Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto with Prents Job- What does the Medical involve?

Moving to Toronto with Prents Job- What does the Medical involve?

Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:49 am
Just Joined

blondie087 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Toronto with Prents Job- What does the Medical involve?

My Dad has been offered a transfer to Toronto and he, my Mum, and Sister are moving with him. I have been told I can move with them but I am only going to stay for a year as next september I am planning on coming back here to Uni and going to use between now and then as part of my gap year. My parents have now had medicals and me and my sister are due to have ours this week. I am paranoid, what exactly does it involve? I am 19 so i guess i am classed as an adult
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:05 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto with Prents Job- What does the Medical involve?

Originally Posted by blondie087
My Dad has been offered a transfer to Toronto and he, my Mum, and Sister are moving with him. I have been told I can move with them but I am only going to stay for a year as next september I am planning on coming back here to Uni and going to use between now and then as part of my gap year. My parents have now had medicals and me and my sister are due to have ours this week. I am paranoid, what exactly does it involve? I am 19 so i guess i am classed as an adult
I'm assuming by your name that you are female. Ask your mother what hers consisted of. Yours shouldn't be any different. If, by any chance, you're male then ask your father.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

What Auld Yin said.

It's a blood test, urine test, chest x-ray and a conversation with a doctor where they check your height and weight, take your blood pressure and pulse, ask if you've had any major surgeries and how often you drink.

If you're healthy then it's nothing to worry about.

However: important thing for you to know. To keep your PR status you need to fulfil residency obligations. In any given 5 year period you need to spend a total of 2 years in Canada (or overseas with a Canadian spouse or working for a Canadian business).

If you lose PR it'll be a lot harder to get it back because you'll need to gain it in your own right at that point (or wait a long time for sponsorship).
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

i am an adult woman and i had also a breast exam .,i also have a small tatoo which we had to mention at blood tests. my husband had one 10 years ago but did not have to mention this , but this was for our PR status and was done in canada , we came on work permits and only my husband had medicals in uk.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

My mum said its nothing to worry about but I find this sort of stuff very stressfull especially as I have no wish to go there with them and my sister is being press ganged into going too. My dads work have paid for everythig so far and I am not that up to spped with the visa ins and outs.
My biggest fear is that I will have to have a breast exam, and I am not sure how I stand about smear tests. My mum said she took her resualts with her, but at 19 i dont get one on the NHS. Guess I'll find out on Tuesday
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blondie087
My mum said its nothing to worry about but I find this sort of stuff very stressfull especially as I have no wish to go there with them and my sister is being press ganged into going too. My dads work have paid for everythig so far and I am not that up to spped with the visa ins and outs.
My biggest fear is that I will have to have a breast exam, and I am not sure how I stand about smear tests. My mum said she took her resualts with her, but at 19 i dont get one on the NHS. Guess I'll find out on Tuesday
Please don't worry. It doesn't take long. Express to them your worries and I am sure they will be put you at ease.

The move to Canada may not be what you had in your plans, and you may not be looking forward to it. But look at it as an opportunity to experience something new and different.
My boys were 19 and 23 (I think) when we came over. The older wasn't sure about it and the younger although previously very keen wanted to go to Austrailia instead by the time we landed.

Older one lives in Toronto and 2 and a half years later has a good job some good friends and is more settled.
The younger one loves it here but he has itchy feet and travels a bit.

I don't know what you are into but there is a good music scene in Toronto and my boys tell me usually cheaper than in the UK and sometimes free shows.

Don't worry its not all country....yee haw....unless you live where I do on the east coast.

The advice I have given my boys is to get citezenship as soon as you qualify, then if you want to go anywhere in the world you will not have to worry about the residency obligations regarding time outside of the country.
If your parents apply for permenant residence, be on the application too. Remember in the long term you don't have to live in Canada, but it would be a great shame if somewhere down the line you really wanted to, but didn't qualify.
There are enough threads on this forum from people who didn't take residency when they had the chance or who's parents were working here but din't take residency until the kids were too old to be included and I find that really sad.

I guess what Iam saying is give it a try....you never know you might love it here.
And don't worry about the medical. You will be fine and it will be over before you know it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Well i bit the bullet and went for hte medical, we had to have our chests xrayed then at a diffrent place the medicals. My sister was in and out in 15 mins and said it was nothing, i was in for a bit longer and had to have my boobs checked and becuase I havent had a smear test on the NHS had to suffer the indignity of this yesterday.
I am thankfull that I dont have to move there pemanently and can study back here next September
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:41 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick thought, and i think i may be wrong.......but.........

If you land and become a Permanent Resident in Canada, would you then be classed as an international student if you were to return to study at University in the UK?

Hope not because that could be expensive

As for your concerns about the change, i say go over there with an open mind, embrace your experiences there, and make the most of it. You never know, you may end up loving it and want to stay.

I hope everything works out well for you
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

In no way do I know anything about UK Education law but I'd be highly surprised if immigration status in another country affects rights that accrue to citizenship.

Which is a really uptight way of saying just because the OP becomes a PR doesn't affect the fact that she remains a UK Citizen and if free/cheap education is available to UK Citizens then that's what she gets.

Mind you, it's always worth double checking.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

Last I knew, you had to have been residing as a resident in the country you wanted to study to get assistance with fees. I.e If you want to go to university in Scotland, you need to prove you lived there for 6 months previous. Same with England, Wales, NI...

Perhaps it would not be so bad as a "gap year" as long as you keep some ties back home. For example, do you have a UK bank account you plan to keep open and have a UK address to send statements too? That way on applying you can explain it was a gap year and provide proof that you kept ties back here and always intended to return regardless.

Definitely check where you stand before you go though... Just to be on the safe side!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ESarge
In no way do I know anything about UK Education law but I'd be highly surprised if immigration status in another country affects rights that accrue to citizenship.

Which is a really uptight way of saying just because the OP becomes a PR doesn't affect the fact that she remains a UK Citizen and if free/cheap education is available to UK Citizens then that's what she gets.

Mind you, it's always worth double checking.
Not true...British citizen or not you must be a resident of the UK for the preceding 3 years before you enter uni. Although I have read posts in the MBTTUK forum that some unis have bent the rules a little.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 7th 2009 at 2:25 pm.