Shopping

Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping

Not sure about Vancouver, but generally I've found that Internet shopping in Canada doesn't save you much compared to buying locally, as prices are usually similar and may well be lower in local stores than places like Amazon. Plus shipping takes much longer than the UK.

I was reading yesterday that a number of stores in Vancouver are closing down because the Olympics are pushing property taxes so high that they can't afford to operate anymore, with some seeing taxes go up 200-300% over the last few years.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PurpleLotus
Havent been yet, but Bellingham is supposed to be the place to shop over the border... I have a friend in the States who is considering moving there, so I'll be meeting up with her there at some point soon to have a ''look around''...well... ok you got me... to shop lol

Purps :-)
There is the Bellis Fair mall in Bellingham that a lot of Canadian shoppers head to. It has a Macys, JC Penny, Sears, Target and lots of smaller stores. It is mostly clothing so has very limited interest to me.

There is an outlet mall to the north of Seattle. Exit 202 from I5 (so 74 miles south of the border). I've never been.

I love to visit Seattle. It is a great city to walk around, there are lots of parks and beaches, loads to do. I don't want to waste my time traipsing around stores.

I honestly can't see what is supposed to be wrong with shopping in Vancouver. There are loads of stores that seem to cater for all tastes. But then I am a man (and a man who happily buys his clothes from Winners, or Mark's Workwear if my OH is not looking), so what do I know ...
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

PurpleLotus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is the Bellis Fair mall in Bellingham that a lot of Canadian shoppers head to. It has a Macys, JC Penny, Sears, Target and lots of smaller stores. It is mostly clothing so has very limited interest to me.

There is an outlet mall to the north of Seattle. Exit 202 from I5 (so 74 miles south of the border). I've never been.

I love to visit Seattle. It is a great city to walk around, there are lots of parks and beaches, loads to do. I don't want to waste my time traipsing around stores.

I honestly can't see what is supposed to be wrong with shopping in Vancouver. There are loads of stores that seem to cater for all tastes. But then I am a man (and a man who happily buys his clothes from Winners, or Mark's Workwear if my OH is not looking), so what do I know ...
Jonboy, personally i like shopping in Vancouver too and havent got any complaints... my 'shopping' is usually done in bookstores, rather than clothes stores to be honest lol ;-)
Old May 4th 2008, 3:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PurpleLotus
Jonboy, personally i like shopping in Vancouver too and havent got any complaints... my 'shopping' is usually done in bookstores, rather than clothes stores to be honest lol ;-)
It may be worth shopping for books in the US. US prices for new books are often 25%-30% lower than Canadian prices. BC does not charge sales tax on books so there is only 5% GST to pay when you bring them back into Canada.

There is a Barnes & Noble (a bit like Chapters) on the corner of Bakerview and Meridien in Bellingham close by Bellis Fair. I am sure there must be some interesting bookstores in Seattle if you hunt around.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

What he ^^ said.

Not only is there the price difference and the better selection, but quite often new books are out months before they appear in Canada in the US, and I'm impatient