Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

surname not expanded

surname not expanded

Old Apr 29th 2001, 6:08 am
Just Joined

myself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant future

Hello Friends,

I'm applying for Canadian immigration under the independent category. In my birth Certificates , all my educational certificates and my previous offer letters ect , my name is abbreviated . That is , my name is given as Sunil R. But my passport, US work visa etc has my surname expanded as Sunil Ramachandran. Would it cause any problems during the processing of my immigration papers.

All answers highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chou.
Old Apr 30th 2001, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

inders99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You do not have any problem!!

I do not think you will have any problems, I faced the similar problem whin I filled up the forms for Canada immigration,Write your name as it appears on your Indian Passportand your US visa. This problem is with most of Indians, in north india mostly Matric cerificate is with out Surname, it will be like XYZ Singh, I had the same.

You submit your application with your name as it appears on Passport, GET an Affidevt From EXE-Magistrate or Notary froM India that Sunil R and Sunil Ramchandran are the same person. NO need to go to india, Just ask your friend or relative to send you Typed Afffidevt by a Lawyer on 10Rupppes or 20 rupees Stamp Paper, You just put the Signature on it and return it to india and Lawyer will get the Stamp of EXE-Magistrar.
Then ask the lawyer to get you 2-3 copies stamped as Tru copy by notary or exe- magistrate, so that you can always keep the Orignal with you if some one asks give him the copy or show the orignal.
If you want to Fix it permanently then send the copy of this affidevt to your state govt Gaggette Notification, I think it is sent to state govt Publication departmen. In Bombay the state govt charges 100Ropees for publication, and the send 2 copies Free after publication, but if you need more copies you can get each for rupees 2 or 5.
I think any Lawyer only charges 100maximum to get you the affidevit from Ex-Magistrate.
It will be proof with you for future.
But you can submit you application, why to wait for this affidevt.

My 2 friends had the same problem, they got affidevts, but bot got interview at NYC and Visa Officer just checks your passport information, and asks other questions, they know that india has so many languages and names are some time written like that, they can make out what is right or wrong.
Good luck
Old Apr 30th 2001, 5:10 am
Just Joined

myself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant futuremyself_online has a brilliant future
Default Thank you

Thank you very much for this reply Inder.

Regards,
Old Apr 30th 2001, 5:22 pm
David Cohen

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

For the purpose of the application, the spelling of your name that appears on your
passport is most important. As an immigration official may question the authenticity
of the documentation in the absence of a last name, however, objective corroboration
of the documentation may benefit the case.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community