Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should we / could we move to canada?

Wikiposts

Should we / could we move to canada?

Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:23 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we / could we move to canada?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's a heck of a lot cheaper than that, but sponsoring your parents to move to Canada would take much longer. You need to have at least 3 years worth of income from Canadian sources before you can apply to sponsor them, then add on the processing times for parental sponsorship, currently at 49 months for sponsor assessment and then add on the processing time for your visa office as well - Processing Times: Family Sponsorship

So just a heads up that if you want to sponsor your parents for PR, they won't be moving for at least a decade going on current processing times. They could look at a Supervisa as mentioned above, that would give them up to 2 years as temporary residents, or they would need to look at other routes to PR if they wanted to move sooner to see if they could apply independently.

HTH, good luck.

That's what I was getting at but didn't know the specifics. Op would be at least 4 years before even being able to start to sponsor parents whereas at least in Australia you must be good to sponsor now I assume anyway..
Old Jun 17th 2015, 12:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

That's what I was getting at but didn't know the specifics. Op would be at least 4 years before even being able to start to sponsor parents whereas at least in Australia you must be good to sponsor now I assume anyway..
Yep. So a year or so for the OP to get PR, then 3 years before they can apply to sponsor, then 4 years for the first stage of sponsorship, then assuming they apply via Ottawa, another 6.5 years for the second stage = 14 or 15 years before the OP's parents could join them with PR going on current processing times.

Now hopefully the new quota for parental sponsorship will bring those times down, but of course there's no guarantee of that.

So if parents joining the OP as PR's is important, I personally wouldn't have said Canada is the best choice.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 10:59 am
Just Joined

LottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to beholdLottieLamb is a splendid one to behold

Wow, I know visas are always slow but if PR for my parents is up to 15yrs then that's a bit of a deal breaker. Looks like we'll stay put in Sydney and try and set aside some money for a snowy holiday now and then.
Thanks so much to everyone for all the info, way more informative and efficient than my google searching!
Much appreciated