Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Claiming Albertan tax back once back in UK

Claiming Albertan tax back once back in UK

Old Mar 15th 2014, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Des and Chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Claiming Albertan tax back once back in UK

We moved back to UK from Calgary, AB in May 2013.
My T4 has arrived and I think I should be able to claim tax back.
Can anyone advise on which forms I'd need to complete, I did claim tax last year so it's not the first time - I think if it's the first time, it can't be done on line.
Am I entitled? I was paying an incredible amount if tax at the time as I was still relatively new to Canadian employment.We lived in Canada from July 2012 to May 2013 - we still have permanent residency and haven't burnt out bridges yet....we had an amazing time.
Thank you in advance
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming Albertan tax back once back in UK

Originally Posted by Des and Chris
We moved back to UK from Calgary, AB in May 2013.
My T4 has arrived and I think I should be able to claim tax back.
Can anyone advise on which forms I'd need to complete, I did claim tax last year so it's not the first time - I think if it's the first time, it can't be done on line.
Am I entitled? I was paying an incredible amount if tax at the time as I was still relatively new to Canadian employment.We lived in Canada from July 2012 to May 2013 - we still have permanent residency and haven't burnt out bridges yet....we had an amazing time.
Thank you in advance
Why do you think you are entitled to claim back the taxes you paid on earning from Canada? As a tax resident you have to pay tax, if you don't pay tax in Canada it will be taxable in the UK, moving around does not exempt you from tax.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Des and Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
Why do you think you are entitled to claim back the taxes you paid on earning from Canada? As a tax resident you have to pay tax, if you don't pay tax in Canada it will be taxable in the UK, moving around does not exempt you from tax.
Because I paid a high rate of tax (it if known as emergency tax in the UK, but not sure if there is a Canadian equivalent?) despite only small earnings and also because I didn't work in the UK until September.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des and Chris
Because I paid a high rate of tax (it if known as emergency tax in the UK, but not sure if there is a Canadian equivalent?) despite only small earnings and also because I didn't work in the UK until September.
You filed a tax return for 2012?
Did you fill in TD1 and TD1 provincial for your employer?

If have not filed any tax returns, you need to file one for 2012 and one for 2103. Include your T4 for 2012 with the 2012 return and 2013 T4 with your 2013 return. You can claim your personal allowances, prorated in 12ths for each month you were a tax resident of Canada.

If you are due a refund, CRA will let you know in your tax assessment.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t...llyrs-eng.html