Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

son has autism & ADHD will we be a burden??

son has autism & ADHD will we be a burden??

Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

delly fidlee has a brilliant futuredelly fidlee has a brilliant futuredelly fidlee has a brilliant futuredelly fidlee has a brilliant futuredelly fidlee has a brilliant futuredelly fidlee has a brilliant futuredelly fidlee has a brilliant future
Default son has autism & ADHD will we be a burden??

hi we have put our applications in last year and are in the waiting game my question is our 8yr old son has just been diagnosed with Autism and ADHD and is on medication has anyone gone through same situation and still been accepted as i dont think we would be a burden on system as we have to pay for all meds anyway
does anyone know or can advise
also is it wen we go for our medicals we mention it to them
adel xXx
Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:14 am
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of
Default Re: son has autism & ADHD will we be a burden??

Hi, if you do an advanced search you will find a number of threads on this topic as over the last couple of years a few of us on here have gone through the same thing. Have a read of those and if you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them. The good news is that they look at each case individually but it will be up to you to show that your son will not cause "excessive demand".
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by delly fidlee
hi we have put our applications in last year and are in the waiting game my question is our 8yr old son has just been diagnosed with Autism and ADHD and is on medication has anyone gone through same situation and still been accepted as i dont think we would be a burden on system as we have to pay for all meds anyway
does anyone know or can advise
also is it wen we go for our medicals we mention it to them
adel xXx
Do you think that your son and yourselves will be able to cope within a new country? Unfamiliar health system, education system and no support from family/friends. Maybe these should be the more immediate questions.

At some point, sooner or later, your son will require additional support. That may be through health care, education, financial etc... so I can only assume that he will be regarded as a potential drain on resources. To what level though, and what level is regarded acceptable by immigration protocol, I don't know.

Even if he is accepted, I would recommend that you compare the level of support that is available where you currently live with where you intend to relocate to. Not just the support available now, but when he is an adult.

For me, the whole diagnosis of Autism has to be overhauled, be more specific. The branding of children and adults with this name doesn't really help anyone whether it be parents, educators, public health systems or even immigration officials. In my own son's class (special unit for Autism) there are kids who range from socially awkward, naive but possess many skills to kids who seem to be totally oblivious to their surroundings and lack the ability of self awareness/preservation. We've personally found that every time he is introduced to any new system or organisation, he requires assessment, because of the lack of universally accepted detail and terminology within his diagnosis.
This leads to situations where hit and miss become possibilities as one person's verdict can be different from another.

What ever you decide, I wish all of you the best.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:11 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delly fidlee
i dont think we would be a burden on system as we have to pay for all meds anyway
I'd check out what those med's really cost !!

You might find that the UK dispensing fee much more affordable if you can't get insurance to cover their costs here
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Mist05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Completely agree with MIkeUK and Tonythetigger. You are probably aware that you are not entitled to OHIP for the first 3 months you arrive (this is in Ontario) not sure about the other provinces, that is even if you are a Canadian. There is a 3 month waiting period so during those 3 months just make sure you have private cover. Most GP's take cash and then you have to get reimbursed by the insurance company. Also in the UK you don't have to pay for meds but in Ontario well Toronto you have to pay the dispensing fee as well you need to have cover for the actual meds. Please look into it, it isn't that straight forward like NHS.