Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

State Arts Funding

State Arts Funding

Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State Arts Funding

Isn't one of the roles of government to force people to do things that are good for them, but that they wouldn't do without coercion?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Isn't one of the roles of government to force people to do things that are good for them, but that they wouldn't do without coercion?
Yes it is. But where do you draw the line? Why isn't the government forcing me to eat lots of fruit and veg a day?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes it is. But where do you draw the line? Why isn't the government forcing me to eat lots of fruit and veg a day?
That will happen once the leaflets don't do the trick.

What about funding for Science Museums, Natural History, Astronomy etc. Should they be funded??

When I was in Copenhagen one time I was asked which beer I wanted to drink, would I support the arts or science? Carlsberg has an excellent art gallery in the city, and Tuborg has a science centre. Apparently.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
That will happen once the leaflets don't do the trick.

What about funding for Science Museums, Natural History, Astronomy etc. Should they be funded??

When I was in Copenhagen one time I was asked which beer I wanted to drink, would I support the arts or science? Carlsberg has an excellent art gallery in the city, and Tuborg has a science centre. Apparently.
I guess it comes down to where the state stops an where individual responsibility starts. The line has to be somewhere, even though we will disagree on where it is.

I quite like the idea of funding via my beer drinking. That idea has merit.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
But you could make a choice of either or neither. Where is your choice of which art to fund inCanada or the UK?

I doubt most of us choose which art the government supports. The people who decide what publicly-funded art will be shown are people who aren't elected by voters but are often Quango patronage appointments of whomever donated sums of money to that political party's treasure chest. At least that's the impression I get.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

lagerhoover will become famous soon enoughlagerhoover will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alan2005
They are - check out your liability on your insurance.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by lagerhoover
They are - check out your liability on your insurance.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't say 'unless you can prove you've eaten an apple, or maybe a carrot, we aren't treating you'
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add to the debate with the attached document - some thought provoking reasons for/against public funding of art.

Abstract: This paper examines rationales that have been put forward by philosophical liberals, economists, and communitarians in support of public funding of the arts. It finds that for each of these rationales the decency-and-respect provision on funding is justifiable. The paper concludes with a speculative discussion of the economics of the “artworld”.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Why fund art?.pdf (65.7 KB, 713 views)
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We also have not discussed the pure economic justification of public funding for the arts.

Artistic endeavor attracts visitors (aka tourists) who spend money and therefore create taxes. I have no idea what the pluses and minuses are, but the government funding is not lost down a black hole.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H
I'll add to the debate with the attached document - some thought provoking reasons for/against public funding of art.

Abstract: This paper examines rationales that have been put forward by philosophical liberals, economists, and communitarians in support of public funding of the arts. It finds that for each of these rationales the decency-and-respect provision on funding is justifiable. The paper concludes with a speculative discussion of the economics of the “artworld”.
I actually read that - interesting in that all the points it covers are pretty much covered in this thread as well. Maybe we aren't as stupid as we look.... then again.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We also have not discussed the pure economic justification of public funding for the arts.

Artistic endeavor attracts visitors (aka tourists) who spend money and therefore create taxes. I have no idea what the pluses and minuses are, but the government funding is not lost down a black hole.
Yes - that's true. Though that should be measured and published.