Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Splitting time between UK and Canada-realistic?

Splitting time between UK and Canada-realistic?

Old Nov 19th 2018, 11:47 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Splitting time between UK and Canada-realistic?

Originally Posted by Marla13
Thanks for the encouragement Novocastrian; do you split your time between France and the UK?
B/w,
Marla
Yes, we do. Like you we have a flat in the UK as well as a fairly large house in France. Roughly 50/50 living in each.

WRT driving license issues, https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-ontario-visitors indicates that you can use your UK license in Ontario, together with an UK issued IDP for periods "longer than 3 months" as a visitor, which despite you being Canadian I think you would be if your principal residence remains in the UK.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Marla13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks dbd for the heads up re-the internet. I was actually thinking about the Laurentians in Quebec, where my parents had their house. Costs of properties there (depending on the area) are probably more reasonable than in Ontario and I know that the internet connections are also satisfactory-we trialled it before selling the house. I think Ontario on the whole is more pricey than Quebec, correct?

Best wishes...
M
Old Nov 19th 2018, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks Novocastrian...I'll have to look into what the Quebec province requires. Having just done a quick Google search-it seems an IDP may be all I need.

Best wishes et bon journee,
Marla
Old Nov 19th 2018, 11:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Novocastrian...I'll have to look into what the Quebec province requires. Having just done a quick Google search-it seems an IDP may be all I need.

Best wishes et bon journee,
Marla
It's even better in Quebec https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/tourists-...ivers-licence/
Old Nov 19th 2018, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dbd for the heads up re-the internet. I was actually thinking about the Laurentians in Quebec, where my parents had their house. Costs of properties there (depending on the area) are probably more reasonable than in Ontario and I know that the internet connections are also satisfactory-we trialled it before selling the house. I think Ontario on the whole is more pricey than Quebec, correct?

Best wishes...
M
Correct. I have to say the idea of the split is very attractive though my two places might be different.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Super-that's great news. Thanks Novocastrian!
Old Nov 27th 2018, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on your financial situation whether you want to own 2 properties (Canada and UK) or own just in Canada and rent in UK. If owning in 2 countries is not an option , I can suggest to check out house sitting. If you are planning to stay in UK during the winter, find someone who is leaving UK during the winter. I bet there are a lot of houses available to be lived in between November and March. I have been browsing the house-sitting web sites and there are a lot of Brits who are leaving during winter... just a thought...
Once you establish a great connection with house owners, they want you back and they spread the word amongst their friends.
I am splitting my time between Canada and Europe (various countries, visiting friends between November and March) and I usually house-sit . But I am doing it the opposite way. I am house-sitting in Canada... I now have more offers to house-sit than i can take.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 5:33 am
Just Joined

chimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am in a similar situation. Canadian/British citizen living in UK for 15 years. Now post divorce, Brexit etc Canada is looking more attractive to return to. Elderly mum in Montreal, and also grew up summers in Laurentians and thinking an affordable place on the lake there would be lovely. I am also living in a rented flat here.
I am torn as I love things about the UK. However, I don’t think I will ever be able to afford a place here, and at 61 years old loath to take on a mortgage, especially given the uncertain future climate. I know I would never be able to afford a place in two places.
Given the options, and while there will be transitional stuff to deal with, I think it is more economical to return. As well as listening to my heart. I’m drip transferring UK to Canadian dollars via TransferWise, jumping when the currency rate goes a little higher. Brexit has already hurt my finances with the view of moving to Canada and quite worried what the future may hold in terms of exchange.
As a self employed writer and an Internet connection I think it’s feasible to live in Canada or anywhere for that matter. I don’t want to say goodbye permanently to life in the UK but keeping a place here seems so out of reach. Coming back for visits and staying with friends or AirBnBs seems more likely.
Good luck and maybe see you on the other side!
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Chimo-so sorry about the delayed reply! I am struck by how similar our circumstances are! I think we should meet! . I’m currently on holiday until 16th but would be good to connect with you at some point if you are interested. Best wishes, Marla

Last edited by Marla13; Dec 3rd 2018 at 1:16 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Woodworm-so sorry about the delayed reply! I read your message when it came in and completely forget to reply! I’m away till 16th and can’t cross reference on my phone. I’ll be in touch when I get back home and am in front of my computer. Best wishes, Marla

Last edited by Marla13; Dec 3rd 2018 at 1:18 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

As a Canadian living in the UK for 15 years now in the North I see the advantages of the UK and Europe. The cost of living here is very low and clients are not hard to come by here so income is fairly steady. My son's clubs are cheap and very good and really will be hard to find similar in Canada.
The only reason I am considering a move to Canada is to be with my ageing parents - it would be a massive sacrifice. And have already decided that once my Dad has passed away , we'd move back to Europe.
Not sure how Brexit will impact our options there, but we'll see what and where the UK is when the time comes.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi Woodworm,

Apologies for the delayed response. Having re-read your posting, I agree that house-sitting is potentially a great solution. Splitting time between Canada and the UK is something I continue to think about and I am just waiting for that lightbulb moment...for the minute, I'm staying put until I feel more certain about what I want to do.

I hope you have a good Christmas.

Best wishes,
Marla
Old Dec 21st 2018, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rawsalad,

I relate very much to your reason for moving back to Canada if you did-for your parents. Same for me. But also because I want a bigger home, with more space/land, privacy and unless I move out of London I won't find that here. I haven't had peace and quiet in quite some time...years....London life is so stressful, and we live on top of one another....I can't afford a detached home here so I'm looking to move away.

You sound happy and settled in the North. That's great. I hope that one day, I too, will feel a little more settled (and more so "happy") when I eventually move out of London.

Best wishes,
Marla

Originally Posted by rawsalad
As a Canadian living in the UK for 15 years now in the North I see the advantages of the UK and Europe. The cost of living here is very low and clients are not hard to come by here so income is fairly steady. My son's clubs are cheap and very good and really will be hard to find similar in Canada.
The only reason I am considering a move to Canada is to be with my ageing parents - it would be a massive sacrifice. And have already decided that once my Dad has passed away , we'd move back to Europe.
Not sure how Brexit will impact our options there, but we'll see what and where the UK is when the time comes.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough

Hi Marla

A year later, are you any further forward in your thoughts on this? I’m interested to hear if you’ve made it work or decided against it for some reason?

( hope resurrecting an old thread doesn’t get me into trouble)
Old Dec 27th 2019, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi Seascape,

Thanks for checking in! I’ve had to put any thoughts and plans on hold for personal reasons and probably won’t be considering a move until 2021 if at all.

Best wishes,
Marla

Originally Posted by seascape
Hi Marla

A year later, are you any further forward in your thoughts on this? I’m interested to hear if you’ve made it work or decided against it for some reason?

( hope resurrecting an old thread doesn’t get me into trouble)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.