Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

SNOW in CALGARY TONIGHT

SNOW in CALGARY TONIGHT

Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: SNOW in CALGARY TONIGHT

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Mawhaha. That reminded me of the great storm of 1987 and Michael Fish saying that there wasn't going to be a hurricane. Famous last words eh

Any other ex-pats who were living in southern UK remember that night? :scared:
Yes I remember it well. Climbing over fallen oak trees walking to work in West London.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:36 am
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, I remember phoning work and saying that I couldn't get in because the trains weren't running properly. It was going really well.......... until the boss remembered that I drove in!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 3:16 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Mawhaha. That reminded me of the great storm of 1987 and Michael Fish saying that there wasn't going to be a hurricane. Famous last words eh

Any other ex-pats who were living in southern UK remember that night? :scared:

Slept through it but I remember the 3 hours bus journey up to work, Daily Express on Fleet St, from Clapham Junction next day!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudd
Yes I remember it well. Climbing over fallen oak trees walking to work in West London.
yes! i climbed over some trees too, in northolt/harrow. Got to the station to hear that there were no trains the ticket office man had seen one go out of london but he had no idea what was happening as he didnt have a phone. Got to work 1pm wishing i had one of those jobs that they include in "if your journey isnt necessary then dont go"
Old Sep 18th 2006, 9:30 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
The only 100% accurate forecast "dark tonight, getting light by morning".

Not even that accurate if you live in northern Canada
Old Sep 18th 2006, 9:34 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich1977
yep i remember it just about as i was only 10 at the time but i was up watching it all out the window with a candle as all the power in the area had gone out then a massive tree that was over 100 years old fell down flattening my dads car totaling it he wasn't impressed he was and there was total carnage in the morning had to chop the tree up to remove the wreck of car how wrong was Mr fish that day bet he never lived that down hehehe
Slept thru it and rode me bike to IBM 2.5 miles away no Damaged and wondered what the fuss was.

Got a call from the landscaper that had been working a week renovating backyard and was finished bar the turfing and rockery building and said he had to work for council and wouldn't be back to finish the job so no charge..

Brilliant.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IceMaiden
Yes, I remember phoning work and saying that I couldn't get in because the trains weren't running properly. It was going really well.......... until the boss remembered that I drove in!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd only been married for a couple of months. We lost our electricity for about 8 hours, so hubby went down the freezer in the middle of the storm and started to eat choclate eclairs . The neighbours living each side of us had their newer garden sheds totally destroyed while our nackered, rickety old one survived! We had a day off work because there were no trains at all and loads of fallen trees so driving wasn't really an option as we worked in the centre of London and were living in Kent.

Edited - to add more info.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:06 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I was living in Brixton at the time. The first I knew about it was when my flatmate's mum phoned the next morning to see if we were OK.

The real impact didn't hit me until some weeks later when I went to Brighton. Withdean Park, where I had spent many happy hours as a kid, had been trashed. Huge trees had been simply torn out of the ground, roots and all (along with several tonnes of soil and chalk). I was quite saddened.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:11 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I was living in Brixton at the time. The first I knew about it was when my flatmate's mum phoned the next morning to see if we were OK.

The real impact didn't hit me until some weeks later when I went to Brighton. Withdean Park, where I had spent many happy hours as a kid, had been trashed. Huge trees had been simply torn out of the ground, roots and all (along with several tonnes of soil and chalk). I was quite saddened.
Brixton, now theres a place few would admit to living in!! I lived there a few years as a child. A real 'sarf lundin' gal me!!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IceMaiden
Brixton, now theres a place few would admit to living in!! I lived there a few years as a child. A real 'sarf lundin' gal me!!
Hey - My Dad was born there, and lived there until he was about four!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:14 am
End of the line

Originally Posted by Calgal
Hey - My Dad was born there, and lived there until he was about four!
I lived there from about 6mths old till about 5yrs old. Wouldn't like to be back there now tho.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future

Hi Folks,

Save some of that snow

We are coming over on hols in two weeks, told my missus it would be blazing sunshine LoL

Really looking forward to the trip as its planned as a fact-finding visit as well as a holiday .

Stay warm over there

Adbru
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adbru
Hi Folks, told my missus it would be blazing sunshine LoL Adbru
Hey - this is Calgary, it might well be!

When we arrived as immigrants in October - it was like summer, people were in shorts, and we only had our winter wear
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future

I live in the Cairngorms so we should be used to snow, although we dont usually get any till Jan

We will try and have a good look round Calgary and area while we are there, although over near Toronto is currently looking like favourite if we move (got family in Mississauga and friends in Peterborough).

Stay warm peeps

Adbru

(p.s. great forum, lots of good info !! )

Originally Posted by Calgal
Hey - this is Calgary, it might well be!

When we arrived as immigrants in October - it was like summer, people were in shorts, and we only had our winter wear