Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

shortage of carpenters and Joiners?

shortage of carpenters and Joiners?

Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

flower-power will become famous soon enoughflower-power will become famous soon enough
Default shortage of carpenters and Joiners?

Hi all

Really getting cold feet this week and considering forgetting Canada.
Had our request a few weeks ago for the final processing fee to finalize our file and now my head is wrecked.
My husband is a carpenter and Joiner and we have lived in France for six years. The work situation here is very difficult with the exchange rate and many Brits are heading back to England and hence work is really scarce. After being self employed in England for 25years prior to moving here he has lots of work back in blighty but hes alone there and im here with the kids which doesnt lead to a great family life. However needs must. My wobbles are now do we move to Canada and find same probs with work and throw away work in England which he is really lucky to have as the building trade is in dire straits;
We were contemplating Vancouver area but that is now looking out of our reach as we will haved to near on give the house away to sell;
SO WHICH AREAS ARE CRYING OUT FOR GOOD CARPENTERS AND JOINERS?
Looking forward to any replies good or bad!!!!
regards
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shortage of carpenters and Joiners?

Originally Posted by flower-power View Post
SO WHICH AREAS ARE CRYING OUT FOR GOOD CARPENTERS AND JOINERS?
I doubt anywhere in Canada's actually crying out for carpenters/joiners. In this part of BC all the local building companies have been laying off staff over the past 18mths or so. Building work seems to showing some small signs of recovery, but I've not seen many signs of labour shortages.

Two of my own clients run construction companies, and a close friend's a carpenter, and they've all been short of work during the past year.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

flower-power will become famous soon enoughflower-power will become famous soon enough

hi Rich
thanks for the info. France is in a nightmare scenario also. Husband has been really lucky and his old clients are happy hes around in England at the moment. However its not making the decision easy. We are in catch 22, possibly not the only ones at the moment. The housing market and exchange rates are so bad. Have felt like our lives have been on hold for the last 3 years since our application and now when we should be jumping for joy that it looks like we are in we are having really serious wobbles as to whether there is the work.Daughter also of 15 years in the mix
cheers anyhow
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:26 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

You should have a look around the Maritime provinces.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it is going to be like this forever. Three years ago you could not get a carpenter for love nor money. If immigration is the goal, as it was with us, work was secondary. I took a big drop when we moved and then worked my way back up. Not always a pleasant experience, but primary goal was to live in Canada, the rest was secondary. I would say now, we are way better off than we ever would have been in the UK.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

thankyou everyone for your comments;
Looks like, as for most its a bit of a gamble in this current climate
regards
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

http://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Carpenter&l=Coquitlam%2C+BC
Good luck.Apply and hope for the best.
Yoong
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the link yoong
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Is there anybody that has recently gone to the Van area that is looking for work in the building trade and is finding that although still on the list its not quite that simple to find the work during this recession;
thanks in anticipation
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flower-power View Post
Is there anybody that has recently gone to the Van area that is looking for work in the building trade and is finding that although still on the list its not quite that simple to find the work during this recession;
thanks in anticipation
The List has no bearing on how easy it will be to obtain employment. These are simply occupations that some bureaucrat decided should be given preference over other occupations listed on the NOC lists.

One would like to think that there is a correlation between being on the list and being able to obtain work but Canada is a very large place with massive variations within each Province, let alone between each Province. To suggest that there are only 38 occupations across the whole of Canada where employers are desperate for workers is more than a little ridiculous.