Reload this Page >

Taking Cats to Canada

Taking Cats to Canada

Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:17 am
Just Joined

2Karen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking Cats to Canada

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
Our two cats were twelve when we brought them over last summer. The male one had been virtually an indoor cat for the last three years anyway (we moved house and he got lost a couple of times and after that he would only go out in our back garden if we left the door open for him. He would panic and come running back the minute he saw the door was closed). The female cat used to go out and have a wander round and we were concerned about how she would get on when we got here, if we had to keep her indoors.

Here in Okotoks, cats are allowed to go out and there is no licensing. As it is, neither of them have shown any interest in going out - other than to go out onto the balcony when the sun is shining and sun themselves. I am hoping that will continue to be the case when the boys start leaving doors open in the summer as I don't want the female one becoming lunch for a coyote.
That is exactly the fear I have our kids are 7 and 5, and with the best will in the world, closing doors is not their forte, even in middle of winter !!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:26 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2Karen1
That is exactly the fear I have our kids are 7 and 5, and with the best will in the world, closing doors is not their forte, even in middle of winter !!!
Trust me, when it`s -25 deg C outside, they`ll close doors.
x
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Trust me, when it`s -25 deg C outside, they`ll close doors.
x

Yes I would second that - mine are the typical "born in a barn" types who always believed that doors just automatically shut after them (or rather the door fairy did it!! ) but even they have managed to shut doors through the winter months!! Summer may be different altogether though, as they will be expecting the door fairy to come out of hibernation!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:42 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add: There's a new Bylaw in Calgary that cats have to be licensed too. Came in last year.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:30 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I took my cat over and she is allowed out wearing her harness which is attached to an extending dog lead which we have hooked up to both our front porch and back deck.

We are surrounded by woods and don't want her carried off by a critter
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:45 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
Summer may be different altogether though, as they will be expecting the door fairy to come out of hibernation!!

x
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

2Karen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Solarfish
Coyotes are certainly a problem for outdoor cats http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486685
Thank-you for that reference, certainly enlightening reading ! How very sad to hear that it is a very common problem...........now thinking very hard whether to bring them or not. We also have a collie that would be coming, and I see that dogs seem to fall victim too ! It is strange how the decisions that you think will be easy, turn our to be the most difficult!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

... We also have a collie that would be coming, and I see that dogs seem to fall victim too !
Dogs are more "controllable" than cats though. The first thing we bought when we got here was an extendable leash. There are designated "off-leash areas", but on trails etc it's actually law that the dog is leashed ..... sensible too if it's inclined to go into the woods and come back with a bear or cougar hot on its tail!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:59 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Also have a collie that would be coming, and I see that dogs seem to fall victim too ! It is strange how the decisions that you think will be easy, turn our to be the most difficult!!
We live on acerage surrounded by Crown Land. Coyotes, bears and deer are frequent visitors. We have 2 Border Collies and have had to ensure that they're not lured into the surrounding bush by coyotes, where a large pack is waiting to grab a quick meal.

This means that after dark the dogs are accompanied by one of us if they need to go out to pee - it's the only safe way to stop them wandering off following a scent or acting brave when they hear the coyotes and running after them. During the daytime it's relatively unusual to see coyotes and we really don't have to worry a great deal about what the dogs are up to. They mooch about and do their own thing.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:04 pm
little snowy owl

People underestimate the danger that dogs can be in from deer: even small ones will attack a dog without apparent provocation, especially if they have young to protect, and can do serious damage with their sharp lil hoofs! .

This occurs in the UK too, my dad's lab was chased on several occasions by deer while walking in darkest Sussex!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
What do people do with their cats when they have the inevitable trips back to the UK to see relatives, hols etc? Is it the same as the UK i.e. a cattery?
A lot of people hire pet sitters. I am a pet sitter/dog walker, I started my business here in Edmonton in January and it's doing really well.

As long as you choose your sitter carefully (as you are giving them a key to your home as well as leaving your cats in their care) it's a great option, particularly for cats who tend to prefer their own space, or pets that are stressed by a kennel or cattery environment.

The All Canadian Pet Sitters Network is a good place to find a sitter in your area, they only advertise sitters who have proof of insurance, business registration, references etc. http://www.acpsn.com/
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

We can't make our cats go outside! They loved it in the autumn, when we got here. But now, with the snow, they can't handle it! One of them is from Dundee, too! (no stranger to snow).

They had an encounter with a skunk.... I think that did it.