Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sold our house yippee!!

Sold our house yippee!!

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sold our house yippee!!

Congratulations mel!! Hope all goes well!! Theres a few of us now that might just get that proper white christmas!! weh hey!!! Fab news !
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 5:26 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mels123
Hubby's job is based in North Vancouver, so we are going to rent a furnished apartment for a month or two until we find somewhere more permanent. House prices to buy are rather expensive though!

We stayed in Calgary for a few days in May and really enjoyed it there. Are you going through the Rockies too? My daughter was really funny when we driving through the mountains, she kept asking when we were going over the mountains, as if we were going to drive over the top of them, snow and all, we had funny images of that lol!! :scared:
You mean you dont go over the top? Guess I'll have to fly then Seriously never been to Calgary :^( yet!!! be their soon tho. Love Van Island, lived their briefly in the seventies and went back in 05. Not seen much of Vancouver apart from Airport. Dont know how long it would take to drive from Calgary to Van Island, would like to do it , but dont think we would have enough time. According to west jet schedules its about half an hours flight, haven't told OH yet what i'm planning
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:51 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I knew September would be a good month for us, we have received an offer on our house which we have now accepted!! We have our work permit approval so can go fairly soon. Vancouver here we come!

I think a few drinks are in order tonight

Mel
Congrats
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Dartmoor_3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I knew September would be a good month for us, we have received an offer on our house which we have now accepted!! We have our work permit approval so can go fairly soon. Vancouver here we come!

I think a few drinks are in order tonight

Mel
Congratulations! How long did your work permit take to come through for the Island? We've just sent in the application....hoping it won't take too long.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dartmoor_3
Congratulations! How long did your work permit take to come through for the Island? We've just sent in the application....hoping it won't take too long.
Hi

We're not going to the island, we're going to the main land. Our work permit approval took 9 weeks to come through. It feels like ages ago now though! We should be leaving in about 4-5 weeks time, can't wait!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Dartmoor_3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We're not going to the island, we're going to the main land. Our work permit approval took 9 weeks to come through. It feels like ages ago now though! We should be leaving in about 4-5 weeks time, can't wait!
Thanks for replying, Best of luck for the future, last one out turn the light off!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi
If you need any info on north van let us know, I will see if we can help, we arrived here in late july.
cheers
jerry
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Mayur Patel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby's job is based in North Vancouver, so we are going to rent a furnished apartment for a month or two until we find somewhere more permanent. House prices to buy are rather expensive though!

We stayed in Calgary for a few days in May and really enjoyed it there. Are you going through the Rockies too? My daughter was really funny when we driving through the mountains, she kept asking when we were going over the mountains, as if we were going to drive over the top of them, snow and all, we had funny images of that lol!! :scared:
Have you found a good reasonably priced furnished appartment in Vancouver?

Please let me know the details, as I too may be heading their as I have a couple of employers who are interested in my skills. I have previously worked for a Canadian company in UK who are also based in N'Vancouver and I have been there once on biz.

N'Vancouver is a very nice area and currently the house prices I have been monitoring are shooting thru the roof, they are infact higher then our UK house prices even when you allow for the currency differences.

When I was their in 2001, new 3/4 bedroom houses in Lyn Valley, Richmond, Burnaby and Surrey were going for around CAD250,000 those same house are now over CAD 500,000.

I would very much prefer Vancouver for its mild but wet climate as opposed to AB and ON, although from what I have read and been informed AB's winters are quite cold but they are dry unlike our UK winters.

Secondly I have a daughter who will be 5 in Jan07 hence it is important that we stay in one place to get her settled at school.

I have a couple of employers in AB and ON also interested but none of them would sponsor me therefore I have had to resort to apply for SW.

MP.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mayur Patel
Have you found a good reasonably priced furnished appartment in Vancouver?

Please let me know the details, as I too may be heading their as I have a couple of employers who are interested in my skills. I have previously worked for a Canadian company in UK who are also based in N'Vancouver and I have been there once on biz.

N'Vancouver is a very nice area and currently the house prices I have been monitoring are shooting thru the roof, they are infact higher then our UK house prices even when you allow for the currency differences.

When I was their in 2001, new 3/4 bedroom houses in Lyn Valley, Richmond, Burnaby and Surrey were going for around CAD250,000 those same house are now over CAD 500,000.

I would very much prefer Vancouver for its mild but wet climate as opposed to AB and ON, although from what I have read and been informed AB's winters are quite cold but they are dry unlike our UK winters.

Secondly I have a daughter who will be 5 in Jan07 hence it is important that we stay in one place to get her settled at school.

I have a couple of employers in AB and ON also interested but none of them would sponsor me therefore I have had to resort to apply for SW.

MP.
Hi We're going to stay at the suitedeals in North Vancouver for a month or two. We can't afford to buy a house in North Van, like you said the prices are just too high! My husband's employer is based in North Vancouver, so we are going to live approximately 45 minutes commute away, probably Squamish or Port Moody/Maple Ridge area. We are going to have a good research when we land to see which area would suit us best.

The link for the suitdeals is:

http://www.suitedeals.com/

This has been recommended, so we're hoping it'll be suitable.

Good luck with your job search Mayur.

Mel
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Rental prices are mixed in N Van, we found a three bed family complex house with communal pool, private parking space, for $1380 a month, nicely located, and allows pets.

Here is a good source we found our rental advertised here and also my present job.

http://www.van.net/rew/vannet.nsf/navcategory!OpenNavigator&Start=1&Count=1000&Expan d=13.32

Cheers
Jerry
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
Rental prices are mixed in N Van, we found a three bed family complex house with communal pool, private parking space, for $1380 a month, nicely located, and allows pets.

Here is a good source we found our rental advertised here and also my present job.

http://www.van.net/rew/vannet.nsf/navcategory!OpenNavigator&Start=1&Count=1000&Expan d=13.32

Cheers
Jerry
Hi Jerry

Thanks for that link it looks like a great website, especially with the rentals. There were also part time jobs that I could apply for when we land.

How long are you going to rent for? How are you finding the area?

Last edited by mels123; Sep 27th 2006 at 6:43 pm. Reason: Spelling error
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Jerry

Thanks for that link it looks like a great website, especially with the rentals. There were also part time jobs that I could apply for when we land.

How long are you going to rent for? How are you finding the area?
Hi
We are planning on renting until about maybe next spring, N Van is great, summer weather has been fantastic.
Cheers
Jerry