Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Speeding Ticket in the UK

Speeding Ticket in the UK

Old May 29th 2010, 6:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding Ticket in the UK

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Same applies in Alberta. I would guess it's the same across the country.
It's different in BC, at least now it is.
Old May 29th 2010, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

distantfuture is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll consider my best course of action over the weekend.

Originally Posted by castra
One Question: When taking a BC test after moving from the UK, are you not required to submit your UK licence to the BC authorities?
I did my drivers test a few years ago & they did not ask me to submit my UK one. Also just a few months ago passed my motorcycle test and had a newed license re-issued. They did ask if I had any out of province licenses. They made a record that I have a UK one, but never asked me to provide the ID number. This is only my experience in BC, looks from other comments like Alberta & Ontario have different provincial legislation.
Old May 29th 2010, 7:10 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's different in BC, at least now it is.
So I see from the ICBC website.

It says if you pass you get your UK licence back but it doesn't say what happens if you fail or if you fail and then pass later on.

From the Government of Alberta, Service Alberta website. http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

It is the law in Alberta that a person must surrender any and all foreign driver’s licences when they obtain any class of Alberta operator’s licence. It is illegal in Alberta to hold a foreign driver’s licence and an Alberta driver’s licence at the same time.
Old May 29th 2010, 8:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It says if you pass you get your UK licence back but it doesn't say what happens if you fail or if you fail and then pass later on.
I assume they keep it until you eventually do pass. I was told I had 30 days to pick it up after my test - I don't know what happens if you let that lapse.
Old May 29th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a legal requirement in BC to carry your licence with you whenever you are driving. Sending it off to the UK would NOT be a good idea
Old May 30th 2010, 1:19 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I assume they keep it until you eventually do pass.
This.
Old May 30th 2010, 3:04 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I assume they keep it until you eventually do pass. I was told I had 30 days to pick it up after my test - I don't know what happens if you let that lapse.
They hang on to it til you go get it - . . but not sure for how long . . . .