Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should we / could we move to canada?

Should we / could we move to canada?

Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we / could we move to canada?

Originally Posted by IJ157
They didn't imply there was no jobs, just that it can be difficult getting a job compared to other places.
He excluded all outside of BC because decent jobs was in the OP, ergo, no decent jobs.
job prospects are shit
I think that's saying a little more than "can be difficult" don't you?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
He excluded all outside of BC because decent jobs was in the OP, ergo, no decent jobs.

Job prospects are shit. I lived in Halifax. I know loads of expats who moved there and had to move on because of the job situation. There are people on this forum who will tell you that the job situation is poor.
Not sure what denying this fact is supposed to achieve.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

They also said they loved snow and didn't like a grey winter. Why on earth would you recommend Vancouver?
Originally Posted by Jericho79
I didnt....
Er...short term memory loss?

This criteria is going to pretty much limit you to BC. Vancouver perhaps....
Here's where you say it wasn't a recommendation.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:40 am
Oscar nominated

Job prospects are shit. I lived in Halifax. I know loads of expats who moved there and had to move on because of the job situation. There are people on this forum who will tell you that the job situation is poor.
Not sure what denying this fact is supposed to achieve.
I haven't denied it. I specifically referred to fewer opportunities.

Not sure why you are denying the existence of professors, surgeons, doctors, technicians and all the rest. You excluded the region because the OP wanted the availability of decent jobs.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Er...short term memory loss?

Here's where you say it wasn't a recommendation.
That's a recommendation???

You also conveniently omitted the comments about Vancouvers crappy weather, lack of snow and crazy house prices.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Not sure why you are denying the existence of professors, surgeons, doctors, technicians and all the rest..
WTF are you talking about?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:42 am
Oscar nominated

That's a recommendation???
In the context of someone seeking suggestions, yes, it is.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:46 am
Oscar nominated

WTF are you talking about?
Decent jobs was something the OP wanted. In limiting your suggestion to "pretty much BC..." you have excluded just about everywhere else.

That's your logic when applied to skiing - no decent skiing anywhere else.

Therefore you don't consider there are decent jobs. Simple enough isn't it?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Decent jobs was something the OP wanted. In limiting your suggestion to "pretty much BC..." you have excluded just about everywhere else.

That's your logic when applied to skiing - no decent skiing anywhere else.

Therefore you don't consider there are decent jobs. Simple enough isn't it?
You've lost me. If there are other areas that offer opportunities for skiing (proper skiing, no kiddie hills), beaches/lakes, and decent jobs, great.
To me, this list speaks "BC". However, you'll see I quickly discounted Vancouver, due to the weather and lack of snow.

Nowhere did I say that there arent decent jobs in other parts of Canada.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 9:08 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

For me as a lover of snow and inexperienced downhill skier, the ski hills around me are plenty big enough... And fab for the kids too. We ski with Canadian friends and they seem to be fine with them too. There are a lot of cross country skiing trails- but looks like far too much hard work for me. When the kids are bigger we can go further afield but it's good for now. After all when you're just going for a day on the weekend with children what level of skiing do you really need?

We also have amazing lakes where we live but jobs are scarce unless you're a doctor etc.

We are two hrs away from Toronto so even if you needed to live nearer there for work, you can still travel to find what you like within a decent distance.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 9:24 am
Oscar nominated

Nowhere did I say that there arent decent jobs in other parts of Canada.
Among the OP's list was decent jobs and skiing.

You excluded other areas for not having...what were your words...oh yes "There is skiing and then there is skiing" and "not proper skiing."

By the same logic the rest of Canada should be excluded because not proper decent jobs.

I'm bowing out now coz we're just going round in circles.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I really don't.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 4:29 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Okanagan has everything you want...great snow, skiing , great summers, beautiful lakes apart from a lack of decent jobs aside from docs etc
Old Jun 16th 2015, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

LottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and debate, lots to think about. In answer to so e questions:
- skiing, we are not experts, tend to stick to the easy runs and would be with the little one.
- beaches on a lake would be fine, not fussy
- jobs would probably need to be in a reasonable size city as the types of jobs we do tend to be in the head office of a business.
- yes, plan would be for parents to follow to Canada instead of Australia. Visa process to Aus is $100k AUD and 18m wait (with me sponsoring them as a permanent resident)
- I'm leaning toward Toronto / Montreal, I've spent some time in New England and love it there so thinking that the weather etc wouldn't be too different.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 11:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LottieLamb
- yes, plan would be for parents to follow to Canada instead of Australia. Visa process to Aus is $100k AUD and 18m wait (with me sponsoring them as a permanent resident)
It's a heck of a lot cheaper than that, but sponsoring your parents to move to Canada would take much longer. You need to have at least 3 years worth of income from Canadian sources before you can apply to sponsor them, then add on the processing times for parental sponsorship, currently at 49 months for sponsor assessment and then add on the processing time for your visa office as well - Processing Times: Family Sponsorship

So just a heads up that if you want to sponsor your parents for PR, they won't be moving for at least a decade going on current processing times. They could look at a Supervisa as mentioned above, that would give them up to 2 years as temporary residents, or they would need to look at other routes to PR if they wanted to move sooner to see if they could apply independently.

HTH, good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.