Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Should we / could we move to canada?

Should we / could we move to canada?

Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we / could we move to canada?

Originally Posted by colchar
Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, etc., etc., etc.

Since plenty of other areas fit their criteria they could. I don't know why you think Vancouver has a monopoly on those things.
I specifically said BC- perhaps Vancouver and Okanagan.

There is skiing and then there is skiing. No one moves to Toronto for the skiing.

Beaches and lakes? Sure, Toronto has that, but Calgary doesnt (unless you're willing to consider a couple of communities with man-made "lakes").

Montreal- they're looking at Canada for a number of reasons, but English speaking was on the list. So I'm assuming they are not looking to move to a city where English is a second language.

Atlantic region- sure- you can ski in Moncton or Halifax, but again, it's not proper skiing. Beaches and lakes are in abundance, but job prospects are shit. And most people who move there leave shortly thereafter.

You can wipe out Sask and Manitoba due to lack of ski options.

Where are the other cities which can offer beaches/lakes, skiing and decent jobs?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:12 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Toronto, that was why in my post on the first page I said that the skiing portion might depend on their appetite for travel for skiing. Most of what's around TOronto can hardly qualify, HOWEVER if they have a toddler who wants ski lessons then it might not be a bad place to learn. It's not far to travel out to Quebec or Vermont for better skiing, then a bit further to get to the Rockies (Alberta, Colorado, Utah, etc) for all-out skiing.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:42 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
This type of post isnt particularly helpful. The OP has some very clear requirements, and you've muddied the waters with saying they could move pretty much anywhere.
But I did that because your response was too restrictive.

BC only? I think there's a fairly well known ski resort near Montreal isn't there? Or doesn't it count if the rich and famous go there?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Atlantic region- sure- you can ski in Moncton or Halifax, but again, it's not proper skiing. Beaches and lakes are in abundance, but job prospects are shit. And most people who move there leave shortly thereafter.
Before my reply early I googled skiing in NS. I'm no expert but it probably counts. It doesn't appear to be just trails.

Job prospects shit? Poppycock.

Besides which, "decent" jobs was what was mentioned. Are you one of those snobs who calls people burger flippers or think that everyone outside the glamorous parts are lumberjacks and farmers? Something wrong with retail and IT? The universities and hospitals and government don't offer decent jobs?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
BC only? I think there's a fairly well known ski resort near Montreal isn't there? Or doesn't it count if the rich and famous go there?
No, I answered this already. The OP was looking to Canada because it is English speaking. So why, then, would you recommend a City where English is the second language?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Before my reply early I googled skiing in NS. I'm no expert but it probably counts. It doesn't appear to be just trails.

Besides which, "decent" jobs was what was mentioned. Are you one of those snobs who calls people burger flippers or think that everyone outside the glamorous parts are lumberjacks and farmers? Something wrong with retail and IT? The universities and hospitals and government don't offer decent jobs?
Skiing in NS is on ski hills. They are not mountains. Like I said, there is skiing and then there is skiing.

Access to decent jobs in the Atlantic region is well documented, particularly on this forum, where many of it's former habitants will tell you how dire the situation is. I'm one of those.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:59 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Montreal, yes, perhaps even Quebec City, but how does one ski near Toronto?
Yonge St can be a little steep in places
Old Jun 16th 2015, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

NS = Nova Scotia. If so, I lived there, and I wouldn't advise going there if you're seriously interested in skiing.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 7:19 am
Oscar nominated

No, I answered this already. The OP was looking to Canada because it is English speaking. So why, then, would you recommend a City where English is the second language?
There's plenty of English in Montreal as I'm sure you know.

They also said they loved snow and didn't like a grey winter. Why on earth would you recommend Vancouver?

Seriously, they had a number of "likes" and wishes. I'm sure they'd be happy with somewhere that offered most of them or all of them to some degree, some offering more of one category than another.

Are they olympic ski champions?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 7:26 am
Oscar nominated

Access to decent jobs in the Atlantic region is well documented
So who is it working in the IT industry, broadcasting world, hospitals, legal profession and universities then? Is it people just pretending to be engineers,, lawyers, programmers, doctors, professors and various technicians?

As stated, there may be fewer opportunities alongside fewer people competing for those elite posts apparently beneath you but it's idiotic to think there are no decent jobs.

Just because everything in the garden isn't rosy doesn't mean it's all manure.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 7:34 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by IJ157
NS = Nova Scotia. If so, I lived there, and I wouldn't advise going there if you're seriously interested in skiing.
Again, skiing was simply one of many things listed in the OP. Why assume it's a serious interest?

Beaches got a mention too. Maybe that means California only. Or Spain or something.

Lakes were there too. Perhaps this should mean Vancouver should be excluded because it's not near the bigger ones?

National Parks were there too. Maybe those of Nova Scotia and the skiing at, say, Le Massif or Mont Farlagne a few hours away will meet their needs.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Again, skiing was simply one of many things listed in the OP. Why assume it's a serious interest?

Beaches got a mention too. Maybe that means California only. Or Spain or something.

Lakes were there too. Perhaps this should mean Vancouver should be excluded because it's not near the bigger ones?

National Parks were there too. Maybe those of Nova Scotia and the skiing at, say, Le Massif or Mont Farlagne a few hours away will meet their needs.
I'm stating that after living in NS, skiing is hardly a major attraction.

Plus, when I lived in Halifax it was not that close by at all.

Last edited by IJ157; Jun 16th 2015 at 7:59 am.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

So who is it working in the IT industry, broadcasting world, hospitals, legal profession and universities then? Is it people just pretending to be engineers,, lawyers, programmers, doctors, professors and various technicians?

As stated, there may be fewer opportunities alongside fewer people competing for those elite posts apparently beneath you but it's idiotic to think there are no decent jobs.

Just because everything in the garden isn't rosy doesn't mean it's all manure.
They didn't imply there was no jobs, just that it can be difficult getting a job compared to other places.

Actually, Vancouver it is pretty difficult to get a job compared to the UK imo.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

would you recommend Vancouver?
I didnt....
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IJ157
I'm stating that after living in NS, skiing is hardly a major attraction.

Plus, when I lived in Halifax it was not that close by at all.

My daughter lives in the halifax area.

No downhill skiing close by. Lots of cross country skiing

The "closest" ski "hill" to Halifax would is Ski Martock ........... hill is 700' high, 7 trails, 5 lifts, 1 chair, usually open for about 100 days a year

Ski Wentworth is not much further away ........... built down the sides of a hill into a river valley. It has about an 800' drop, 3 ski lifts, no gondolas, 20 trails. We pass it on the train every time we go to NS ......... never seen much action there!

In other words, downhill skiing is considered a bit of a joke in NS. Cross country skiing is big.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.