Just Joined

scottabraham13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Six years and done

Originally Posted by TheBear
Canadians are dull as dishwater.
Have you not been to Newfoundland?
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:47 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I think the problem is more related to what I said earlier. I sort of expected Canadians to be similar to other Anglo Saxons, but they are not at all, much more like the Swiss.

Anyway, could flog this one to death. My last thoughts are that while I confess to generalizing, the fact that many others have found the same, suggests that the generalizations are at least partially applicable. We came with an extremely positive attitude, and have tried really hard up until about a year ago, but have realized that for whatever the reason, we don't belong here.
Canada isn't really an 'Anglo Saxon' country anymore. It's turned away from it's British heritage since WWII - especially in the last 50 years or so.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Canada NEVER was an Anglo-Saxon country ......... only parts of it were!!!

Half the country that was inhabited by the First Nations was explored and developed by French settlers!

........... and really, only BC and Alberta seemed to get the ones sent over by their families to get rid of them! Most of them joined either the Canadian or British forces in WW1, and the practice of getting rid of well-off scoundrels to the "colonies" faded away.

Upper Canada was a part of British Canada established in 1791 by the United Kingdom, in order to govern the central third of the lands in British North America and to accommodate Loyalist refugees of the United States after the American Revolution. Lower Canada ("lower" only because it was the southern portion of Quebec along the St Lawrence) became the French settlement

Confederation brought together Upper Canada and Lower Canada and other provinces.

When you add the emergence of Canadian values and beliefs that started initially after WW1 and became stronger as the years rolled by, to all the emigrants that came here for the last 150 years or more from Europe and Asia .............. the "Anglo-Saxon" attitude was diluted early on ........

........ thank heavens!

It wasn't A-S even when we arrived in 1968, not even in BC
Old Aug 6th 2017, 8:09 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Canada NEVER was an Anglo-Saxon country ......... only parts of it were!!!

Half the country that was inhabited by the First Nations was explored and developed by French settlers!

........... and really, only BC and Alberta seemed to get the ones sent over by their families to get rid of them! Most of them joined either the Canadian or British forces in WW1, and the practice of getting rid of well-off scoundrels to the "colonies" faded away.

Upper Canada was a part of British Canada established in 1791 by the United Kingdom, in order to govern the central third of the lands in British North America and to accommodate Loyalist refugees of the United States after the American Revolution. Lower Canada ("lower" only because it was the southern portion of Quebec along the St Lawrence) became the French settlement

Confederation brought together Upper Canada and Lower Canada and other provinces.

When you add the emergence of Canadian values and beliefs that started initially after WW1 and became stronger as the years rolled by, to all the emigrants that came here for the last 150 years or more from Europe and Asia .............. the "Anglo-Saxon" attitude was diluted early on ........

........ thank heavens!

It wasn't A-S even when we arrived in 1968, not even in BC
Miss... Can I go for a wee?

Are we getting any homework this week?
Old Aug 6th 2017, 9:15 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
In Gibraltar there is only one supermarket: Morrisons.
Originally Posted by Oink
Both places are hardly inspiring.
I visited Gibraltar on business once. I wouldn't pass through again on my own dime.

We moved to Canada 6 years ago. I have a very well paid job, we have a great home, and live in a nice area, but we are done with Canada...or more specifically Canadians. I've met people who moved here 30 years ago, raised a family etc and still struggle socially.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
So you have changed your mind then?
It's the honey moon period innit. I think after 4 years the differences that were intriguing in the beginning start to grate you and the rose tinted glasses wear away.

When I first came to Toronto in 04/05 I met a Croatian girl, whilst house hunting, she had been here a few years and told me Canadians were shallow and skin deep.

I also in a brief conversation at Sears chatted with a checkout girl from Eastern Europe who told me she had been here 10 years and that it was a lonely place.

After 8 years I don't disagree with either statement.

I think Canada is a great place if you are on the run from a dictatorship or don't know any better. But arrive from one of the more advanced industrialised nations, or indeed even a progressive developing nation, you are unlikely to be stimulated mentally by those around you at the office or in the bar. You have to dumb down your humour by 20 to 30 percent to relate to people or consume alcohol in vast quantities.

Drink. Grin. Bare.

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 6th 2017 at 9:30 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I find this fascinating. My own experience is the locals here are friendly at you not towards you. They seem happy to do the mindless chit chat that goes along the lines of How are you? Im good. you? yeah Im good. (Glad we cleared that up ) It can be difficult to get an opinion out of them about anything unless they are Acadian and its the opposite problem!

I have found the famed Maritime friendliness wanting, here in NB especially. They are generally wary of outsiders and a lot of them have little knowledge of the rest of the world much less the inclination to acquire it. I still feel like a complete outsider here after 7 years. I am trying to move to Ontario but the housing market here is like many of the locals - Slow.

I try to be objective about it and of course not all Maritimers are slow dim witted parochial narrow minded knuckle dragging nay saying mooing idiots....However a lot are

I think its a question of do you fit in where you are both with the people and the place.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 11:03 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

You should pop by for a gallon before you head out
Old Aug 6th 2017, 11:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Drink. Grin. Bare.
Drink, Growl, Wind them up.

Oh and catch all their fish. Went over to the Gulf islands yesterday and limited out on salmon and lingcod and then landed the biggest red snapper I've ever caught. Then made it back in plenty of time to watch the fireworks from the boat.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 11:59 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Drink, Growl, Wind them up.

Oh and catch all their fish. Went over to the Gulf islands yesterday and limited out on salmon and lingcod and then landed the biggest red snapper I've ever caught. Then made it back in plenty of time to watch the fireworks from the boat.
Life sounds shit for you in Vancouver
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I find this fascinating. My own experience is the locals here are friendly at you not towards you. They seem happy to do the mindless chit chat that goes along the lines of How are you? Im good. you? yeah Im good. (Glad we cleared that up ) It can be difficult to get an opinion out of them about anything unless they are Acadian and its the opposite problem!

I have found the famed Maritime friendliness wanting, here in NB especially. They are generally wary of outsiders and a lot of them have little knowledge of the rest of the world much less the inclination to acquire it. I still feel like a complete outsider here after 7 years. I am trying to move to Ontario but the housing market here is like many of the locals - Slow.

I try to be objective about it and of course not all Maritimers are slow dim witted parochial narrow minded knuckle dragging nay saying mooing idiots....However a lot are

I think its a question of do you fit in where you are both with the people and the place.
I'm not sure how different it really is here tbh.
Spent three years in NS and so far three years in ON.
I think the main difference is there are a lot more immigrants here. You don't get stared at so much when you speak!
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:28 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201

Totally agree, especially when it comes to knowledge of the outside world, except Florida of course! As for the housing market it's diabolical.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure does...

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:25 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You have to make do. But as was noted above, booze helps. Oh, and decent streams for the cricket.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:31 am
I need a walk

You have to make do. But as was noted above, booze helps. Oh, and decent streams for the cricket.
It must only dull the pain
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:13 am

It must only dull the pain
You're right, it's probably just masking it but what can you do? Maybe I could ask for a prescription for Xanax. I'm actually thinking of getting a small sailboat, something in the range of 30-34 feet. I think sailing might have a meditative effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.