Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stocking up for Calgary (April)?

Stocking up for Calgary (April)?

Old Mar 6th 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stocking up for Calgary (April)?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
My advice to someone moving to Calgary who is in their early 20s...dont..move to London instead.
disagree fully!

you can guess what age i am from my username, and i'd totally recommend Calgary, especially if you like a bit of outdoors aswell as the city life!

Basically anything you could ever want to do is within a couple of hours drive

only thing i'd change (right now) is i wish they were better at driving and for 150/1500 trucks to come with a small (2.9-3.5L) Turbo-diesel engine!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
My advice to someone moving to Calgary who is in their early 20s...dont..move to London instead.
Totally agree. Moving to Calgary by choice when you're in your 20s is lame to the extreme.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:37 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point

How why? there serious coin and from what it seems good nightlife to be had in Calgary electricians cant make no where near as much in London
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salmonfella
How why? there serious coin and from what it seems good nightlife to be had in Calgary electricians cant make no where near as much in London
Clearly the electricians I've been in contact with are on another planet.....not only are they booked solid for at least 8 months in advance, but they must earn a bloody good amount judging on their day rate.

Oh, and 'good nightlife' and Canada..........erm..............
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:57 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Clearly the electricians I've been in contact with are on another planet.....not only are they booked solid for at least 8 months in advance, but they must earn a bloody good amount judging on their day rate.

Oh, and 'good nightlife' and Canada..........erm..............

???
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

???
It's not something Canada is known for really is it? Unless you count a couple of drinks in a bar and being in bed by 10pm as 'good nightlife' of course.

Canada has many positives going for it, but I wouldn't have said a raging social scene is one of them. One of the most commonly used words on the forum by those who are leaving Canada are that it is 'boring'. Personally, I think that's great as I am a Mum and my clubbing days are long gone so I like the simple things in life, but it may not suit younger people who are after an exciting life.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not something Canada is known for really is it? Unless you count a couple of drinks in a bar and being in bed by 10pm as 'good nightlife' of course.

Canada has many positives going for it, but I wouldn't have said a raging social scene is one of them. One of the most commonly used words on the forum by those who are leaving Canada are that it is 'boring'. Personally, I think that's great as I am a Mum and my clubbing days are long gone so I like the simple things in life, but it may not suit younger people who are after an exciting life.
This may be true of Canada in general, but OP is coming to Calgary, a big bustling city with a young population. It isn't quiet at 10pm in Kensington or Inglewood, on any night.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by RockiesFellow
This may be true of Canada in general, but OP is coming to Calgary, a big bustling city with a young population.
Big & bustling by Canadian standards maybe, but it's not exactly comparable to London! Even Toronto I found quite sleepy when I was there in my twenties, and that's supposed to be one of the buzziest Canadian cities.

I love Canada for many things, don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't suggest it in my top ten countries to visit for somebody that wants great nightlife.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Dizzy_Lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Totally agree. Moving to Calgary by choice when you're in your 20s is lame to the extreme.
Well I've never been considered cool in England so I might as well continue to be uncool in Canada....! I can't wait to get to Calagary (May 5th!)
To Salmonfella do you ski at all? We went over to Calgary a couple of years ago and you could still go skiing in April- or head out to the Olympic park and join a Bobsled team....!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Big & bustling by Canadian standards maybe, but it's not exactly comparable to London! Even Toronto I found quite sleepy when I was there in my twenties, and that's supposed to be one of the buzziest Canadian cities.

I love Canada for many things, don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't suggest it in my top ten countries to visit for somebody that wants great nightlife.
Well I guess I'm too old to judge, a good night for me starts with a glass of sherry and a game of Scrabble, and ends pretty soon afterwards. But those times that I have been out on the tiles in the YYC downtown core, it seemed kind of buzzy.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

yep you old foggies are just past it!

i've been out several weekends and most bars had 2-3am finishes, i'm crawling in the door at 4am usually

then if i'm bored of drinking at the weekend, an hours drive takes me to Banff and the powdery rockies for a snowboarding sesh!

Calgary isn't a lame city at all...really can't see where you're getting that idea!

plus, when i'm making the best part of double my wages i was back home, and not having to work a shift pattern for it, i find i have more of a social life...

if it comes to it, Scotland will always be there, don't need to stay here forever
Old Mar 8th 2013, 1:51 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RockiesFellow
This may be true of Canada in general, but OP is coming to Calgary, a big bustling city with a young population. It isn't quiet at 10pm in Kensington or Inglewood, on any night.
Inglewood is crap

go to London mate
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

paulman214 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I've been here 5 days, and had 4 invites for job interviews.. Albeit warehousing and labouring, but the wage is still better than I'd be making in Scotland with no qualifications other than 6 years in the army. Got an interview tomorrow 9am actually
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulman214
Yeah, I've been here 5 days, and had 4 invites for job interviews.. Albeit warehousing and labouring, but the wage is still better than I'd be making in Scotland with no qualifications other than 6 years in the army. Got an interview tomorrow 9am actually
where are you in Calgary mate?

we should grab a pint sometime
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by haggis88
disagree fully!

you can guess what age i am from my username, and i'd totally recommend Calgary, especially if you like a bit of outdoors aswell as the city life!

Basically anything you could ever want to do is within a couple of hours drive

only thing i'd change (right now) is i wish they were better at driving and for 150/1500 trucks to come with a small (2.9-3.5L) Turbo-diesel engine!
Originally Posted by Dizzy_Lizzie
Well I've never been considered cool in England so I might as well continue to be uncool in Canada....! I can't wait to get to Calagary (May 5th!)
To Salmonfella do you ski at all? We went over to Calgary a couple of years ago and you could still go skiing in April- or head out to the Olympic park and join a Bobsled team....!
Originally Posted by paulman214

I just read this thread and have to say I take my hat off to you all, so young and brave to make the move by yourselves, that is how I would like my children to be when they get to their twenties, head out and experience it and see where life takes you. Good luck to you all and hopefully you'll find a support network in each other if you ever need it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.