Reload this Page >

First step to a temp visa

First step to a temp visa

Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

leewozywarren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First step to a temp visa

Hi all,

I'm new to this and have an initial question.

I am a Brit who is looking to move with my family of 3 (wife and son) to Canada.

Initially, I thought it would be good to test the waters for a few years (2/3) and then apply for residency if we love it.

Is it acceptable to come to Canada on holiday/recce and talk to employers about a job with a view that if one is offered, then applying for a LMO?

Over the past 10 years I have worked in financial services within operations and creative services as a project manager. I am also a qualified psychotherapist/hypnotherapist. I am also a produced movie screenwriter. (so i have a few options of job i can do) My wife is a manager in local authority for adoption and fostering. Our son is at school and is 8. My wife and I are 46 and 45 respectively. We also have distant relatives who live in various parts of Canada.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards

Lee
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First step to a temp visa

Yes its a good idea to come over on a holiday or recce and go and see potential employers .I did it before I moved to Canada but I met a few people who didnt and they went back to UK ,some after a few weeks.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem a good idea but I'm not sure who you would set out to see; you need a firm that will represent that they need you because there's no one with a specific skill that you have currently available in Canada. Which trade would you try to use?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

As pointed out, it is not as simple as getting a job offer and a formality to get a work permit. The employer has to try to hire within Canada first, show HRSDC that they have been unsuccessful finding a suitable candidate and want to hire a foreigner. If they do everything correctly then they apply for the LMO, if granted you apply for a WP at POE.