Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Speeding Ticket in the UK

Speeding Ticket in the UK

Old May 29th 2010, 10:42 am
Just Joined

distantfuture is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speeding Ticket in the UK

I live in Vancouver, and have both a UK & BC drivers license. I got caught on camera speeding recently driving my friends car when I was home for as visit.

I just got a letter saying that its a 60 quid fine & 3 points and I have to send my license to them. That would be the case if i send them my UK license, but does anyone know what would happen if i decided to say I only have a BC license? Could I pay the fine and not get points?

Thanks for any input.
Old May 29th 2010, 10:57 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding Ticket in the UK

Yes, you would be a liar!

Surely you do not think that the British system is so inept as to have missed this type of ocurrence!
Old May 29th 2010, 11:19 am
Just Joined

distantfuture is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response but I was hoping for more of a factual comment on the UK points system rather than a moral judgment.

I am legally entitled to drive in the UK with either license. Both are fully valid and had I been stopped by a police officer I could have produced either one. My question is will I get points on my Canadian (BC) drivers license if I choose to submit that one as my ID for the speeding offense.

Regarding the ineptitude of the British system, I'm not sure what you mean? If you are implying that they would be aware that I have passed my test in Canada and have a record of that tied to my uk license I think you are seriously over estimating their authority, budget & capability.
Old May 29th 2010, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by distantfuture
Thanks for the response but I was hoping for more of a factual comment on the UK points system rather than a moral judgment.

I am legally entitled to drive in the UK with either license. Both are fully valid and had I been stopped by a police officer I could have produced either one. My question is will I get points on my Canadian (BC) drivers license if I choose to submit that one as my ID for the speeding offense.

Regarding the ineptitude of the British system, I'm not sure what you mean? If you are implying that they would be aware that I have passed my test in Canada and have a record of that tied to my uk license I think you are seriously over estimating their authority, budget & capability.
Points from traffic offences in the UK can only be added to a UK driving license and would not be applied to a BC one.

Tim
Old May 29th 2010, 11:42 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Vancouver, and have both a UK & BC drivers license. I got caught on camera speeding recently driving my friends car when I was home for as visit.

I just got a letter saying that its a 60 quid fine & 3 points and I have to send my license to them. That would be the case if i send them my UK license, but does anyone know what would happen if i decided to say I only have a BC license? Could I pay the fine and not get points?

Thanks for any input.
They cannot put points on your Canadian license so if you send this with a covering letter explaining your situation you should be fine.

Still, since you're not living in the UK and 3 points don't impact hiring cars etc, does it matter if they put them on your UK license?

Old May 29th 2010, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice

Thanks for any input.
Do not take this as legal advise, but...........my husband (an inveterate speeder) was caught last year speeding in the UK with the hire car. He had to pay 25 pounds to the hire company, but was not required to submit his licence nor have points added to anything. The hire company said that most overseas drivers just ignore these letters and the UK authorities don't bother following it up as it is too much work and expense.

I am not saying you would get away with it, but perhaps if you are a little trady in replying it would be interesting to see what happend next?
Old May 29th 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Yes, you would be a liar!

Surely you do not think that the British system is so inept as to have missed this type of ocurrence!
I ask you , was that really needed ? I was watching cops and robbers on TV the other night and tey caught a driver from the US in London and sure enough they could not put the points on his license, the trafic cops on camera also commented that they never expected him to post back the fine either, If I where you I would pay the fine and send the Canadian license, but if they get a sniff of your UK license then they will record the points against it in you abcense
Old May 29th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

You've nothing to worry about regarding points on your BC licence. There's no reciprocal agreement regarding traffic offences between Canadian provinces & The UK.

The UK authorities have difficulty collecting fines from Locals plus European drivers, let alone those with a Canadian licence. If you want to pay the fine, I'd be inclined to just send a photo copy rather than the licence itself. Would you want to chance the paper clip guru's at DVLA sending your licence back to Canada?

One Question: When taking a BC test after moving from the UK, are you not required to submit your UK licence to the BC authorities?
Old May 29th 2010, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice

Originally Posted by castra
You've nothing to worry about regarding points on your BC licence. There's no reciprocal agreement regarding traffic offences between Canadian provinces & The UK.

The UK authorities have difficulty collecting fines from Locals plus European drivers, let alone those with a Canadian licence. If you want to pay the fine, I'd be inclined to just send a photo copy rather than the licence itself. Would you want to chance the paper clip guru's at DVLA sending your licence back to Canada?

One Question: When taking a BC test after moving from the UK, are you not required to submit your UK licence to the BC authorities?
Not when I took my Canadian test, no.
Old May 29th 2010, 4:24 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exilelass
Not when I took my Canadian test, no.
When I took mine I had to surrender my UK licence.
Old May 29th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

in manitoba you are not allowed to hold more than one licence,we had to hand in our uk licences when we changed to a manitoba one,.
also unless you have a valid uk address for your uk licence it is not valid.
Old May 29th 2010, 4:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamesmc
in manitoba you are not allowed to hold more than one licence,
Same applies in Alberta. I would guess it's the same across the country.
Old May 29th 2010, 4:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
When I took mine I had to surrender my UK licence.
You don't any more. They take it and give it you back when you pass the test.

To be honest, in the OP's situation I wouldn't deny having a UK licence. I'd either ignore it or suck up the three points. It's not like having 3 points on your UK licence will have any impact on anything here in Canada and they'll be gone in three years anyway.
Old May 29th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Same applies in Alberta. I would guess it's the same across the country.
It is illegal to be in possession of two licences.

Fine in Alberta is $345
Old May 29th 2010, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jamesmc
in manitoba you are not allowed to hold more than one licence,we had to hand in our uk licences when we changed to a manitoba one,.
also unless you have a valid uk address for your uk licence it is not valid.
We do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.