Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stocking up for Calgary (April)?

Stocking up for Calgary (April)?

Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:25 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stocking up for Calgary (April)?

Hi guys hows it going? i just got granted my Irish IEC 2 year visa i leave for Calgary 16th April one way heading solo and dont no a sinner there. gonna be sad to leave Ireland behind but hey its for a better life i guess. just trying to decide what to bring clothes wise for April/may? or should i just wait and buy over there? is there anything i should bring/stock up on that's hard got in Alberta? cant wait now i am sure some of ye made the big move when you were in your early 20's so any advice at all would be super don't want to make a silly mistake that will end me up back home
Thanks in advance

Beir bua Ross
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stocking up for Calgary (April)?

Originally Posted by salmonfella
Hi guys hows it going? i just got granted my Irish IEC 2 year visa i leave for Calgary 16th April one way heading solo and dont no a sinner there. gonna be sad to leave Ireland behind but hey its for a better life i guess. just trying to decide what to bring clothes wise for April/may? or should i just wait and buy over there? is there anything i should bring/stock up on that's hard got in Alberta? cant wait now i am sure some of ye made the big move when you were in your early 20's so any advice at all would be super don't want to make a silly mistake that will end me up back home
Thanks in advance

Beir bua Ross
What you would be wearing in Ireland in April would likely suffice when you arrive in Calgary in April.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:08 pm

Nice one cheers not soo bad soo
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance

Beir bua Ross
April is a bit of a lottery weather-wise. On any day it could be warm and sunny, even 20C, or it could chuck 20cm of wet snow at you. Bring hat, gloves and sunglasses.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sunglasses

Everything you need (believe it or not) you can get in Calgary!!!!!

The only thing that seems very prevalent here is that there isn't the culture of wearing Gucci / Prada / Boss or whatever sweaters and tshirts / jeans etc.

It seems to me in the younger set (god I sound old) that the 'in' things to wear are the boarding brands - DC, Hurley, Quicksilver, Fox etc.

For decent threads you probably want to shop at a store called Bootlegger (found in nearly every mall in Canada), though this is all supposition as I don't know what you are in to.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point

You sound a bit wet behind the Ears lad
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:51 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

oh give the kid a break, he's young, excited and moving (possibly permanently) to a country he's never visited before. He'll be plonked into the middle of a culture (I use that term loosely) that he has no idea about, with stores he doesn't have a clue about, and a lifestyle that is way different to what I presume he is used to.

All everyone hears about Alberta is that it's effing cold and snowy and theres oil and mountains here.

To get out and experience it is amazing, and to come prepared is sensible.

I think he's bloody brave too!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:00 pm

a bit wet behind the ears as to what to bring/expect i fully amit that.i am a farmer from rural Ireland of about 400 people in my village moving to a city of plus 1 million? would you not feel the same? isnt it better here to ask people who are based in Calgary and can advise me what to expect weather wise etc.. i have everything else sorted in regards accommodation possible jobs, tickets etc. so i just have these final few things to sort out thanks to all for the advice

Last edited by salmonfella; Mar 6th 2013 at 7:03 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

a bit wet behind the ears as to what to bring/expect i fully amit that.i am a farmer from rural Ireland of about 400 people in my village moving to a city of plus 1 million? would you not feel the same? isnt it better here to ask people who are based in Calgary and can advise me what to expect weather wise etc.. i have everything else sorted in regards accommodation possible jobs, tickets etc. so i just have these final few things to sort out thanks to all for the advice
I'm in the same situation as you mate,small town in the country moving to Edmonton.

I'm taking some fleece tops,a heavy parka,boots,trainers,and I'll pack a set of thermals just in case.
Good luck mate!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of advice, young fella... look out for a small room with slidy metal doors, go in and press a number on the wall, and when the doors open again - everything's changed!! Brilliant!!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

is there anything i should bring/stock up on that's hard got in Alberta?
Culture and history
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:22 pm

Cheers jings

thanks scootb mate same too you
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Culture and history
thanks
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Culture and history
History – agreed. Culture? We have some of it in Calgary. There are two dozen theatre companies, roughly the same number as in Dublin, which has roughly the same population.

...and live music? There are loads of venues for all sorts of genres, not just country. Several comedy clubs, plenty of Irish pubs – but I guess that's the same the world over .

Last edited by RockiesFellow; Mar 6th 2013 at 7:42 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:41 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

My advice to someone moving to Calgary who is in their early 20s...dont..move to London instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.