Solicitor

Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough
Default Solicitor

Hi guys, hoping someone can help!

We're buying a house over in Canada (closure end of this month!!) but have now been told that we need a lawyer this end to go over the paperwork and then we have 2 afidavits to sign and get "notarized". Has anyone else done this? I've called a couple of solicitors in my area (Bicester, near Oxford) but no one can help! Has anyone got a solicitor close to my area that they used?

Thanks very much
Cynthia
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solicitor

Originally Posted by cynthia2373
Hi guys, hoping someone can help!

We're buying a house over in Canada (closure end of this month!!) but have now been told that we need a lawyer this end to go over the paperwork and then we have 2 afidavits to sign and get "notarized". Has anyone else done this? I've called a couple of solicitors in my area (Bicester, near Oxford) but no one can help! Has anyone got a solicitor close to my area that they used?

Thanks very much
Cynthia
I am an ex-English solicitor currently requalifying over here.

The documents will need to be "authorised" by a notary public in England (solicitors in England and Wales are not automatically notaries as lawyers are over here - there is no real difference just a title).

If you do a search on the site below you should be able to find one in your area

http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/

HTH
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:06 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Your realtor should be able to give you an introduction to a local notary.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Are you certain you need one? I bought a Canadian property whilst in the UK and had my Dad's neighbour (non "respectable" profession, I think he's an author or librarian or something?) do the necessary signing and witnessing, no notary required. This was for an Alberta purchase, there might be a provinical difference of course...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Are you certain you need one? I bought a Canadian property whilst in the UK and had my Dad's neighbour (non "respectable" profession, I think he's an author or librarian or something?) do the necessary signing and witnessing, no notary required. This was for an Alberta purchase, there might be a provinical difference of course...
Or maybe you were particularly brave.

In BC, you need to file a document with the Land Registry to register your title to the property. Of course, any mistakes can be corrected later but this will be time consuming and expensive.

Coming form a different country, and not knowing exactly what is what, I think the few hundred dollars a notary charges is well worth the money.

But that is just me.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Or maybe you were particularly brave.

In BC, you need to file a document with the Land Registry to register your title to the property. Of course, any mistakes can be corrected later but this will be time consuming and expensive.

Coming form a different country, and not knowing exactly what is what, I think the few hundred dollars a notary charges is well worth the money.

But that is just me.
No, no, I had a Canadian lawyer dealing with the paperwork.

I thought the OP just needed to get her signature notarised or an affadavit sworn - and I used my Dad's neighbour for that, he was the nearest (literally!) non-relative at the time.

If she's really looking for a lawyer in the UK to "go over the paperwork this end", will she find one? Does their professional insurance cover advice on foreign purchases?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
No, no, I had a Canadian lawyer dealing with the paperwork.

I thought the OP just needed to get her signature notarised or an affadavit sworn - and I used my Dad's neighbour for that, he was the nearest (literally!) non-relative at the time.

If she's really looking for a lawyer in the UK to "go over the paperwork this end", will she find one? Does their professional insurance cover advice on foreign purchases?
Ah, OK, I understand now. I interpreted "we need a lawyer this end" to mean a lawyer acting for them in Canada, not just one to notarize their signatures.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies, I'll speak to my lawyer in Canada again and see if all I need is go get the papers "witnessed". Wouls definitely be much easier and make more sense!
Thanks again.