Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

stress queen is nearly there....

stress queen is nearly there....

Old Oct 28th 2003, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

donny is an unknown quantity at this point
Question stress queen is nearly there....

Hello everyone... myself and my fiancee are coming to the Big Country for 12months at least - she has a 12 month contract in Toronto's Children's Hospital starting in January. We've got our letters from the Canadian High Commission over here (Britain) telling us that we have been approved for work permits and we've to pick them up at the airport when we land. But my fiancee has heard that we might still get turned down by the immigration official at the airport, and she's stressed. Can anyone tell me how likely this is and what, if any, paperwork we can bring to help reduce the chances of it happening? any help would be greatly appreciated, and may even lead to a decent night's sleep.....
Old Oct 28th 2003, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

gfreeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Off the top of my head, I'm surprised to hear any immigration office (even Canada) say that you can pick up your visa when you land.

I'd do more research if I were you, but then you're not me
Old Oct 28th 2003, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all
Default Re: stress queen is nearly there....

Originally posted by donny
Hello everyone... myself and my fiancee are coming to the Big Country for 12months at least - she has a 12 month contract in Toronto's Children's Hospital starting in January. We've got our letters from the Canadian High Commission over here (Britain) telling us that we have been approved for work permits and we've to pick them up at the airport when we land. But my fiancee has heard that we might still get turned down by the immigration official at the airport, and she's stressed. Can anyone tell me how likely this is and what, if any, paperwork we can bring to help reduce the chances of it happening? any help would be greatly appreciated, and may even lead to a decent night's sleep.....

I think thats something they say as a deterrent. As long as you can prove that you have funds to support yourselves I think you should be okay...
Old Oct 28th 2003, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

donny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: stress queen is nearly there....

Originally posted by daisymoll
I think thats something they say as a deterrent. As long as you can prove that you have funds to support yourselves I think you should be okay...
we're planning on coming home the long way round - via Australia - do you know if they'll need us to show return or onwards tickets at the airport, or can we get in on a one way (to Canada)?
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

we got our work permits at the airport when we arrived (although we were just visiting from the US to make sure we got the visas before moving). they had screwed up my work visa and just gave me a visitor's permit, which took a good few months to organise when we finally did move, but my husband's visa was fine, that was the important one as he had the job.

we had been a little worried too about picking them up at the airport but it was fine, they asked us a few questions like where we were planning to live etc, it really only took 5-10 minutes. we did have return tickets, i can't remember if that was even an issue. sorry!

re picking up visas at airports, when applying for them we applied to the airport immigration as our lawyer said it was quicker.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

The immigration officers have full powers to turn ANYONE away whether it's a temporary visa or a permanent resident. However, the chances are pretty slim as they are actively encouraging emigrants to go over so it's not in their best interest to turn people away for no reason at all. Also, funds aren't necessarily required where there's a job offer as that's more for the PR where no job has been arranged as it can take 6 months to find work. I think it's very unlikely there'll be a problem so don't worry - be happy

Plus if you're worried just make sure you have the letter from the High Commission with you so you've got proof that's what you were told. Usually immigration officers don't look at return tickets so I imagine one way tickets are fine seeing as you have permits agreed.

One thing I forget to mention also is that it'd be a good idea to have a copy of the job offer/contract with you aswell. Make sure the high commission letter and job offer letter is in your hand luggage as immigration clearance is done before you pick up your other baggage!!

Last edited by crazydaisy; Oct 30th 2003 at 3:04 am.