Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A taste of the true vancouver

A taste of the true vancouver

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of
Default Re: A taste of the true vancouver

Hee hee, Robski is a female Robski, and at one point used to live in Anerley and work in Croydon and go to Ikea on her lunch break fro meatball and chips as it was withing walking distance !

(Also went to Croydon College for a year at an earlier time)

Spent most of my uni years around there at weekends as had a boyfriend in Wimbledon

Last edited by Robski; Oct 2nd 2007 at 10:25 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

May I wish you all well for your meet up - and add my tenuous link that I used to in Croydon, followed by one in Forntun Eeff, and virtually lived in Purley and South Croydon for five years whilst going out with a certain ex. Good times actually !
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Ok, this is getting silly now. Is Croydon and the surrouning areas empty???

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:31 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

nursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nice

OMG!!!! This is getting reaaally spooky now!!!! Let's try to find out how many vancouverites on the forum are from croydon way!!

So we've got a fornton eeffer, a Sandersteadian (that's the posh one!! btw did you go to riddlesdown school?), a new addington (mr nmyw is now fully recovered from that episode in his life!), shirley (another posh one) - any more?

By the way, the meatballs in IKEA are rather good aren't they?!!

perhaps we should meet in the restaurant there instead - it will feel like a home from purley ikea home!!

Next you'll be telling me there's an Allders in Vancouver!!

Mr NMYW is deeply regretting his involvement in the "Snip" thread by the way!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nursemakeyouwell
OMG!!!!..

Next you'll be telling me there's an Allders in Vancouver!!
There is!!! Well, kind of, was, anyway... vaguely...

Allders also operatead some duty free type shops, and there was one in Whistler for years. Always made me smile when i saw it
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

By the way, the meatballs in IKEA are rather good aren't they?!!

perhaps we should meet in the restaurant there instead - it will feel like a home from purley ikea home!!
Ohh, yes please, then i wouldnt have to come over the bridge, i'm a country girl now
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I very nearly suggested meeting in the canteen at Ikea as we need 2 more lamps now that it is getting dark so early, so long as someone can give us a lift there and back!

So we've got a fornton eeffer, a Sandersteadian (that's the posh one!! btw did you go to riddlesdown school?), a new addington (mr nmyw is now fully recovered from that episode in his life!), shirley (another posh one) - any more?
I'm really posh - I went to Croydon High School, with a few girls from Shirley too! Although I've been disowned now as Mr Live to Ski is a ..... (drum roll) a northerner ..... from near Blackpool (well the posh part, if there is such a place!)

Although my father-in-law and I still have trouble understanding each others accents, he did pay me the greatest compliment after our first meeting...."she's not bad for a southerner"

Hee hee, Robski is a female Robski
Sorry, assummed (wrongly) that it was a male called Rob who likes to ski! But have also just noticed your pink female sign - woops.

There is a residential tower block in the west end which looks very much the BT Tower 50 pence building near East Croydon station (if it is still there).

A Vancouverite friend has a welsh boyfriend who used to work for Mott MacDonald in the Welseley Road.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Confession time - I'm a northerner too. From Durham. I lived in West Norwood for several years and was introduced to Crystal Palace by my wife's friend's husband. We started going to watch them on Saturday afternoon while the girl's were out shopping and I kind of got myself hooked.

However, having been to central Croydon more than a few times I can certainly see the attraction of Vancouver.

<< ducks for cover >>

Incidentally, I thought the preferred spelling these days is Fort Neath.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Fort Neath
Forntun Eeff
I've just sussed what you are on about!

A friend lived in St Reatham
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:31 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I feel I need to do a proper scientific study to discover the true extent of the mass exodus of Old Croydonians to Vancouver/BC.

Hey what if we all get to the White spot and find out that we actually already know each other!! Spooky!!
I worked and lived in Croydon/Bromley for a decade. I was in Joe Forte's in Vancouver a few years ago with some friends and sat down to eat. A few minutes later a strong Saaarf London accent boomed out "bloody hell it is her!". Introductions all round to the couple I used to park next to for years at the top of a building on Dingwall Rd. They had just arrived two days before for a pre-emigration recce.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:45 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Blimey, I leave the computer for a day and come back to find Vancouver awash is a sea of red 'n blue.

I offer a free drink to the first lady to arrive at the restaurant and shout in her most strident voice. "BASIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL', as loudly as possible.
OMG!!! You just have to let us know if anyone does that
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

a strong Saaarf London accent
JonboyE - will you be able to translate for Mr L2S if there are any of these present, and translate the Lancashire slur that somes out of his mouth after a few GIB back to the saaarf Londoners?

I find it gets a bit tedious after a while.

I was on a very scary site visit for New West a few weeks back, and whilst doing very exciting pedestrian origin and destination surveys surrounded by druggies, bumped into a couple from West Drayton, orginally from Bromley. They seemed very surprised that someone from Croydon was working in the GVRD, but certainly not as surprised as me at see tourists (along with Air Canada baggage labels her handbag) site seeing round New West quay!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:44 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

nursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nice

I have just picked myself up from the floor from laughing. sorry to all those fortunate enough not to have been born/lived/brought up in or around the Croydon area, who won't have a clue what we're all on about.

Re being posh - I nearly went to Croydon high too! I ended up at st christophers in beckenham which doesn't exist anymore, and you probably never heard of it anyway as it was a very small school. Hated every minute of it especially the getting the 54 bus outside croydon driving range wearing ponsy straw boater had and even ponsier school uniform everyday!!

My OH went to John Newnam school, which he and his peers affectionately called their time there "serving in 'Nam, as I think it was a bit of a war zone.

Still laughing!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:53 pm
trust me - I'm a nurse

perhaps we should change the name of our table booking from mr and mrs fawlty to the old croydonians reunion club!!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

perhaps we should change the name of our table booking from mr and mrs fawlty to the old croydonians reunion club!!
I'm a bit loathed to change the name as it might confuse people coming and / or make WhiteSpot think I am taking the p1ss.

But just for a laugh, if we were going to, who are some famous Croydonians that we could say the table was for?

I'm trying to think who was in panto at the Fairfield Halls.

I also had my Saturday job and Marks & Sparks in the Whitgirft Centre (the posh-ness is really ouzing through now) and we had loads of semi-celebs coming.

Didn't one of the 2 Ronnies live on the hill between Shirley and Addington?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.