British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Which Suburb Toronto??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/suburb-toronto-716612/)

MrP77 May 11th 2011 1:29 pm

Which Suburb Toronto???

Hi there we are moving to toronto and I am going to be working in the Etobicoke area. We are going to be looking for a rental, can anyone tell me of nice areas not too far from Etobicoke? We have 4 children aged , 12, 5, 5 and nearly 2! I have been re-searching online since my visit last month, but would be great for any info from people with kids already there??
:confused:

JamesM May 11th 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Which Suburb Toronto???

Originally Posted by MrP77 (Post 9357477)
Hi there we are moving to toronto and I am going to be working in the Etobicoke area. We are going to be looking for a rental, can anyone tell me of nice areas not too far from Etobicoke? We have 4 children aged , 12, 5, 5 and nearly 2! I have been re-searching online since my visit last month, but would be great for any info from people with kids already there??

Etobicoke itself may be a good starting point. That way you'll have a nice easy commute while you get used to your new life and learn about the surrounding areas.

It's reasonably priced round there too.

Partially discharged May 11th 2011 2:34 pm

Where in Etobicoke....there are many different options depending on whether you are going to be near the Airport, the 401/400 area, or down near the lake for your place of work.

I don't live in Toronto anymore, so perhaps some GTA BE members can chime in, but if you give an intersection near your place of work that could help.

Auld Yin May 11th 2011 3:29 pm

Go to Google Maps and for search street of your employer's location.
Is it north or south of Bloor Street and east or west of Islington Ave?

MrP77 May 11th 2011 4:08 pm

Hi there it will be south of Bloor St, East of Islington Ave. :)

dbd33 May 11th 2011 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by MrP77 (Post 9357919)
Hi there it will be south of Bloor St, East of Islington Ave. :)

Then you're almost in Toronto, you could live in the west end and commute out, no need to be in suburb at all. I think this summary of areas is pretty accurate:

http://www.boldts.net/Toronto.shtml

MrP77 May 12th 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks for all the info! will check out that link!! :thumbup:

keznjj May 12th 2011 6:19 pm

Try Oakville, about 15 - 20 mins from Etobicoke and approx 30 mins from Toronto, very nice little area.

London Mike May 12th 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by keznjj (Post 9360454)
Try Oakville, about 15 - 20 mins from Etobicoke and approx 30 mins from Toronto, very nice little area.

... but v pricey

MrP77 May 12th 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks will check out oakville and prices, what kind of price are we looking at for a 3/4 bed rental??? I have been trying to search real estate sites, but hard when not sure of areas :confused:

keznjj May 13th 2011 12:31 am

Not too sure how much for rental. Look at viewit.ca or look at Craigslist/kijji. I work with a guy from Oakville I will make enquiries about rentals with him :)

Novocastrian May 13th 2011 12:36 am

Originally Posted by MrP77 (Post 9360755)
Thanks will check out oakville and prices, what kind of price are we looking at for a 3/4 bed rental??? I have been trying to search real estate sites, but hard when not sure of areas :confused:

Look at Swansea Village. You could bike to work from a very nice area which is (or was, it's been a while since I looked) cheaper than Oakville or High Park.

Interested May 13th 2011 1:18 am

I wouldn't suggest living in the 'burbs, where you need a car to get anywhere. If I were you I would live in a nice Toronto neighbourhood like High Park or Bloor West village.

Auld Yin May 13th 2011 1:32 am

How much is your rental budget?

Novocastrian May 13th 2011 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Interested (Post 9361109)
I wouldn't suggest living in the 'burbs, where you need a car to get anywhere. If I were you I would live in a nice Toronto neighbourhood like High Park or Bloor West village.

+1 but Swansea, south of Bloor and extending a bit westward from Bloor West Village, at least used to be considerably cheaper. Rentals in BWV are almost exclusively in (not very) high rises: in Swansea you can rent a house with a garden. Better for kids, I'd think.