Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Simple TV question

Simple TV question

Old Mar 26th 2016, 3:26 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simple TV question

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My issue with streaming.....

No matter how good your own internet is (and ours is) there may still be site problems.

One streaming source might just have that little ring going round and round and round and round and round and never starts when earlier on there was no problem.

Or it might start but keep stopping when previously the same site wasn't a problem.

If you pause to make a coffee or something and find it's 20 minutes or so before you get back, it might not start going again.

Much depends on the site and some are more reliable than others but even the most reliable may suddenly not play nice. At least with a download, once connected it's just minutes away from having it saved and ready to view.

You get yourself ready, sit down with beverage or whatever and then maybe find yourself faffing around trying to find one that works first time. Or you might even find that while the movie was there earlier, it has since been removed.

Tonight, I can sit down, have my whisky and 7up ready and my dry roasted nuts and I know that I can start up The Night Manager and it's absolutely guaranteed to work instantly.

No bandwidth issues, no threatening emails or letters.
There is that bloke in the suit and shades I've got tied up in the garage though. I'll see what he wants after Easter.
At least give him an Easter egg! Big buffering problems. I not a techie kind of pup but we had that until we switched our speed/bandwidth. Is it the streaming sites that you use? I can see why you are frustrated- soundsweird...any suggestions techie boys?
Old Mar 26th 2016, 12:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Big buffering problems. I not a techie kind of pup but we had that until we switched our speed/bandwidth. Is it the streaming sites that you use?
Vodly, primewire, watchseries are the main ones. They all have countless links for whatever's on there...putlocker, sockshare, movshare, vodlocker, vidzi and all the rest. And several links for each of the links.
I can see why you are frustrated- soundsweird...any suggestions techie boys?
Oh I'm far from frustrated. My download manager (IDM) kicks in even before the stream begins. In some cases download has completed even before a stream has started. But that's the beauty of it, I don't even need to find out.

I start the stream, the IDM begins the download and I close the stream while the download completes with the site not even open anymore and then I'm on to the next movie/episode.

Last week I downloaded all 6 episodes of the latest Shetland series (6 x 1 hour) in one go in less 10 minutes, beginning to end.

They are waiting for me and all I need to do when I'm ready is click on the icon and it plays.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 6:14 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We sound happy around then- not sure why your streaming is so poor- I never get buffering- must be global warming

Well, everyone blames everything on that...
Old Mar 27th 2016, 12:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
...not sure why your streaming is so poor- I never get buffering
Netflix, no problem. BBC/ITV no problem with a VPN. Live football streaming's pretty good too....so I wouldn't say poor. Just site issues maybe. Or server? Who knows.

What I find a puzzle is how I can download something where the streaming hasn't started or buffering is a problem.

I remember watching episodes of Benidorm (great laugh that) by streams and every now and then there'd be an episode that kept stopping. So I'd download it but carry on watching and it would still have buffering issues and then when the download completed a couple of minutes later, I'd switch to the download, find where I was and continue watching without interruption.

Seems weird to me - as a non techie - that the "signal" (see how techie I am? ) is good enough to be recorded but won't stream well.

I mean, imagine you're taping an LP and one of the tracks on it sticks or jumps but your taped version records perfectly.

- must be global warming.Well, everyone blames everything on that...
Sounds as likely as anything else.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
If you have an Android phone/Android Box (like Nexus Player, NVidia Shield, MXIII G etc...) or Apple TV or a Windows based computer, just install Kodi and install the free FilmOn addon. You get most UK channels (BBC, ITV etc.. Food Network)
Been running it for over a year now.
+1
Never had a standard tv package bell telus etc since coming to Canada
early days was netflix but last few years I used XBMC now Kodi
i use KODI + FILMON

Last edited by joinerboy; Mar 27th 2016 at 1:27 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 4:38 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

There is a small code (advancedsettings.xml) you can pop into the settings in Kodi to reduce buffering, increase cache. Also if watching BBC live and you suffer buffer, you'll need to drop the quality down a bit from HD in the settings. Clear your cache out as well by downloading the maintenance app. Purge packets, clear cache and clear thumbnails. The youtube vids are very good. Now its time to head back to the hottub here in Whistler, Happy Easter all!

Post 10. Ive done this and its better.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=1371601

Last edited by Londonuck; Mar 27th 2016 at 4:43 pm.