Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which Suburb Toronto???

Which Suburb Toronto???

Old May 13th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Suburb Toronto???

Originally Posted by MrP77
Thanks will check out oakville and prices, what kind of price are we looking at for a 3/4 bed rental??? I have been trying to search real estate sites, but hard when not sure of areas
www.mls.ca will give you an idea of rental prices.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

MrP77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone thanks so much for your replies! The reason we were looking at suburbs, as someone told us it was better for families further out?? But I will check out the areas you guys have mentioned! So thankyou! I really want to narrow down an area so I can look at schools, especially for our 12 year old! I have been told schools are very strict about catchment areas??
Thanks again for taking time to answer!!
Old May 13th 2011, 12:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrP77
Hi everyone thanks so much for your replies! The reason we were looking at suburbs, as someone told us it was better for families further out??
It depends what you consider to be better for families. And what you mean by farther out.

These aren't points specific to Toronto but, more so than in the UK, you get more house and more lawn in the older suburbs at the cost of having to go everywhere by car. For older children I think this makes the suburbs difficult and less pleasant than the city as they need ferrying everywhere. For teenagers it must be mortifying to be ferried on dates, or even to hang out at the mall, because your parents are too poor or too mean spirited to get you your own car. In the city the children can get themselves where they're going from the age of twelve or thirteen. Newer suburbs don't even offer the increased space. Then, of course, if you have any sort of disposition toward considering the view, there's the crushing ugliness of the suburbs to take into account, to live near Square One, for example, would take a particular combination of blindness and crass consumerism.

If you go out beyond the tract housing projects then you have the possibility of keeping horses and growing weed at home. You can also join a fringe religion with an alternative lifestyle. Some families like that but the transport problem becomes even worse.
Old May 13th 2011, 12:45 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It depends what you consider to be better for families. And what you mean by farther out.

These aren't points specific to Toronto but, more so than in the UK, you get more house and more lawn in the older suburbs at the cost of having to go everywhere by car. For older children I think this makes the suburbs difficult and less pleasant than the city as they need ferrying everywhere. For teenagers it must be mortifying to be ferried on dates, or even to hang out at the mall, because your parents are too poor or too mean spirited to get you your own car. In the city the children can get themselves where they're going from the age of twelve or thirteen. Newer suburbs don't even offer the increased space. Then, of course, if you have any sort of disposition toward considering the view, there's the crushing ugliness of the suburbs to take into account, to live near Square One, for example, would take a particular combination of blindness and crass consumerism.

If you go out beyond the tract housing projects then you have the possibility of keeping horses and growing weed at home. You can also join a fringe religion with an alternative lifestyle. Some families like that but the transport problem becomes even worse.
I didn't know St. Jacobs was a hotbed of grow-ops.....
Old May 13th 2011, 1:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I didn't know St. Jacobs was a hotbed of grow-ops.....
I trust you're joking, there's a long history of Mennonite involvement in the marijuana trade in Canada, the US and Mexico. I often wonder if, given that seemingly all Mennonites smoke and they're casual about putting out fags and joints in barns, their curious prohibitions on some things modern extends to fire brigades.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:45 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I trust you're joking, there's a long history of Mennonite involvement in the marijuana trade in Canada, the US and Mexico. I often wonder if, given that seemingly all Mennonites smoke and they're casual about putting out fags and joints in barns, their curious prohibitions on some things modern extends to fire brigades.
I defer to your greater knowledge of Mennonites. I thought their speciality was baking. I'll keep an eye open for Mennonite brownies.