Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Some Good Advice Please

Some Good Advice Please

Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Good Advice Please

Originally Posted by Tangram
A nice post ruined by your reference to "tickey-tackey suburbs"..... one man's meat is another man's poison.
I was a bit perplexed by that, I'm not sure who it was aimed at.

This bit :

" I doubt that the place would offer the same standard of living or lifestlye as we have here."

was what I was trying to get at. If one had the money, one could live in London and go to Gstaad for the weekend, none of us has that sort of money so Canada offers a sensible alternative. The orchestras aren't as accomplished and the ski resorts aren't as flash but they're available to us, the hoi polloi.

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 10th 2006 at 1:03 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tangram
A nice post ruined by your reference to "tickey-tackey suburbs"..... one man's meat is another man's poison.
Thanks.

Look it up, it's a lyric from a song.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:29 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rich_007
They should be advised up front, that it is very different here, almost as if it were a different country thousands of miles away on a different continent.

Last night my boyfriend was talking wistfully about some things that are specific to London and how Vancouver "won't have them, will it?" and I had to say "No, because we're emigrating and it's a different country and that's the point".

One of those things I would have thought wouldn't need saying, but there you go.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Thanks.

Look it up, it's a lyric from a song.
Wherever it came from, your own wit or from a song lyric, it had the appearance that you were trying to score points from someone who didn't live where you had made your choice and thereby denegrating someone else's choice or forced circumstances.

Apologies if this was not your intent.

Paul.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 2:08 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

My Granny had this on a gramophone record .....

Malvina Reynolds

1. Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
Little boxes, little boxes,
Little boxes, all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.

2. And the people in the houses
All go to the university,
And they all get put in boxes,
And there's doctors and there's lawyers
And business executives,

3. And they all play on the golf-course,
And drink their Martini dry,
And they all have pretty children,
And the children go to school.
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university,
And they all get put in boxes
And they all come out the same.

4. And the boys go into business,
And marry, and raise a family,
And they all get put in boxes,
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one

LOL I used to love that song .... nice tune too! ... I'm glad you reminded me of it so I looked up the words!

Incidentally it was sung in 1962 by somebod called Pete Seeger, so it shows times don't really change eh?

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Feb 10th 2006 at 2:55 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

sk1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jossie
Hi everyone

Feel really shallow sending this thread after so many people are on such a downer at the moment after receiving the dreaded letters from London, so sorry!!!. But I need a bit of advice and thought it was quicker asking you all than it would be to research it. I am currently preparing to put the house on the market after completing our medicals and in doing so I have started to de clutter, however I'm not quite sure what I can take with me and what I can't.
Want to take as much as possible as feel this will ease a little of the stress after relocating. I would be very grateful for any advice as my "to do list" will take as long as the whole PR process.

Thankyou jossie
You should probably do the math and work out if it might be better to sell what you have and pocket the proceeds (plus whatever you save on shipping costs) and use the money to buy as you go when you arrive in Canada. When I moved to Canada from the UK in 1989, I shipped a few boxes of books, music albums, photos and other small things of sentimental value that I really wanted to have with me. I sold everything else.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant futureLapsed Canuck has a brilliant future

I have to say that I am Canadian and have the proper amount of 'defensiveness' about the place when others criticize it but we are thinking of taking all of our stuff due to being quite frightened by the decor of the houses and furniture on the house buying sites!! If you like the 80s or chintz, you will be fine... :scared:
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:10 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lapsed Canuck
I have to say that I am Canadian and have the proper amount of 'defensiveness' about the place when others criticize it but we are thinking of taking all of our stuff due to being quite frightened by the decor of the houses and furniture on the house buying sites!! If you like the 80s or chintz, you will be fine... :scared:
It really isn't that bad you know ! We looked at many houses when we got here, and I have been in many of the Mum's houses from school now and hardly any of them look like they are in a time warp. I'm sure if you took a snap shot of peoples internal decor in the UK it wouldn't be that different to here. How many of us went round to great Aunty Edna's and remarked on the hideously patterned carpets and the grey net curtains.
There are lots of stores that sell a wide range of furniture to cater for ALL tastes. We have had bedroom furniture from Leons which is similar to Maple and very lovely. Also glass topped modern dining suite from there and a fab chocolate brown leather sofa.. We have a store in Edm called Finesse, and we got Sofa's from there. They have a real mix of modern and the more traditional.
Just shop around. Its nice to put new stuff in a new house ! We have also looked around many show houses here and the majority are very stylish, so don't be put off by what you see on MLS.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:26 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R2D2
It really isn't that bad you know ! We looked at many houses when we got here, and I have been in many of the Mum's houses from school now and hardly any of them look like they are in a time warp. I'm sure if you took a snap shot of peoples internal decor in the UK it wouldn't be that different to here. How many of us went round to great Aunty Edna's and remarked on the hideously patterned carpets and the grey net curtains.
There are lots of stores that sell a wide range of furniture to cater for ALL tastes. We have had bedroom furniture from Leons which is similar to Maple and very lovely. Also glass topped modern dining suite from there and a fab chocolate brown leather sofa.. We have a store in Edm called Finesse, and we got Sofa's from there. They have a real mix of modern and the more traditional.
Just shop around. Its nice to put new stuff in a new house ! We have also looked around many show houses here and the majority are very stylish, so don't be put off by what you see on MLS.
Be fair, though. You don't have to look round too many furniture stores to get a pretty good feel for what most people are buying. Over-stuffed, gold, ornate, metal and glass are words that spring to mind. None of those are things I like to see in furniture.