Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Small amount of furniture to BC

Small amount of furniture to BC

Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice
Default Small amount of furniture to BC

Hi All,
Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year!
I wondered if anyone had any experience with shipping just a few bit of furniture to BC?
We have a coffee table, tv stand and side table and bed frame in solid oak and a mattress (think i need to check the limitations on bringing that though!) that we are undecided about taking.
Looking at replacing like for like seems to be quite costly, but the threads i am finding about shipping seem to be for much bigger amounts of furniture.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small amount of furniture to BC

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Hi All,
I wondered if anyone had any experience with shipping just a few bit of furniture to BC?
We have a coffee table, tv stand and side table and bed frame in solid oak and a mattress (think i need to check the limitations on bringing that though!) that we are undecided about taking.
Looking at replacing like for like seems to be quite costly, but the threads i am finding about shipping seem to be for much bigger amounts of furniture.
Thanks
Personally Id look for new/used when I got here for just a few bits. Lots of stuff on Kijiji and always stuff on sale.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Personal imports of mattresses are not controlled.

With that quantity of stuff, I wouldn't bother though.

Volumetrically, furniture is expensive to transport. A standard shipping container is 38 cubic metres and could cost you upto £200/m3 for transport from UK to Canada including loading and unloading. I would assume at least £200/m3 for groupage, because there is more work involved.

If you do a few rough calculations, you will see that furniture is pretty uneconomic to ship on its own.

A 5' mattress for example is 1m3, so that's £200 just to ship a mattress.

If you assume they will wrap each piece of furniture into a cuboid of the dimensions of the item and multiply that by £200/m3, you will be about right.

Sell it on eBay for local collect only and put the money towards stuff over here.

Last edited by withabix; Jan 6th 2014 at 1:42 am.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Dawnz05 is just really niceDawnz05 is just really niceDawnz05 is just really niceDawnz05 is just really niceDawnz05 is just really niceDawnz05 is just really niceDawnz05 is just really niceDawnz05 is just really nice

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Hi All,
Thanks
Had a fantastic first Christmas and New Year in B.C., thanks! We used Anchor removals and were quoted just over £500 for 12 small boxes, mostly personal items but there is a t.v. in there and some medium sized pieces of furniture. They pick it up for you and keep it in storage for upto three months. We found them by comparing quotes online. With the small amount of stuff you want to bring, it may not be worth bringing it though, hope that helps!