Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Struggling to find work in Montreal

Struggling to find work in Montreal

Old Mar 14th 2014, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

AnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to all
Default Struggling to find work in Montreal

Good day everyone; I wanted to write a little about my current situation in Canada, and maybe get some advice.

quick summery:
So I came here in August 2013 on a visitors visa, to be with my girlfriend. Applied for IEC in Dec; got the IEC in Jan, and have now extended my visitors visa until August 2014 while I look for work. My plan is to start my IEC when I have a job lined up; this way I do not waste time on my IEC with no job. I have been looking for a job since Jan, I went to one interview a while back, but the rest of the time I hear nothing. I apply for about 1 - 2 jobs a day; mainly in the admin assistant or web design field, but Its not getting me anywhere. My experiences are in admin assistant, software testing, and I run my own small starting web design business. My French is very basic, and I am learning slowly. I am looking for jobs downtown; as I can get the train easily and metro from there.

I am struggling to find a job that isn't terrible with my limited French; as you can see its not going great. Would anyone have any advice for me on how I can get a job? I understand I need to learn French, but jobs requiring full bilingual, and that isn't going to happen any time soon which is limiting me.

Any advice really appreciated!
Old Mar 14th 2014, 7:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling to find work in Montreal

Originally Posted by AnotherBloke
Good day everyone; I wanted to write a little about my current situation in Canada, and maybe get some advice.

quick summery:
So I came here in August 2013 on a visitors visa, to be with my girlfriend. Applied for IEC in Dec; got the IEC in Jan, and have now extended my visitors visa until August 2014 while I look for work. My plan is to start my IEC when I have a job lined up; this way I do not waste time on my IEC with no job. I have been looking for a job since Jan, I went to one interview a while back, but the rest of the time I hear nothing. I apply for about 1 - 2 jobs a day; mainly in the admin assistant or web design field, but Its not getting me anywhere. My experiences are in admin assistant, software testing, and I run my own small starting web design business. My French is very basic, and I am learning slowly. I am looking for jobs downtown; as I can get the train easily and metro from there.

I am struggling to find a job that isn't terrible with my limited French; as you can see its not going great. Would anyone have any advice for me on how I can get a job? I understand I need to learn French, but jobs requiring full bilingual, and that isn't going to happen any time soon which is limiting me.

Any advice really appreciated!
It won't be easy to get a job as an admin assistant particularly as you don't speak French, have you looked on indeed for other English speaking jobs? Have you 'Canadianised' your resume?

http://ca.indeed.com/English-Speakin...tr%C3%A9al,-QC

Will you be applying for PR once you reach 12 months of consecutive living together (common-law spousal sponsorship)? I only ask as if you don't need to get a job that would qualify you for PR as a skilled worker, you could pretty much take anything.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 14th 2014 at 7:06 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

AnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Siouxie
English speaking jobs? Have you 'Canadianised' your resume?

Will you be applying for PR once you reach 12 months of consecutive living together (common-law spousal sponsorship)? I only ask as if you don't need to get a job that would qualify you for PR as a skilled worker, you could pretty much take anything.

Yes, and Yes. Plan is to apply for Common law in August; I'm just desperate for some income really.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherBloke
Yes, and Yes. Plan is to apply for Common law in August; I'm just desperate for some income really.
I can totally understand that.

In that case, have you tried going to one of the employment services or immigration services - you can explain to them you have an open work permit and will be applying for PR this year.

http://www.ometz.ca/employment/

This company seem to like english speakers and have vacancies:

http://www.sekurecareers.com/about_us.html

If you just want to earn some money, I think you have to be open to applying for anything you can do regardless of whether it is your 'normal' job.

Once you have some experience working in Canada you will find it easier to get another job - it's getting that first one that is hard.

Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice, I am pretty determined to get a job. I really want to work; its hard, but I will keep trying. Its also hard to get clients for my web design company from Canada.

Any more advice would be really appreciated.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:37 pm
Banned

Dulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to beholdDulciusexasperis is a splendid one to behold

I would agree that without being bilingual, finding jobs in your areas of experience will be very difficult. I would also agree that you need to be more open to ANY job if you need to earn some money.

That could be packing shelves in a supermarket or flipping burgers in MickeyD's. Not what you want to be doing but it buys the bacon to start. It doesn't stop you from continuing to send out resumes and knocking on doors asking for an interview or going to employment agencies.