Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Speaking of Curry: Calgary?

Speaking of Curry: Calgary?

Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice
Default Speaking of Curry: Calgary?

On another thread they were talking about a curry and that got my mouth watering.

So we identified the one place whose curry was pretty good, I forget the name of it. It was in the NE somewhere but the bloody place closed down almost immediately after we found it.

There's a pretty good place on 8th Ave downtown, a wee dingy place downstairs maybe called "A taste of India" if my crap memory serves right.

I've tried a few other places but came up snake eyes with the exception of "The Green Chili" which is hit and miss. It's sometimes good but when it gets busy they let it slip.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Also: Chinese Curries. Seems to be that you can't get a decent Chinese curry in Calgary and I have filed it as "something you can't get here" like decent bacon (unless you're prepared to pay extortionate rates). The Chinese curries here seem to be very watery.

Anybody have any suggestions for decent Chinese curry?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice
Default Re: Speaking of Curry: Calgary?

What 18 views and no suggestions?

Are there really no decent curries in Calgary? Oh the despair.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Calgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really nice

There are a few that we've liked....

Royal India - Sunlife building, has a good buffet selection.
Glory of India - 4th Ave, smaller, but again good menu and buffet
Karma - 130th Ave, smaller buffet, but this one is close to our office so great for Friday lunch

I've heard some very good reviews of Taj Mahal on McLeod....but it looks terrible from the outside (and that has put us off going in!)

HTH
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

In the SW: Green Chili on Bow Trail is my local these days. Surya in the Beltline is also decent as is the Taj in Discovery Ridge (too expensive though). I've gotten a little lazy trying new places recently so not sure about other parts of the city? I still find it hard to get a really hot curry here though even when I ask for it REALLY hot. I need to get out and try some new places!

Oh, and I've found the Taj Mahal on Mcleod pretty bad. Been a few times and it never really got better. Just a different style of food as opposed to any really bad experiences there. I always compare good curry to places in the UK and it's just 'different' here sometimes...if that makes any sense at all. Ha.

Last edited by MrGreen; Jun 28th 2011 at 12:03 am.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, I work in Sunlife Plaza and have walked past Royal India and have always wondered what it is like in there.

Taj Mahal is good and it has a pub above it.

Moti Mahal is also good. 240 Midpark Way. It's just off Macleod in the south.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
What 18 views and no suggestions?

Are there really no decent curries in Calgary? Oh the despair.
I gave up trying to find one even in Vancouver. They range from crap to really crap. I just make my own now although I do buy frozen naan bread to accompany the homemade curry. I'd have thought you'd be out of luck in Calgary. I can't imagine any 'ethnic' food being any good there.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
I gave up trying to find one even in Vancouver. They range from crap to really crap. I just make my own now although I do buy frozen naan bread to accompany the homemade curry. I'd have thought you'd be out of luck in Calgary. I can't imagine any 'ethnic' food being any good there.
Ha. Have you actually been to Calgary?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:11 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
I can't imagine any 'ethnic' food being any good there.
Now why would you say that?

Are you assuming we have no ethnic minorities?

We're not all white rednecks living here, you know.

It just seems like the Brits have taken over the place.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:21 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Now why would you say that?

Are you assuming we have no ethnic minorities?

We're not all white rednecks living here, you know.

It just seems like the Brits have taken over the place.
I don't mean to insult Calgary specifically, but having lived in about seven different locations in NA, outside of the New York tristate area, all 'ethnic' food is crap.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

Try "Mirchi", they're on 2nd Ave and 8th Street, also have a take-out as well. The lunch buffet is typical butter chicken and 1-2 others but their menu selections are very good and actually have a) some flavour and b) are different from each other.

I think they have a website, try google?

I went to one place, husband ordered a dhansak, I ordered a balti, I swear they were almost identical.

Helen

Last edited by HPJOS; Jun 28th 2011 at 3:29 pm. Reason: 2nd Ave & 8th St SW
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I barely even mention this for fear of invasion but Cochrane now has a gorgeous Indian Restaurant -Jaipur - off 3rd Avenue (tel 403-981-9988).

It's tiny - has only about 10 tables and is usually open from 5.30pm to 9.30pm. We have already suggested he considers opening later on Friday and Saturday evenings.

The owner/host has previously owned restaurants around Calgary and also Bristol (UK) - and this is his private effort of winding things down a bit and having a quieter life.

The food is outstanding - and dare I say it, the menu has some proper "English" curries . Great flavours and use of decent spices.
Not cheap.

Book early to get your table amongst all the other Brits that will be dining alongside you. Seriously - integration into your life in Canada, it is not - but when you taste the chicken and proper bahjis, who cares?

Dammit - I have the menu in my handbag and you've made me go all silly now.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:08 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote here for the 'dingy wee one downstairs' on Stephen Ave downtown. Also, for Nawab on 5th Ave & 1st.

For anyone in the near SW, the Taj in Discovery Ridge is a very good takeaway-only.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:15 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I had Indian about 4hrs west of Calgary last week. It tasted more like tomato soup with meat in it that anything else.

The only decent curry i've had over here was cooked by my Indian friend.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
The only decent curry i've had over here was cooked by my Indian friend.
I think this is actually the most sensible solution - make new friends

We went to dinner at some friends a month or two ago (they are originally from Bangladesh) - I think I had just about died and gone to heaven that evening.

It's made me nervous about a return invite. Shepherd's Pie probably won't cut it.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Well thank you very much people, that's plenty of suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.