Simple TV question

Simple TV question

Old Mar 21st 2016, 11:59 am
Just Joined

peteforde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Simple TV question

moving to Vancouver next week.

Who is best Shaw, telus, Rogers

I will want to use some sort of VPN to get uk TV and use my hacked Amazon Fire TV

Ta
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Lorna J is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Simple TV question

We use bell, I hear they are all pretty similar! We use a VPN too, would not be able to survive without it
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

peteforde is an unknown quantity at this point

what vpn setup do you use
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

We use Telus who have been ok so far. Some nice deals at the moment too with free 50" TV if you sign up for 2 years (may be good if you had to buy one over her anyway). They also allow you to swop your TV channel packages online so if there is a program you want to watch for a few months you can drop a different package and pick up the one you want for the time you want.

I would also be very interested to know what VPN services people are using, I cannot abide North American news.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We ditched TV and only stream. Have done for a couple of years now and don't miss it. From consumer reports (CBC Marketplace), Bell had the worst customer service. When we had TV Telus was OK.

Rogers is not available in BC
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Lorna J is an unknown quantity at this point

We use "what uk tv abroad" we don't usually have any problems
Old Mar 21st 2016, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

We are with Shaw, it's ok - all pretty much the same but will very much depend on what is available in your house (not area or city, it seems to work by individual houses!)

We use hidemyass for the vpn. Sometimes have a slight issue with bbc but need to make sure the device has all of the search history and location tracking deactivated and it tends to work (we found the same with a few others too). It's also really useful for logging onto some uk websites (credit reports etc)
Old Mar 21st 2016, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We use Shaw. They provide decent service and have always been fairly proactive in fixing any issues. Even gave us a new a new PVR to replace the old one eveb though it was out of warranty and we owned it.

We thought about moving to Telus but between them being a pain to even sign up with along with them wanting a deposit which means not qualifying for any of the freebies, we chose to stay with Shaw.

I think Bell is only sattelite in BC? Or so they offer cable now?

Rogers isnt out this far west.

We have recently gone to the skinny 25/month cable package and do more netflix but cable is still easiest for new run shows on network TV.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

S_elliott52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't bother with a TV package, they are all very expensive with poor content. I was paying (3yrs ago) $170 per month with Shaw for TV, Internet and home phone. This was with none of the added extras (HBO, movies,sports) I got rid of the home phone and TV after about 3 months.
I bought an aerial to watch local news etc... I use Netflix, shomi and a VPN to watch UK TV. For my VPN I use private internet access, they have an an app for the iPad. It costs around $50 (US) per year. I've never had a problem with it.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If only over the air worked Canada wide. So many areas where its not possible to pick up anything OTA.

My friend on the Island tried. CBC was the only station he could pick up.

Originally Posted by S_elliott52
Don't bother with a TV package, they are all very expensive with poor content. I was paying (3yrs ago) $170 per month with Shaw for TV, Internet and home phone. This was with none of the added extras (HBO, movies,sports) I got rid of the home phone and TV after about 3 months.
I bought an aerial to watch local news etc... I use Netflix, shomi and a VPN to watch UK TV. For my VPN I use private internet access, they have an an app for the iPad. It costs around $50 (US) per year. I've never had a problem with it.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:08 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
We ditched TV and only stream. Have done for a couple of years now and don't miss it. From consumer reports (CBC Marketplace), Bell had the worst customer service. When we had TV Telus was OK.

Rogers is not available in BC
We did likewise- we use Shaw as Telus are way too slow although we are getting a complete upgrade with Telus in the region- we stream everything and it works well- you will always get the Telus/Bell/Shaw haters
depending on peples experience- We just switched because of the speed availability of the internet 20Mbs- Telus- versus 100+ with Shaw. If you are in Vancouver then speed isn't likely to be a problem
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

S_elliott52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If only over the air worked Canada wide. So many areas where its not possible to pick up anything OTA.

I'm in downtown Vancouver and I get about 7 channels, which includes one French speaking channel and one "foreign content" channel. I do get Coronation street and grand designs on one of the channels though!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's not bad. News, current affairs, comedy, bit of drama, light TV viewing. Pretty much what's available on CBS, NBC, ABC, CTV or Global.

It would be my choice of 'one only' from those.

It really does seem the case that the greater the choice, the greater the difficulty in finding something worth watching. I mean, good TV is obviously out there but finding it seems to be more likely with fewer distractions.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

Works for him.

All I really need network wise is ABC/CBS\CW\NBC as everything I watch is on those.

Only CBC show I like is Schitts Creek.

But of course they dont let you just have those 4 or 5 networks.

But its cheaper to get the package then to pay 3 to 5 dollars per channel.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well that's not bad. News, current affairs, comedy, bit of drama, light TV viewing. Pretty much what's available on CBS, NBC, ABC, CTV or Global.

It would be my choice of 'one only' from those.

It really does seem the case that the greater the choice, the greater the difficulty in finding something worth watching. I mean, good TV is obviously out there but finding it seems to be more likely with fewer distractions.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Works for him.

Only CBC show I like is Schitts Creek.
I learnt Canadian politics from 22 minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.