Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taking Cats to Canada

Taking Cats to Canada

Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

2Karen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking Cats to Canada

Hi guys, have been a viewer of the various threads for ages now. We are hoping to relocate to Canada this year. We went to an emigrate show at the weekend, and still ploughing our way through all the info. In some literature about Alberta we read that cats are not allowed to roam free, and that they have to be housebound.............Is this true? And also if it is, is this also true in Nova Scotia, as this is the other area that we are interested in............be grateful if anyone can help............Thanks muchly
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:15 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Cats to Canada

Not sure if it's true, but there's many Coyotes in Alberta and if you do let them out, they're likely to become a tasty snack for them.... This happened recently to someone on here....
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:17 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Just do a Google search for CAT + BYLAW + CITY + PROVINCE.

In Calgary, cats are not allowed to wander from their owners' property. There is a cat who visits our property from time to time, but he/she doesn't bother us. Technically, however, the cat's owners are in violation of the bylaw.

When I did the above mentioned Google search for Halifax, Nova Scotia, I found that the city's residents were in an uproar over whether cats should be licensed or not.
x
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

2Karen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, that was very quick reply, thank-you.........I will certainly have a look at that search, I must admt we thought it was because of the bears, didnt think of the coyotes.............Our cats are 10years old, and we are just wondering whether it would be fair to bring them if they can't go outside, mind you fairer than being eaten !!!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:15 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2Karen1
wow, that was very quick reply, thank-you.........I will certainly have a look at that search, I must admt we thought it was because of the bears, didnt think of the coyotes.............Our cats are 10years old, and we are just wondering whether it would be fair to bring them if they can't go outside, mind you fairer than being eaten !!!!
I have seen people walking cats on leashes, much as other people do with dogs. I'm guessing that an older cat would not take kindly to that idea, however. I imagine one would need to start when the cat was young.

Another idea is to have a large area in one's back yard (garden) that's enclosed by mesh or chicken wire or something like that.

Still another solution, if you do come to Calgary, is to live in a satellite town, such as Cochrane. That town is popular, even with people who don't have cats. What I'm saying is that there are other valid reasons for living there besides the fact that the town does not have a bylaw against roaming cats.

Here is the website of Cochrane's Town Council. Click on Bylaws. Then click on Animal.
x
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Judy is correct about NS. HRM have approved the bylaw that means we have to licence our cats. I think it begins next month.

Coyotes are the issue near us. Our neighbour lost two of their three cats. They know is was a coyote because it was spotted in their yard.

We have two indoor cats - one came from the UK, on is Canadian. They are bred to be indoor cats so we have no issue keeping them in.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Good point about the coyotes. It had crossed our mind about wild animals, and we had read that raccoons can be vicious, but didn't realise in some places it was against the law to let cats roam free.

We will bring our two cats over with us, they are still quite young, but I know for a fact they will not be happy about this! Still, am sure they will get used to it, if they have to be indoor cats. ( I think the escape committee is holding their first meeting in the tumble dryer as we speak)
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Our two cats were twelve when we brought them over last summer. The male one had been virtually an indoor cat for the last three years anyway (we moved house and he got lost a couple of times and after that he would only go out in our back garden if we left the door open for him. He would panic and come running back the minute he saw the door was closed). The female cat used to go out and have a wander round and we were concerned about how she would get on when we got here, if we had to keep her indoors.

Here in Okotoks, cats are allowed to go out and there is no licensing. As it is, neither of them have shown any interest in going out - other than to go out onto the balcony when the sun is shining and sun themselves. I am hoping that will continue to be the case when the boys start leaving doors open in the summer as I don't want the female one becoming lunch for a coyote.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:24 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

What do people do with their cats when they have the inevitable trips back to the UK to see relatives, hols etc? Is it the same as the UK i.e. a cattery?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:31 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We had a sad little note delivered to our door last night from some neighbours who were looking for their 14 yr old tabby cat (in Calgary). It says she has been missing since 25th Feb, ie two days, and needs a special diet , and had never been outside before.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

We brought our cat over, and used to let her out. She loved it. Unfortunately, she disappeared 3 months after we got here, and I suspect became a meal for a coyote.

I would have kept her in if I had known, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:34 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by G77
What do people do with their cats when they have the inevitable trips back to the UK to see relatives, hols etc? Is it the same as the UK i.e. a cattery?
It depends.

Local residents sometimes have family members nearby, and ask them to help out. Obviously it's less common for expats to have relatives close at hand.

If people go away for a weekend, they sometimes ask their neighbours to give their cat(s) food and water.

There are boarding kennels that can be used for longer absences.
x
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:15 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
It depends.

Local residents sometimes have family members nearby, and ask them to help out. Obviously it's less common for expats to have relatives close at hand.

If people go away for a weekend, they sometimes ask their neighbours to give their cat(s) food and water.

There are boarding kennels that can be used for longer absences.
x
Exactly the same as would be the case in the UK, I suspect.

They probably call them cat hotels here though!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

Coyotes are certainly a problem for outdoor cats http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486685
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:56 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear People with Cats,

It's not just the cougars, eagles, bears, coyotes, racoons, etc... it's also the rednecks and budding serial killers.

Seriously. There are many people in Canada who consider cats vermin and will willifully poison, torture, steer their cars towards and otherwise kill cats simply to enact some deeply engrained knuckle-draggin' instinct.

I have had pet cats in Canada and I kept them inside because of PEOPLE, not wildlife.

Yours...

PS - oh, and diseases... like rabies, cat HIV and flu and something else that I forget.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.