Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stopped At Immigration Yet Aagin!

Stopped At Immigration Yet Aagin!

Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopped At Immigration Yet Aagin!

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I wouldn't know. Whenever I go through LHR the interaction has always taken less then 5s. No inane questions, just hand over passport, get it back and then I'm on my way. Not been able to tell if the IO is grumpy or not.

Actually now I think of it, canadian and US immigration is more onerous than that of china. Pointless questioning must be a north american 'seen to be doing something' thing.
Still havent tried DPR Korea Customs yet then
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I have, it's a breeze except for the fact that they go through your stuff with a fine toothcomb if they don't like your face and will always remove your mobile from you (you get it back when you leave).
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Always with the North Korea jokes. I've no idea what is it with statists and north korea, but the fixation is quite odd in an ironic way.

Next time you mention that somebody should go to NK, do try to remember who it is that is authorized by the government to use violence on people if they don't answer your intrusive questions.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:56 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Always with the North Korea jokes. I've no idea what is it with statists and north korea, but the fixation is quite odd in an ironic way.

Next time you mention that somebody should go to NK, do try to remember who it is that is authorized by the government to use violence on people if they don't answer your intrusive questions.
North Korea is good because it doesn't put a permanent stamp in your passport thus hindering your subsequent access to other nations unlike those other pesky rogue states.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
That is likely because you have never seen it from the other side. The way the UK treats it's own citizens and the way it treats foreign residents can be very different.
Maybe but I've also entered the UK on 4 different passports (UK, Canada, US and Ireland) at various times. I've also travelled there with people of different nationalities and they've been treated OK. I can't say the same for US immigration - they can be real tossers even if you have a US passport.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
North Korea is good because it doesn't put a permanent stamp in your passport thus hindering your subsequent access to other nations unlike those other pesky rogue states.
Wouldn't that only be an issue in the US? I know that US people get into trouble if they go to cuba. I have no idea why a government would want to stop it's citizens from going somewhere but there you go.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I just keep using it the same way you keep referring to CBSA questions as inane
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:18 am

I just keep using it the same way you keep referring to CBSA questions as inane
Even in the US you can refuse to answer if you're a citizen - not here though, you get carted off or beaten up. A bit like you would in NK, in fact why don't you go and live there since you love your job so much?

Last edited by Alan2005; Jan 12th 2012 at 12:20 am.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Even in the US you can refuse to answer if you're a citizen - not here though, you get carted off or beaten up. A bit like you would in NK, in fact why don't you go and live there since you love your job so much?
You can also refuse to answer questions when entering Canada. Sure you may get arrested for hindering or potentially obstruction but carted off and beaten up by CBSA officials highly unlikely although Im sure you have evidence to back up such a statement?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:41 am

Im sure you have evidence to back up such a statement?
Evidence? It's the law isn't it. This is the sequence of events:

1, I refuse to answer inane questions.
2, I get arrested for no reason
3, I refuse to be carted off for no reason.
4, You get your mates along and you use force to cart me off.
5, If I resist being carted off, it's more force, maybe even a tazering.

Are you saying that this isn't what would happen?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Evidence? It's the law isn't it. This is the sequence of events:

1, I refuse to answer inane questions.
2, I get arrested for no reason
3, I refuse to be carted off for no reason.
4, You get your mates along and you use force to cart me off.
5, If I resist being carted off, it's more force, maybe even a tazering.

Are you saying that this isn't what would happen?
2. Look up Obstruction of a Peace Officer Criminal Code or Hindering Customs Act both lawful reasons to arrest.
3. As above but now could add in Resisting Arrest
4. Check Criminal Code for Use of Force by a Peace Officer again lawful action
5. We dont carry Tazers.

As for it happening absolutely but done with full legality.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:55 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Why should that make any difference?
Well, in Edmonton, it makes it much more likely that you will be shot by the police. So,even though no Canadian, is ever, ever racist, and of course that applies double to officials, particularly if they wear a uniform, I'd say a non-white skin might make a difference, yes.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:22 am

2. Look up Obstruction of a Peace Officer Criminal Code or Hindering Customs Act both lawful reasons to arrest.
3. As above but now could add in Resisting Arrest
4. Check Criminal Code for Use of Force by a Peace Officer again lawful action
5. We dont carry Tazers.

As for it happening absolutely but done with full legality.
Of course it's all lawful; that's what makes it so abhorrent. It really is "answer our questions" or meet with entirely legal kidnapping and violence.

Sadly, the same thing probably happens in lots of other tinpot regimes too. At least in the US people are (or were before the patriot act) protected from this kind of government overreach by their constitution.

I'll ask you this question another way. Do you think there should be a right to silence in a civilized country?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course it's all lawful; that's what makes it so abhorrent. It really is "answer our questions" or meet with entirely legal kidnapping and violence.

Sadly, the same thing probably happens in lots of other tinpot regimes too. At least in the US people are (or were before the patriot act) protected from this kind of government overreach by their constitution.

I'll ask you this question another way. Do you think there should be a right to silence in a civilized country?
There already is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._v._Hebert
There again this argues that point
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/272929

The right to silence is normally exercised when a person has been arrested and cautioned for an offence.
I find it somewhat strange that a person would want to invoke a right of silence if not arrested or charged with an offence and are merely being questioned on entering a country. One might argue that asked any question is irrelevant to the individual if they have a right of entry into the country they are seeking to enter but jurisprudence has been passed that you must answer truthfully any questions that an officer asks that are deemed relevant to enable to carry out their duties.
What do you do when you drive back across the border into Canada?
You dont have to fill out a form but you produce your ID. After that the whole interview is verbal so are you saying that you wouldnt answer any questions asked of you.?
I admit several questions could be answered with a nod of the head or production of documents but what happens when you might not have the documents or the answer requires more than a Yes or No?
But weve been through this before and it appears that you never exercise your right to silence and comply with the tinpot regimes officers manning the border.
Like Ive said before exercise this right the next time you enter Canada or the US and I dare say the UK and see what happens.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:08 am

Like Ive said before exercise this right the next time you enter Canada or the US and I dare say the UK and see what happens.
Don't you see what's wrong with this? Why should exercising a right have consequences - it's either a right or it is not.

And, I don't think I've ever said a word to a UK immigration officer beyond 'hello'. All I've ever done is hand over my passport and wait for it to come back. In fact - this is what happens in every country I've visited apart from the US and Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.