Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Starting Again

Starting Again

Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Starting Again

:scared: My husband will meet people in his new work place, my kids will get new friends fom school, I will be at home making the house pretty!!!
Will I ever make the kind of friends I left behind in Essex?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:35 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Starting Again

Originally Posted by sam/stu
:scared: My husband will meet people in his new work place, my kids will get new friends fom school, I will be at home making the house pretty!!!

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

If you believe you will, you will.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

Smile Re: Starting Again

Thanks for your enthusiastic reply!!! Can I take it that you think that I MIGHT make some friends???!!! Tell me though, are they the sort that will go clubbing to TOTS Southend on a Friday night? - no, well thats a start!! - I always hated TOTS!!!

Samxxxxxxxx
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Another thought Liftman, why did you leave Devon? The place is glorious compared to London/Essex. We always took our holidays there.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Why are you staying at home? Do you have very young children? If you want to meet new people you have to do things with people so you need to decide what kind of lifestyle you want to lead. Do you want to work and meet people there? Do you have some interests that can involve a club or group or society where you will meet people? If you have kids that require you staying at home will there be groups or clubs to go with them? Will there be days in a week when your husband will stay home with the kids after work and you can go out on your own to pursue your own interests and therefore make your own friends?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

I have a 4 year old son and a 5 year old daughter as well as a hormonal 12 year old son (remember Kevin & Perry!!). I do actually have my own business at the moment (market trader), and have had for the past 10 years. I have a craft business dealing mainly in hand-made nursery products as well as bridal flowers, fancy goods for your home etc etc. I do not think that this business is transferable to Canada due to the fact that 1) no-one is stupid enough to stand out on a market stall trying to sell their goods in subzero temperatures 2) Canada doesn't have street markets any way 3) it took me a long time to find suitable wholesalers, from what I can gather, there are no wholesalers on the web that could supply me with the raw materials I need anyway.
Finally, I have just found out that my youngest son will only go to school for 1/2 day until he is 6 even though he is in full time education at present. Not looking good so far. I am not trying to be a defeatist but at the moment I can see myself sitting at home feeling sorry for myself. I 've never been one for coffee mornings or idle chit-chat. I am used to the banter that a street market generates. I think I am going to have to totally change my life-style (and the way I talk!!!). Bring out the chintz and cucumber sandwiches!!
Sam xx
Old Aug 11th 2004, 1:55 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam/stu
You know, Canadians are not so very different from Brits, maybe a bit more outgoing and less class consious, so ask yourself how would you go about making freinds if you moved from one end of the UK to the other and were a stay at home mum / housewife. The same things will work in Canada.

If anything it will be easier to break the ice here because your accent will do it for you to some extent.

Good Luck

Iain