Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

So...why is Canada so popular?

So...why is Canada so popular?

Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:08 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So...why is Canada so popular?

Originally Posted by dbd33
....Ontario the average white Canadian is grossly fat and terrified of queers and foreigners, they're even fearful of people from Toronto (who admittedly do tend to be brown and/or queer).
'Merkan incomers, perhaps ?

Rich.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

The space, the scenery (the Rockies are an hour away), people are friendly, the way of life, the fact that we have relatives & friends waiting for us, we have 4 acres of land waiting for us too & it's not here!!!

We know the grass is't always greener.

It's the 80/20 thing - 20% of your new chosen country, you are going to find faults with. Don't dwell on the 20, concentrate on the 80

Last edited by Arris; Nov 17th 2006 at 7:23 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
...seen any chavyness yet?
No, and I've been actively looking. In Tesco's a woman wore hoop earings but her child seemed to be called Bill rather than Dre or Snoop. I needed a fax machine so I went to a big hotel where I expected the staff to be Polish but they were all English. Stuff seems cheap here, not houses but groceries and especially alcohol, I've been reading the Mail (as well as newspapers) but it doesn't seem to be about here.

Originally Posted by iaink
Much truth in that I suspect, also part of the appeal might be the slower pace of life, although how true that is if you end up in a large city I dont know. ALso less violent (gun related) crime than the US. Fewer 'staylans than oz...and closer to the motherland.
I think that's the expectation. Pace of life though is about location, urban vs. rural, not particularly the country in question.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
'Merkan incomers, perhaps ?

Rich.
No one can tell Americans from Canadians. I know because people are surprised to hear that the oh isn't from Ontario. (I'd have guessed the use of y'all would give it away but it doesn't seem to, perhaps because most people in Toronto didn't grow up with English.)
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:14 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused...not difficult to do admitedly, but are you on holiday in the USA or in the UK db??
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Daedra
I'm confused...not difficult to do admitedly, but are you on holiday in the USA or in the UK db??
I'm in England, with an American.

Domesticity calls.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:16 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
I have to confess that when I was in Alberta I felt 'at home' - all the bits I like about the UK without the grot. Mind you, Banff is pretty special. Canmore was nice too, and we didn't see much of Calgary TBH.
I think if you are basing your whole opinion of Alberta on Banff, Canmore and The Rockies, then you may be in for a shock when you clock the rest of it. Those places are unique, and unless you are fortunate enough to live in one of them, you are not gonna get that elsewhere in Alberta.

It is a good province to live in though, and you are right about the space (away from the major towns/cities)
The sun shines a lot, the air is fresh and clean, and if we want that mountain scenery we drive 4 hours and we are in the thick of it.

Don't expect perfection though. Alberta has its issues like anywhere, and living here will highlight that for you.
We are still adapting after 18 months and probably will be for a long time. There are things we love about being here, and things that aren't so great...BUT, on balance we have a better quality of life here. And thats the main thing !
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering the same thing, Daedra!

"We've walked miles today on public rights of way, the only part of North America I know to have anything comparable is California."

I haven't explored California, but here are some links to a few public trails/rights of way in Canada ....

http://www.bctrail.ca/

http://www.tctrail.ca/index.php?section_id=4&lang=en

http://www.planet.eon.net/~dan/kvr.html

http://www.spiritof2010trail.ca/Rail...aspx?id=kettle

Cheers

Oggy
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:24 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
I was wondering the same thing, Daedra!

"We've walked miles today on public rights of way, the only part of North America I know to have anything comparable is California."

I haven't explored California, but here are some links to a few public trails/rights of way in Canada ....

http://www.bctrail.ca/

http://www.tctrail.ca/index.php?section_id=4&lang=en

http://www.planet.eon.net/~dan/kvr.html

http://www.spiritof2010trail.ca/Rail...aspx?id=kettle

Cheers

Oggy
I'm desperatly trying to think of anywhere in the UK that could compare to California!! The best I could think of was Weston Super Mare
Db, I think maybe it's time you moved back there for a few years, then let us know if you still feel the same way. Or better still move out of Toronto and come and live in BC
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot
Because it is so close to the US :scared:
Hey, are you a prostitute?
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Wehey! How did you get up to 185 posts, just the other day I was congratulating you on becoming a senior! *lol*

Sorry.. continue... I'm listening
Printers are always busy...
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:28 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Hey, are you a prostitute?
Damn you're smooth
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
LOL. Well at least that's more realistic than falling in love with the Canadian pavilion at DisneyWorld's EPCOT Center and deciding you want to move to Canada.
They don't have Canada at EPCOT, do they? I was there a few years ago and I don't remember Canada. Mind you, you can visit Canada for real and not remember going
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bleech
Damn you're smooth
I know, bet you you were me...
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve666
I know, bet you you were me...
bet you you were me?? Why would I write that?
I should have been, I bet you wish you were me, which of course you're glad you ain't...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.