buy one

Standard family with kid/s, both parents working.
Is there advantages of paying for a package, its not our first return so dont have to mess with all that this yr.

Brenda
Hi
Does the tax rebate system in Canada work much like that in the U.K? i.e I do my tax return self assessment every April because I am self employed, but the guys
that work directly for a company (P.A.Y.E) tend not to do tax returns?
I will be working directly for a company over there so will I be liable for doing a tax return each year while on a TWP?
Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james_patrick_page
Hi
Does the tax rebate system in Canada work much like that in the U.K? i.e I do my tax return self assessment every April because I am self employed, but the guys
I will be working directly for a company over there so will I be liable for doing a tax return each year while on a TWP?
Thanks
Everyone has to do a return here (with a very few exceptions)

The PAYE system is only as good as the info fed into it at the start of the year, and in my experience if left at the default values it heavily over deducts once you figure out all the deductions you are eligable for, so many employess get a large repayment in the spring.

Of course, there is nothing to stop you filling out the "TD1" forms with larger deductible amounts, but I dont really want to end up owing them a big sum once I do my return either, so its a balancing act to try and set it up to get the smallest rebate you can in order to avoid effectively lending the government a few thousand interest free every year.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

xero9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by james_patrick_page
Hi
Thanks
I'd say about 99% of the people in Canada have to file a return.

Here is a link to Revenue Canada listing situations you'd have to file a return: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

james_patrick_page is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xero9
I'd say about 99% of the people in Canada have to file a return.

Here is a link to Revenue Canada listing situations you'd have to file a return: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html
Great thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

endlessblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Been using Studiotax here. Free and pretty good.

http://www.studiotax.com
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I use the online version on the Mac which is fine. You still end up with a printed pdf etc for records.

By the way if using Turbotax, google TD discount. There is usually a link to give 20% off.
Does it keep basic material year-to-year though?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Does it keep basic material year-to-year though?
The online Ufile did, but I forgot my password to get back into my account, and that is what led me elsewhere....
Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

We move over on March 17th - we don't currently have any employment - will we have to file a return for the year?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by TheKellys5
We move over on March 17th - we don't currently have any employment - will we have to file a return for the year?
You should for 2012 income (in early 2013), because that is what determines what benefits you are eligable for, as well as RRSP headroom and a bunch of other things. And you cant efile until you have sent at least one paper return either.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 10th 2012 at 6:04 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKellys5
not this time around since the tax year is january-december (different to uk system),

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.